collapse

Author Topic: Money drawing spells -- opinions please  (Read 11245 times)

NatureMade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Money drawing spells -- opinions please
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:24:56 pm »
I have known a lot of people lately who have resorted to money or prosperity spells because of our sick economy and their lack of income. I have never done one myself (despite being in a similar situation as regards finances) because, quite frankly, I can't believe they would work. Here's why...

If a witch or sorceror/sorceress, etc. had the power to invoke riches, then why wouldn't all of them be rich? I mean, with that kind of power, why do they sell spells on ebay or waste time doing the 9 to 5 routine? Why not, just ask for the winning numbers of the next big lottery or keep using money drawing spells to rake in the bucks? In other words, if they work, why aren't all witches wealthy? (And for that matter, why would they give away the secret by telling others how to do them?)

With other spells -- like love or protection spells, the outcome is sort of arbitrary even after it happens, so you don't really know if it worked or not. But with money, its kind of hard to not know you have it or don't have it. It is not so arbitrary.

What do you think? Do they work? Have you ever had an experience with one of these type spells?

ZombyFrogg

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Money drawing spells -- opinions please
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:58:05 pm »
Quote from: NatureMade;15234
I have known a lot of people lately who have resorted to money or prosperity spells because of our sick economy and their lack of income. I have never done one myself (despite being in a similar situation as regards finances) because, quite frankly, I can't believe they would work. Here's why...

If a witch or sorceror/sorceress, etc. had the power to invoke riches, then why wouldn't all of them be rich? I mean, with that kind of power, why do they sell spells on ebay or waste time doing the 9 to 5 routine? Why not, just ask for the winning numbers of the next big lottery or keep using money drawing spells to rake in the bucks? In other words, if they work, why aren't all witches wealthy? (And for that matter, why would they give away the secret by telling others how to do them?)

With other spells -- like love or protection spells, the outcome is sort of arbitrary even after it happens, so you don't really know if it worked or not. But with money, its kind of hard to not know you have it or don't have it. It is not so arbitrary.

What do you think? Do they work? Have you ever had an experience with one of these type spells?

I think that the universe knows these people need the money and by doing the spell they give the universe an extra umph, or "hey can you help please" kinda thing and the unverse tries to help. I think if people did it too much the universe would realize it was greed and not need. Of course that is just my opinon.

Garm

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:07:04 am »
If a witch or sorceror/sorceress, etc. had the power to invoke riches, then why wouldn't all of them be rich? I mean, with that kind of power, why do they sell spells on ebay or waste time doing the 9 to 5 routine? Why not, just ask for the winning numbers of the next big lottery or keep using money drawing spells to rake in the bucks?

IMHO

There is always a cost, a trade off of some sort to be dealt with, and if you are drawing money the payment might have to be made in emotional terms.

It is also said that having the spiritual power to do something like that also brings with it a sense of responsibility to threads of wyrd and the universal balance. And being as evolved as that one is usually content to live like a monk.
"I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone.  But they have always worked for me"
---Hunter S Thompson

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:19:33 am »

There's a bunch of assumptions in your question - for example, some of us like our jobs, and would be doing something like them even if we didn't get paid for them (and like some of the other things, like health insurance, that are complicated to arrange otherwise if you have pre-existing conditions.)

And also, the assumption that everyone wants lots of money - me, I'm happy with 'enough to pay my bills, save for retirement, and be able to travel occasionally", which does not (having just moved to an area with a low cost of living) come out to a very large amount in actual dollar terms.

(I'm also of the opinion that ethically managing a large amount of money is something that's a kind of challenge I don't particularly want to devote my time to: I know enough about it to know how complex it is, and the kinds of pressures people with money to give get from a variety of fronts.)

But more to the point - I have done prosperity spells in several formats, and they work very well for me when it's about building sustainable finances (help me get past this particular challenge in paying my bills, help me keep going through a long period of unemployment, that kind of thing.)

I think there are some good solid theoretical reasons why 'win the lottery' spells don't work well for most people. For example, most of us can clearly visualise what "I'm able to pay X bill" looks like. Or even "Here's what a sustainable budget for living in this place looks like, help me find a job that lets me do that."

However, most people don't have a lot of experience with having a very large amount of money (and the people who do, don't generally need to win the lottery, so they have less incentive...)

That said, I don't think that money spells done by other people are terribly effective - after all, they don't want the same things you want, or for the same reasons.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

NatureMade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:40:52 pm »
Quote from: ZombyFrogg;15250
I think if people did it too much the universe would realize it was greed and not need.

Quote from: Garm;15275
IMHO

There is always a cost, a trade off of some sort to be dealt with, and if you are drawing money the payment might have to be made in emotional terms.

It is also said that having the spiritual power to do something like that also brings with it a sense of responsibility to threads of wyrd and the universal balance. And being as evolved as that one is usually content to live like a monk.

Quote from: Jenett;15311
There's a bunch of assumptions in your question - for example, some of us like our jobs, and would be doing something like them even if we didn't get paid for them (and like some of the other things, like health insurance, that are complicated to arrange otherwise if you have pre-existing conditions.)

And also, the assumption that everyone wants lots of money - me, I'm happy with 'enough to pay my bills, save for retirement, and be able to travel occasionally", which does not (having just moved to an area with a low cost of living) come out to a very large amount in actual dollar terms.

(I'm also of the opinion that ethically managing a large amount of money is something that's a kind of challenge I don't particularly want to devote my time to: I know enough about it to know how complex it is, and the kinds of pressures people with money to give get from a variety of fronts.)

But more to the point - I have done prosperity spells in several formats, and they work very well for me when it's about building sustainable finances (help me get past this particular challenge in paying my bills, help me keep going through a long period of unemployment, that kind of thing.)

I think there are some good solid theoretical reasons why 'win the lottery' spells don't work well for most people. For example, most of us can clearly visualise what "I'm able to pay X bill" looks like. Or even "Here's what a sustainable budget for living in this place looks like, help me find a job that lets me do that."

However, most people don't have a lot of experience with having a very large amount of money (and the people who do, don't generally need to win the lottery, so they have less incentive...)

That said, I don't think that money spells done by other people are terribly effective - after all, they don't want the same things you want, or for the same reasons.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful replies.

Its interesting that the three of you have collectively raised precisely the points I have considered in those moments when I have been tempted to do a prosperity spell and want to talk myself into believing they may work. However my rational, no-nonsense self tends to gain just enough precedence to stop my going ahead. The logical me says there is no such thing as magic, but the spiritual me says of course there is! So I argue with myselves constantly. That is why I like to throw out these questions "full of assumptions" sometimes -- to get real opinions instead of humoring bromides.

I actually sort of see how these type spells (and others) could work logically as well as spiritually. The time and concentration necessary to focus on the issue, as well as the kind of relaxation into self-hypnosis from chanting, looking into a flame, and so on, create an atmosphere conducive to reflection. Often we can solve our own problems more effectively by taking the time to really think about them. When we are calm, our inner voice is more easily heard than when we are surrounded by the daily clatter.

The fact is that like you, Jennet, we (my husband and I) don't really need a lot of money or even want the responsibility for it. Right now I would be thrilled if we could raise about $400 to pay the outstanding vet bill and get the expired license tag on our truck taken care of before we get a ticket! We already do live -- as you mentioned, Garm, like monks. And we love it most of the time!

Maybe I will try a spell. I have certainly tried everything else I can think of to this point (to no avail). I know quite a few simple spells that purport to work, but they seem a bit too simple to me. (That is my skeptic voice working on me already;)). Anyone have a good spell or technique they would care to share?

Aubrey_Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 12:46:02 pm »

Similar to waht Jenett said- You should not assume that people are doing it to rake in the big bucks. Its not an instant win.
For example, my boyfriend has been searching for a job, so to help him out a bit I created a sachet full of herbs to attract luck, and prosperity, to give him confidence and maybe the final push he really needs to attract employment to him.
I have found that they do work for us, we never make a million dollars, however, something usually happens (like a killer night waitressing for me) that will push us up over the top so that we can get our bills paid on time.

That's all we're asking for, I think if you were to get greedy about it the universe would not respond.

And I don't consider any of my spells arbitrary, I can usually see a real outcome, maybe not in the way I expected but still, it is clearly there. In my mind there is no "well maybe it's just a coincidence" , if you start thinking like that then your Spirits are going to stop helping you, you need to be greatful for what they have done.

Hope this helps you understand a little bit more.
If we all lived a little greener, Then perhaps our children\'s children will live a little longer.
--Rose

Lecia Hale

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 01:55:06 pm »

I find that with prosperity work that things that I need or want can be had in ways other than getting more money. Having a large amount of money usually takes a lot of sacrifice, even with magical help. For my work/life balance, I require less money, more time to pursue things I'm passionate about that don't earn much.

Prosperity is also an ongoing thing. If you do one spell, and it works, what happens when the money is gone? What happens when you do a spell to get a promotion, and a year later they have massive layoffs due to the economy? It has happened to me. Instead of doing the occasional money spell, I now keep an ongoing prosperity working to keep money flowing into my life.

Also, like others have said, I don't feel a desire to be rich.  Magic doesn't have to work in big obvious ways. Most of the time it works on a smaller scale, but that smaller scale is a lot better than nothing at all.
Bedazzlecat who sucks at signatures...

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 11:00:04 am »

It's my personal thought that the ones that are advertised and sold are garbage. As you said, if they worked for the seller, they wouldn't need to sell them. If there needs to be some sort of "exchange," it would be better to ask you to help someone in need as your half of the deal.

I think it is possible, but I'm working in a Kemetic (ancient Egyptian) context of Heka, so that's my perspective.

I also see them like a lever or teeter-totter. It's hard for me to lift myself up, all by myself. However, if you sit on the other end, a bit closer to the center, maybe it's possible for me to lift you? Then you can do something to lift me? Or somebody else that needs it. That all ties in to Ma'at somehow.

The other part of it is that Heka-magic usually needs a practical component to work. If I want a good job, I have to figure out how to describe my skills, write an effective resume, and apply to the right businesses. The Netjeru can give that little quantum push to make a difference, but they're not going to make it rain gold from the sky!

I also agree with Jenett, that you should be looking at getting something to live comfortably. But for many people "A lot of money" would mean enough to eat and pay basic bills.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:07:38 am by Helmsman_of_Inepu »
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

oenothera

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 11:48:34 am »

While I don't have any experience with money spells, I don't have any interest in trying it out largely because money doesn't just fall from the sky. There's always a source, and there are so many possibilities of where it comes from if it does work. Let's say you do one for a specific amount of money and a week later you find a wallet with the exact amount in it. So, you have the money, but are you going to keep it? What if a close relative dies unexpectedly, leaving all his or her assets with you? Would you rather have the money or that person? Or you get a job paying significantly more than you make currently, but wind up hating it worse? There's so many ways it can work but not as intended.

I agree with those who prefer general prosperity spells, because prosperity comes in so many other forms, and I feel like it sort of buffers from unintended consequences better. Prosperity could be as simple as better money managing, or making just enough for a comfortable existence, with bonuses of good health and good friends. Much more subtle than suddenly having a million drop in your lap somehow, but overall more balanced.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 02:42:31 pm »
Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;15495
It's my personal thought that the ones that are advertised and sold are garbage. As you said, if they worked for the seller, they wouldn't need to sell them. If there needs to be some sort of "exchange," it would be better to ask you to help someone in need as your half of the deal.

Eh.  Selling spells seems to be a pretty solid way of manifesting prosperity magic to me, assuming one can pull it off.  It's certainly well-attested historically.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 03:52:18 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;15753
Eh.  Selling spells seems to be a pretty solid way of manifesting prosperity magic to me, assuming one can pull it off.  It's certainly well-attested historically.

*laughing* Good point.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 05:23:57 pm »

Myself, I've done two money bottles, one a while ago, and one recently.  Both were done when my husband's jobs were shaky.  The first, IIRC, was followed by him getting a different job, with more money, and the second was done while his company was trying to be sold and the point was for him to get to keep his job, which is what happened.

I also did a protection bottle when we moved to this house.  THey are all lined up on the kitchen window sill looking decorative.  I also have charms/wards on the windows and doors, little hangy things that I like.  I like physical spells when I do them, which really, I don't do much of.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Amy_lewis_143

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 06:45:32 pm »

I've never really felt the need to make a money spell, even though i could do with a bit of extra money right now since i dont have a real job. I wouldnt want to buy one of these spells, because to me its very impersonal, and i wouldnt know where to start in constructing a spell like this one. If anything, id ask for a job i enjoyed, the law of attraction and what not.

The reason witches arent rich, is because that is not there intent, if you understand what i mean? Most people arent intending on being wealthy, they just want a stress-free fulfilling life.

Zeno

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 05:13:58 pm »

I think they're alright. If we can use magick to change our luck with love and protection, why not prosperity? I have worked prosperity magick before but I usually don't get big bucks from them. The most I've gotten after performing one was about $100 over the course of five days.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 07:01:07 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;15753

Yep.

I just wanted to chime in on the selling spells part.

I've sold spells lots of times. Not without some instruction on how to use them, and I've usually (not always, depending on the situation) taken the time to find out what kind of results the person is looking for. Then, I could tailor the spell and instructions to that specific goal. I'm also realistic about what a spell can and can't do, etc. There have been times when I've refused to create certain spells, too. IOW, I do have ethics.

From my perspective, it's a win for both of us. My customer wins by only having to pay for a bit of my time, and the small amounts of ingredients I've used, instead of investing a lot of money in supplies they might never use again. Normally, they'd end up spending about half of what it would cost to buy all of the supplies and do it themselves. I win by being able to make money doing something I enjoy, something that I'm good at, while helping another person.

Most people I've met who buy a spell, are kind of feeling out the waters anyway. Usually they'll want to learn how to do it themselves after a while. I don't have an issue with doing the heavy lifting for them in the mean time. However, not everyone has the time or inclination to spend months to years studying magical theory, for whatever reason. I see no reason why I shouldn't help them out, if I can.

I also see no reason why I shouldn't be paid. Supplies cost money. My time and energy is worth something to me. If we're talking about total strangers, that I'm not connected to in any way, I'm not getting any warm fuzzies from it. It's work, I should be paid.

Anyhoo, just my two cents

Tags: