Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Books: Impulse Buys of Pagan Books  (Read 7874 times)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
Re: Impulse Buys of Pagan Books
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 05:11:55 pm »
Quote from: Altair;155073
I'm curious...

1. What pagan-themed books have you bought purely on impulse?
(NOT, for example, "I'm Asatruar and I've always wanted to read the prose Edda, so I finally picked up a copy")

2. How/where did you encounter/find out about this book?

3. What made you decide to buy it?

This is really hard for me to answer, because most of my pagan book impulse-buying was a very long time ago, and driven by the conditions of that time, and my (still-novice) level of knowledge - when there are only maaaaybe half a dozen, at most, pagan books in the bookstore, you grab whichever one seems least cheesy. And use lots of salt.

Once I became able to be more selective, both by my own knowledge levels and by an increasing number of books being available, I was more selective, and revelled in being able to be - I was used to going for 'what seems least cheesy/most reliable?' and stuck to that, which meant I would spend quite a long time carefully assessing.

So about the only instance I can think of that's recent enough for me to be able to recall details is, the time, probably 11 or 12 years ago, that Mimi who owned the local witchy shop shoved a copy of Ellen Cannon Reed's The Heart of Wicca into my hands. I think it was just that she was showing it to me before she shelved it (it had just arrived), but I interpreted it as 'You must read this!!' and bought it with minimal examination - just about enough to make sure there wasn't some obvious thing that she wanted me to comment on just then.

Once I read it, I was sure she'd been pointing me to it as a must-read - but it turned out she hadn't yet read it herself :).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 11:19:49 am »
I'm curious...

(NOT, for example, "I'm Asatruar and I've always wanted to read the prose Edda, so I finally picked up a copy")

New answer.

1. One of Tylluan Perry's books.
2. This weekend at a pagan festival.
3. Because she's an awesome lady, we had a lovely chat about dogs, her talk was wonderful plus I could ask her to sign it (which she did).

katbast

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 09:43:06 pm »
I'm curious...

Let me just say that Amazon.com is a dirty enabler. ;) My most recent impulse buy was Irish Cures, Mystic Charms & Superstitions by Lady Wilde.

Found this book poking through ADF stuffs.

It was only $4 (with shipping) and it looked interesting. It was interesting. Read it at work one day, a coworker and I had fun discussing how some of the remedies were valid and which were just odd.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:44:19 pm by katbast »

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 10:14:54 pm »
I'm curious...

I bought "The Craft" by Dorothy Morrison and "The Inner Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft" by Christopher Penczak on impulse a while ago. Not sure what made me buy them, I just thought they seemed interesting, so I ordered them on Amazon, only to find they weren't really my cup of tea. They may be decent books, but just not what I was looking for.

I think I was just trying to get back into neo-paganism after a period of strict reconstructionism in which I felt limited, and being around very anti-religious atheists, so I kept my spiritual thoughts to myself for a while. I got to a point where I just enthusiastically tried to rediscover a path where I felt the most free and inspired, and I just ordered books after only superficially browsing. I sold them in mint condition to a used bookstore for much less than I paid for them, so I hope someone is getting good use out of them for a bargain price :p
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:15:47 pm by Nyktelios »

Astrid

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 03:17:32 am »
Quote from: Altair;155232
Second, to Astrid: Is there a particular YouTube video series you go to where you've found out about some of your pagan book impulse buys?

Owlmoon513 talks about tarot and oracle cards, and has a few videos of book recommendations.

The Four Queens has some videos talking about topics like chaos and shadow magic, and often mentions books she's reading.

The guys on The Pagan Perspective often mention books. And if you like one of the hosts, you can always check out their personal channel.

SummerStitchinWitch is one of my favourite YouTubers. She has a few videos on books, too.

Those are just some I can think of that I've watched recently. :)

"We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out"  - Delenn, Babylon 5

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 03:26:27 pm »
I'm curious...

1. Anything going for free or under £1 on the Kindle. I still do it.
2. Beyond those, last winter I picked up Soraya's Kitchen Witch at The Works. (I do spend unhealthy lengths of time in discount bookstores...)
3. I got it for the recipes, as I want not just to learn to cook, but also cook in season. Honestly. Even in my pagan days, I was most definitely not Wiccan in my practice, so the rituals had nothing for me. I ended up glueing those pages together, so I don't have to flip back and forth through them to get to the actual recipe parts.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 06:54:21 pm »
I'm curious...

I don't buy too many books on impulse, but those I do generally have certain things in common. The most likely impulse purchase is a book that is:

• Related to some topic that's been buzzing around my brain - those ideas you get stuck on for awhile, as opposed to long term interests, which tend to have reading lists attached already.
  • Recommended by someone I trust or has a few well-written positive reviews.
  • Available on Kindle - I try hard not to accumulate too many physical books, as we need space in the house for, y'know, walking around, and between the two of us we could fill the living room in about six weeks. If it's not available as an e-book then I really need to think about whether I want to give it space on the shelf.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 03:44:59 pm »
I'm curious...

Many years ago when I still was able to go to the bookfair which is in several cities here in NL each year, I used to impulse buy from the tables which had paganism/witchy/new age type books. Most of them where really not very good, just sort of average. Some where slightly interesting like Nicholas Culpeper Herbal but the book printing blotchy ink is very bad quality. And so tedious to read and the olde english language is quite cumbersome to comprehend. I do try and read a few pages once in a while.:)

Tags: