Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Books: Impulse Buys of Pagan Books  (Read 7872 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Impulse Buys of Pagan Books
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:17:22 pm »
I'm curious...

1. What pagan-themed books have you bought purely on impulse?
(NOT, for example, "I'm Asatruar and I've always wanted to read the prose Edda, so I finally picked up a copy")

2. How/where did you encounter/find out about this book?

3. What made you decide to buy it?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:19:18 am by RandallS »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Re: Impulse Buys of Pagan Books
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:43:19 pm »
Quote from: Altair;155073
I'm curious...

(NOT, for example, "I'm Asatruar and I've always wanted to read the prose Edda, so I finally picked up a copy")

Technically I don't "buy" any impromptu books, since they're free from Kindle. But I like to browse through the Religion & Spirituality books on Amazon after I sort them by price. There are pages upon pages of free stuff, and if I find something interesting, I'll order it.

Once I found a short (8 pages) e-"book" called Why Evolutionists are Stupid and Christians are Not.

Evolutionists believe that we were all once just a bunch of goop called premortal soup or something stupid like that.
Christians do not believe this.
Evolutionists believe that after a few more billion years we decided to stop being stupid monkeys and evolve into our final forms as humans and start making rocket ships.
Christians do not believe this.
As you can clearly see, Christians are much smarter than evolutionists.

Is it satire? Absolutely. Is it hilarious? Completely.

Is it "pagan"? Not really, but it's too funny not to share.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 02:46:43 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;155077

"As you can clearly see, Christians are much smarter than evolutionists."

I could never buy that book, because the grammar is so messed up. That should be "much more smarter." ;)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 02:52:15 pm »
Quote from: Altair;155078
I could never buy that book, because the grammar is so messed up. That should be "much more smarter." ;)

It was free when I got it, which was the only reason I did. I went back to it on Amazon and now it's actually 99 cents. Go figure.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 03:34:44 pm »
I'm curious...

I'm such an avid book buyer. Asking me to pinpoint a specific book I've bought on impulse is like asking about a midafternoon snack I might have eaten two weeks ago. What time did I have that snack? Was it chips or popcorn? I DON'T KNOW ANYMORE. ;) The thing is, in Greensboro I was able to finance this by selling unwanted books. Both a general used bookstore and my favorite occult store gave very good prices on the stuff I brought in. There was a lot of recycling going on!

I *do* remember buying a book called something like "An Encyclopedia of Magical Ingredients" or "Spell Ingredients" or something like that. Whatever the exact title, I picked it up because it looked like it might be useful. Rather thin for an encyclopedia, though....;) After a couple of days, I realized how shallow the author's understanding of the lore behind her correspondences was. It had to go. So I took it to the occult store with a few other titles and traded it toward new reading material.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 03:44:22 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;155080

I *do* remember buying a book called something like "An Encyclopedia of Magical Ingredients" or "Spell Ingredients" or something like that. Whatever the exact title, I picked it up because it looked like it might be useful.

So you found it by browsing the shelves at your local occult bookstore? Or by some other means?

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 04:38:11 pm »
I'm curious...

1. ... mmm, about half of them? Like RedFaery, I wouldn't know where to start.

2. Mostly Smashwords/Kindle/Lulu or in used bookstores. Bookmans and Powell's are both really awful for it. Back when I had a Trusted Local Northern Pagan Store I bought books there.

3. Because they were there and looked interesting. Interesting cover copy + not too expensive = coming home or getting downloaded. Or in the latter case, because Mike recommended them.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 05:18:40 pm »
I'm curious...

1. Too many to list.

2. Free kindle copies mainly. Sometimes cheap used books from amazon marketplace. Very rarely from actual bookshops as they don't tend to have pagan book here.

3. Free stuff may be shit but it's still free. May as well download it :p Or it's cheap (less than 3 quid including delivery ) and looks fairly interesting. Anything more expensive tend to get added to a wish list to see if the kindle price goes down at a later date. (Just had that with 3 books I added to a wish list a few years ago. Tenner for paperback, £6ish for kindle but last week I happened to check that wish list and they were 60p each. I downloaded them. )

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 06:52:45 pm »
I'm curious...

Sometimes I'll see something in the discount section at the bookstore, or at the thrift shop - in the latter case, I grab it right away because chances are it'll be gone by the next time I go. I got my copy of "Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods" this way.

Most of my impulse-buy books are cheap novels of varying quality.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 07:04:23 pm »
Quote from: Altair;155081
So you found it by browsing the shelves at your local occult bookstore? Or by some other means?

Barnes & Noble, actually. A lot of the stuff I get there ends up getting recycled! It's hard to find stuff that isn't shallow, fluffy, or just not what I'm actually looking for at the bigger stores. They do tend to have the bigger names and more brand new stuff, but that's not always good. Like....the only copies of SRW I've seen at my favorite occult store were used. :D: In fact, they looked like someone had cracked them open and gone "WTF???" Barnes & Noble has the Big Name Pagans, alright. Including the bad ones. With the small shops, it's really about the inclination of the owners.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 03:55:43 am »

I can't look at my bookcase right now, so there may be more but the one I remember for sure is Plants of the Gods: Their Sacred, Healing, and Hallucinogenic Powers by Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hofmann, and Christian Rätsch.

I was at Fields on my visit to San Francisco, with erinnightwalker.

A) Vacation money-spending time; b) it's about sacred/healing/psychoactive plants, with full color pictures. That's really all the convincing I needed.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 04:55:19 am »
Quote from: Morag;155139
A) Vacation money-spending time; b) it's about sacred/healing/psychoactive plants, with full color pictures. That's really all the convincing I needed.

We're not a hard-to-convince bunch, are we?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Astrid

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 05:00:31 am »
I'm curious...

I've bought a lot of books fairly impulsively. I make regular trips to a nearby op shop, where I often make purchases. I also love going through the sale section on the Book Depository or Booktopia websites and seeing what I can find. And I often buy books if I'm watching a YouTube video, for example, and someone mentions a book and it sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Almost all of the books I own I either purchased second hand or online.

A recent impulse buy was an introductory book to Jung's work. I've been wanting to read some more about Jung and his work for a while but had never really gotten around to finding a certain book I wanted. This one I found at the op shop - it was in pretty good condition, looked interesting enough and was only $2, so I bought it! That's a pretty typical transaction for me. :)

"We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out"  - Delenn, Babylon 5

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 06:42:20 am »
Quote from: Astrid;155142
I also love going through the sale section on the Book Depository or Booktopia websites and seeing what I can find. And I often buy books if I'm watching a YouTube video, for example, and someone mentions a book and it sounds like something I'd be interested in.

First, to everyone, thanks for the feedback; I'm digesting it all.

Second, to Astrid: Is there a particular YouTube video series you go to where you've found out about some of your pagan book impulse buys?

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 02:39:35 pm »
I'm curious...

I'm pretty sure I bought Starhawk's The Spiral Dance on a whim from a local pagan store. But that was actually quite recently (within the last year). Hmm. I think the earliest book that would count would've been Margot Adler's Drawing Down the Moon (one of the more recent editions). I might've picked it up at Chapters having recognized the name, but I'm not 100% certain. I'm really wary about purchasing things, so. :)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Tags: