+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1
    Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Noremac_143 is on a distinguished road Noremac_143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    13 Jun 2015 @ 12:30 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Posts
    19

    A little help with choosing a path?

    I'm skirted around the pagan community for, around, the last five or six years. Ever since I left Christianity about 7 years ago, I've never been part of "specific" religion and I've been on the outskirts of quite a few different "spiritual paths". I've dabble in almost everything since then, but never really "sticking" with anything. Because of how generalized some, definitely not all, of my beliefs are, I feel like I fall into multiple different groups, while always being an outsider at the same time. Going with that, I pool from large group of ideas and ideologies, some of which I'm not sure even apply to paganism at all.

    1. I am a pantheist/panentheist(depending on how you view it) and, possibly(?), a soft polytheist. I believe in the interconnectedness of the universe and that the divine insects and is part of everything. I also believe that this being is beyond the physical universe. This "thing" doesn't have a body or any remotely human qualities, but I believe that the divine may appear as it wills. This includes the deities of the various different religions. From my understanding, the divine is viewed in a way related to culture and history. In that way, I assume that I'm universalistic.

    2. My beliefs in the "otherworld" is somewhere between reincarnation and the pagan views of an "afterlife". Honestly, I have my ideas, but I think your life now is more important that the possible outcomes of an afterlife.

    3. Although a viable option of religious and spiritual practice for other people, I don't practice magic. The occult and magic have always been interesting to me, but I don't thank that that is something that I'm going for in my spiritual practices. With that in mind, I do find Spiritualism and communication with the dead the most interesting. Somewhat related, I don't go for spiritual healing practices either.

    4. I believe in light and dark forces that are inherent in the fabric of the cosmos. Instead of polar opposites opposing each other, it's more like everything is a grey area meshed together with only the extreme edges being "truly" black and white. With that, I also believe that there are entities in the universe that wish to cause harm and help people. Not specifically like the Christian Satan, but things "somewhat" similar.

    5. Because of my pan(en)theistic views I an spiritually inclined towards nature. Although I wouldn't say that I worship nature, or anything particularly for that matter, I do feel a deep reverence for and tranquility in nature.

    6. In regards to the pan(en)theism, I'm not entirely sure if there are incarnations of the divine among humanity. If that happened, to me at least, the "incarnation" would represent the manifestation of the divine that is inherent in everyone and has been fully tapped into. Because of the inherent dark and light in everyone, this could range from someone extremely "good" to someone extremely "evil". To tap into oneself is to tap into the divine.
    Last edited by Noremac_143; 11 Aug 2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: grammar

  2. #2
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    katbast is on a distinguished road katbast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    14 Sep 2016 @ 10:25 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Orthodoxy and Other
    Posts
    88

    Re: A little help with choosing a path?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noremac_143 View Post
    I'm skirted around the pagan community for, around, the last five or six years. Ever since I left Christianity about 7 years ago, I've never been part of "specific" religion and I've been on the outskirts of quite a few different "spiritual paths". I've dabble in almost everything since then, but never really "sticking" with anything. Because of how generalized some, definitely not all, of my beliefs are, I feel like I fall into multiple different groups, while always being an outsider at the same time. Going with that, I pool from large group of ideas and ideologies, some of which I'm not sure even apply to paganism at all.
    I would start by reading, eventually you will likely find something that feels right to you. Check out Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler, it is a very good overall view of many forms of paganism. If it really bothers you to not have a label, call yourself an eclectic pagan. Basically that means you identify as a pagan but you pull from various groups.

    For your nature affinity, maybe check out druidry? Ár nDraíocht Féin is one I personally like.

    My boyfriend is a bit like you in that he pulls from different paths and makes his own way. He identifies and eclectic wiccan. I follow Kemetic orthodoxy and ADF (I also do not do much in the way of magic). I personally know more than a few people who might lean more towards one path but also mix in a little of some others. From what I have experienced it seems fairly normal.

    Take you time and find what path suits you. There are plenty out there.

  3. #3
    Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Noremac_143 is on a distinguished road Noremac_143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    13 Jun 2015 @ 12:30 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Posts
    19

    Re: A little help with choosing a path?

    Quote Originally Posted by katbast View Post
    For your nature affinity, maybe check out druidry? Ár nDraíocht Féin is one I personally like.
    Ironically, I've been interested in druidry very recently. The thing with me is that I'm not entirely sure if you could even call what I believe in "paganism" or anything really in the pagan realm. I feel like it's such a mishmash of things that I believe in from all the religions I've run into that I can't really fall under a "true path", if it were.

    I'd love to be able to join a group of like-minded, or at least somewhat similar, individuals, but I always tend to find something in "specific" groups that throw me off. I guess I'm always in this "want - don't want" state.

  4. #4
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered
    a.walker.abroad is on a distinguished road a.walker.abroad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    20 Jun 2015 @ 02:06 AM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Appalachia
    Religion
    animistic, pantheistic, folk-ish, solitary, non-initiated luciferian hedgewitch
    Pronouns
    he/him/his
    Posts
    45

    Re: A little help with choosing a path?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noremac_143 View Post
    I'd love to be able to join a group of like-minded, or at least somewhat similar, individuals, but I always tend to find something in "specific" groups that throw me off. I guess I'm always in this "want - don't want" state.
    No group is going to be perfect. All you can really do is try to find a group that's close to what you're looking for, and accept that you're a little different than the rest of the group ( there's nothing wrong with different. I rather enjoy it), or move on and look for something else.

    That is of couse assuming you have to have a group or label. There is absolutly nothing wrong with say eclectic and doing your own thing.

  5. #5
    Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Noremac_143 is on a distinguished road Noremac_143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    13 Jun 2015 @ 12:30 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Posts
    19

    Re: A little help with choosing a path?

    Quote Originally Posted by a.walker.abroad View Post
    That is of couse assuming you have to have a group or label. There is absolutly nothing wrong with say eclectic and doing your own thing.
    I think my main issue is whether or not I am "pagan". That's kinda why I'm asking about a path. Besides an extremely eclectic version of paganism, I don't think I'm really all that pagan. To me, I'd be so eclectic that I'm no longer pagan and I would just be stretching the term thin. It doesn't help that I learn more towards a monotheistic mindset. Even when viewing gods as aspect of one divine, I view them more as how WE view the singularity, rather than a multiplicity of divinities creating a whole.

  6. #6
    Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Aiwelin will become famous soon enough Aiwelin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    22 Dec 2015 @ 01:27 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Midwest
    Religion
    Heathenry with ADF
    Posts
    382

    Re: A little help with choosing a path?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noremac_143 View Post
    I think my main issue is whether or not I am "pagan". That's kinda why I'm asking about a path. Besides an extremely eclectic version of paganism, I don't think I'm really all that pagan. To me, I'd be so eclectic that I'm no longer pagan and I would just be stretching the term thin. It doesn't help that I learn more towards a monotheistic mindset. Even when viewing gods as aspect of one divine, I view them more as how WE view the singularity, rather than a multiplicity of divinities creating a whole.
    Actually, if druidry interests you, you might like to check out OBOD, the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids. I'm not sure if they even call themselves an officially Pagan organization - there are so many diverse viewpoints, including many quite like yours, Noremac. Official membership and the learning course go together and are quite expensive, but you can access some of the forums for free and meet some likeminded people that way
    Devotee of Nerthus
    Worshipper of Germanic Deities
    Now blogging on Patheos Pagan! Check out Heathen at Heart

    In the Nebraska-Iowa area? Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
    Ár nDraíocht Féin
    The Troth

  7. #7
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    katbast is on a distinguished road katbast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Last Online
    14 Sep 2016 @ 10:25 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Orthodoxy and Other
    Posts
    88

    Re: A little help with choosing a path?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noremac_143 View Post
    I think my main issue is whether or not I am "pagan". That's kinda why I'm asking about a path. Besides an extremely eclectic version of paganism, I don't think I'm really all that pagan. To me, I'd be so eclectic that I'm no longer pagan and I would just be stretching the term thin. It doesn't help that I learn more towards a monotheistic mindset. Even when viewing gods as aspect of one divine, I view them more as how WE view the singularity, rather than a multiplicity of divinities creating a whole.

    I'm going to stick with don't worry about labeling yourself. Just look around and see what feels right to you and take your time deciding what you are. Maybe you will mix and match, maybe none of the good ole pagan stuffs feel right.

  8. #8
    Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Noremac_143 is on a distinguished road Noremac_143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    13 Jun 2015 @ 12:30 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Posts
    19

    Re: A little help with choosing a path?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aiwelin View Post
    Actually, if druidry interests you, you might like to check out OBOD, the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids. I'm not sure if they even call themselves an officially Pagan organization - there are so many diverse viewpoints, including many quite like yours, Noremac. Official membership and the learning course go together and are quite expensive, but you can access some of the forums for free and meet some likeminded people that way
    As someone in Druidry, which form of Druidry would you say would fit my beliefs, as shown above? I was checking out ADF and I liked some of what they were going at. If I was working with a pagan pantheon it would be Norse deities and I noticed that you're a Heathen and Druid, so that gives some view point for me as too how open they are. The only pagan friend I have is actually a Christo-Norse Pagan (leaning much much much towards the Norse side), so he definitely gives me some interesting back drop.

    I've noticed that the fees are pretty expensive and I'm a pretty poor individual, in all honesty

  9. #9
    Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Noremac_143 is on a distinguished road Noremac_143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    13 Jun 2015 @ 12:30 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Posts
    19

    Re: A little help with choosing a path?

    Quote Originally Posted by katbast View Post
    I'm going to stick with don't worry about labeling yourself. Just look around and see what feels right to you and take your time deciding what you are. Maybe you will mix and match, maybe none of the good ole pagan stuffs feel right.
    Of the pagan pantheons, I'm most interested in Norse and Heathenry. I've noticed that hard polytheism, folkish (to, sadly, racist) beliefs, and a basis towards being non-eclectic are especially prevalent in the Heathen community. These "stereotypes", and person experiences, have made me shy away from Heathenry. Because of that, among other things, I don't particularly feel "at home" within the community, along with aforementioned discussions.

  10. #10
    Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Album picturesVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J has much to be proud of Naomi J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:12 AM
    Country
    UK
    Location
    London, UK
    Religion
    Modern British druidry, Gaelic polytheism, dedicant of Cailleach Bhearra, Narnian, Unitarian-ish
    Pronouns
    she/her
    Posts
    1,966

    Re: A little help with choosing a path?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noremac_143 View Post
    As someone in Druidry, which form of Druidry would you say would fit my beliefs, as shown above?
    There's plenty of room for your mix of beliefs in OBOD. As Aiwelin says, they're a very diverse organization. While they have no official doctrine, you'd encounter a lot of people who share many of your beliefs in OBOD. They do have high fees for the courses (although it's free to stay a member after you've received the bardic grade materials, so overall it actually works out very cheap), but they will talk to people about negotiating on the fees if they really can't afford them.
    “Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” – Rumi

    Stone Onto Sand

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Choosing the right spell
    By Unakite5 in forum Magic and the Occult for Beginners
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12 Feb 2014, 08:55 AM
  2. Tips on Choosing a College?
    By Juni in forum College Pagans SIG
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 7 Aug 2013, 09:59 AM
  3. Choosing a Pantheon
    By Cali in forum Paganism For Beginners
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25 Mar 2013, 06:05 PM
  4. Choosing a Name
    By Five More Years in forum Paganism For Beginners
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 8 Feb 2013, 05:44 PM
  5. Questions on choosing the right spell
    By fallenangel in forum Magic and the Occult for Beginners
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 22 Feb 2012, 07:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts