Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Neurodiverse people on the board?  (Read 15071 times)

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Re: Neurodiverse people on the board?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 03:16:38 pm »
Quote from: Bast;171061
I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, disassociation disorder, GAD, PTSD, social phobia, and major depressive episodes. Medicated now so as long as I take the pills, I tend not to have too many symptoms. Had some bad experiences with other people going so far as to back away from me when they find out I am schizie (my fave made up word for it) even though I have had it for almost 20 years now. :( Other than my parents and sibling, my family disowned me so yeah...

I tend to be drawn more deeply into the mystical side of things than other people. My mom is convinced that the past ten-ish years of being pagan are just symptoms of my illnesses. My therapist is the one that actually told me to follow my heart and find my true feelings on religion due to my major death phobia. Bast has always been there for me but I haven't always been there for her and I have guilt issues over that but I am working on it. I have tried to force myself into the religion of my parents just to make them happy but has given me some issues there.

I have noticed certain things in my practices help me control my illnesses better. Meditation works wonders for keeping voices out of my head and my disassociating at bay. Love meditation really.

I'vebeen diagnosed with just about everything you have except PTSD, and my schiz is schizoaffective bipolar type instead of full schizophrenia. I can relate to what you're going through.

Have you checked out the Mental Health group on the board?
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Bast

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Polytheist | Eclectic Witch
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 09:44:47 pm »
Quote from: Raine;171132
I've been diagnosed with just about everything you have except PTSD, and my schiz is schizoaffective bipolar type instead of full schizophrenia. I can relate to what you're going through.

Have you checked out the Mental Health group on the board?

Nice to know someone can relate. Do you ever get tired of seeing people refer to stuff as schizo? It annoys me, especially when I am down. Like, 'You are totally acting all schizo.' It just puts in people's minds negative stereotypes. *gets off soapbox*

Nope, I haven't checked out the group but I will give it a look. Thank you for telling me about it!

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 10:41:42 pm »
Quote from: Bast;171164
Nice to know someone can relate. Do you ever get tired of seeing people refer to stuff as schizo? It annoys me, especially when I am down. Like, 'You are totally acting all schizo.' It just puts in people's minds negative stereotypes. *gets off soapbox*

Nope, I haven't checked out the group but I will give it a look. Thank you for telling me about it!

I actually don't hear that, no. I refer to my illness as schiz or schizo for short, but never in a "That's so schizo/schiz" way.

Hope to see you around there!
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 11:42:46 am »
Quote from: Pix;171121

So I began to use self-hypnosis to find my "inner child" and teach her all the skills I gained and in doing so visualized her getting older and more confident.

First off, thanks for sharing all of that and I'm sorry it took me a while to respond back.
I also have tried the technique you described here and have found it to be useful in a sense of overall healing.

In addition to all that I also figured what I could do if similar traumatic events were to happen in the future and prepared for them until I felt I was able to deal with it. I also found a support group useful where we sometimes tossed ideas back and forth on how to get a grip on it when it flares up.

Without getting into too much detail, I have very specific physical triggers that I haven't found a way to effectively deal with through meditation or other mental exercises, so I've considered going to a support group to see how other people with similar trauma handle it. The PTSD has gotten better overall over the years, especially in regard to nightmares or being accidentally triggered by images/texts, it's just the spontaneous physical touching that can cause a relapse-- and unfortunately it's not something that I think can be adequately dealt with by making a "no touching" rule.

And I believe the study that says the more degrees a psychologist has the less effective that therapist is likely to be, I have horror stories of "qualified" ones (even those sincerely trying to help) but found one useful who was little more than a referee at a support group and another one who was still going to school (refusing any money saying she wasn't qualified). Perhaps these less trained or active ones were helpful because they were more guides than guardians, that is they didn't treat me as broken that they had to care for (subtly promoting the idea that I was still powerless and thus vulnerable), just as someone who needed a hand up so I could brush myself off and move on.

I had never heard this theory before but when I thought more about it I found I totally agree. My counselor was extremely instrumental and effective in my treatment as she treated me as a person, while the psychiatrist only seemed to see my brain as something broken that needed to be fixed with medications I was uncomfortable with taking and often uninformed of the potential consequences-- and when said side effects reared their ugly heads, he had no sympathy about how much stress a bad experience with a medication affected my pre-existing issues with stress. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm really glad to hear that you've come a long way and are in a much healthier place these days. It is always a great thing to see another person with trauma finding ways to make it through. I definitely agree that creative pursuits can help process trauma and healing immensely and wish it were more emphasized in modern psychiatry.

Tags: