collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Prayer and Slacktivism  (Read 7741 times)

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Prayer and Slacktivism
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 10:06:22 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;154402
I think it depends on a couple of things...

First, do you believe that deities actually answer prayers -- at least sometimes?  If you don't think they ever do, then saying you will pray for someone is kinda pointless. In which case it might be a way of avoiding actually making an effort to do something.

Second, when you say you will pray for someone, do you actually pray for them -- even just a brief "Please, [deity name] help Mr. Z do X" type of prayer? If you don't, all you are doing is making yourself feel like you did something.

I tend not to pray for people at random. However, if someone asks for prayers, I try to make the effort to actually say a brief prayer for their need. Is this a way of avoiding doing something more useful? Perhaps, but often praying when requested is all I can really do -- especially for people far away.

I think this is pretty close to my own opinion, so I'm +1ing it.

Quote from: Redfaery;154406
Prayer can definitely be slacktivism. In my hometown, the Police Department would organize a prayer meeting with the fancy Baptist churches in town to pray for an end to the War on Drugs. One year, it made the front page, with a big headline trumpeting how compassionate our police department was. I think my dad just about had a stroke from impotent rage. (He's a criminal defense attorney, so he deals with the drug addicts and dealers as human beings who have serious issues and need help, rather than as "bad guys" who need to be "taken off the streets.")
[...]
So, that's prayer as slacktivism.

Holy.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 07:43:43 pm »
Quote from: Scales;154353
"Slacktivism"Of course prayer is largely on a more micro scale (praying for a person, rather than praying for breast cancer awareness to be spread), so 'activism' may be a bit of a misnomer, but is it action or inaction?

To answer this part of the question, I would say that whether prayer is action or inaction depends on how you defend "action" and "inaction." If you mean physical motion, then prayer is usually largely "inaction," at least for me, since I connect best with Sarasvati when I am quiet and still. If you mean "does it get shit done?" Then, well, that too is largely subjective. What do you want to do?

If you want that massive tumor to evaporate overnight, then prayer probably isn't going to do anything. (Disclaimer: I'm still too Catholic at in my heart to not believe in miracles, so...I wouldn't discount the possibility.) If you want a massive pile of cash to materialize in your bank account, that's probably not going to happen either. (But again, I think miracles can happen. Who's to say that you might not find a winning lotto ticket on the sidewalk tomorrow morning?) Still, miracles are miraculous because they are, well, beyond the realm of everyday concerns. I don't think they're part of the natural order at all. They're miraculous.

Um...sorry. Got off track.

I actually don't think of myself as praying that often, because I feel like my relationship with Sarasvati is so terribly personal. I feel like I shouldn't ask Her for stuff or make requests, because it would just be rude. She knows what's best for me, even better than I do. Why should I ask Her for this thing or that thing? If I want it badly enough, She's probably finding a way to get it to me. Either that, or She's got something even better.

As for praying for other people...well, I just feel very uncomfortable doing that usually, because I'm not sure how to go about it. I have such an open head that I feel strange just dropping in a request for anyone to hear. "Hey! So-and-so needs some help!" Really? Who's asking? Who's listening? See, I really only work with the goddess I call Sarasvati (aka Benzaiten-sama, aka Nyoirin Kannon, aka Kinyō-Shō...). As I said before, my relationship with Her is very personal, and I feel like it would be rude to ask Her for things. I feel it would be especially rude to ask Her to do things for people who don't worship Her.

It's not that She won't help my friends, or that I don't want to help others. It's just that I don't feel like I can casually sit down and say "Hey, can you do this favor for my friend who doesn't even know you and worships someone else?"

To be fair, I've definitely felt Her give me "the nudge" on certain things. When Cág posted a prayer request for their finals, She gave me a very definite thwap, and communicated in no uncertain terms that I didn't even have to ask Her to help them. She would be there.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 07:53:02 am »
Quote from: Redfaery;154406
Prayer can definitely be slacktivism. In my hometown, the Police Department would organize a prayer meeting with the fancy Baptist churches in town to pray for an end to the War on Drugs.

I think such prayer events organized by or on behalf of governments are almost always a way of saying one (the government, in this case) is doing something so they looks good because they do not want to actually raise taxes/issue effective regulation/whatever is actually needed to try to actually solve the problem.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Kahina

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 11:43:05 pm »
Quote from: Morag;154356
I really dislike the assertion that sharing things online requires "little effort" on the part of the person sharing it, or helps little. Many of those "slacktivist" things I do take a lot of energy on my part, a lot of mental health spoons, and many, many people have told me that my sharing things and raising awareness on social media has changed their minds about certain topics and made them more aware of what they can do to help.

Changing the mind of one person is a big fracking deal, and I've changed the mind of more than one via my "slacktivism".

Blogging, sharing petitions, raising awareness --- these are no less than going out and physically doing something, or donating money to a cause, and honestly the belief that they are less and we should feel bad for not doing "more" is ableist and classist. (And the belief that doing things that make us feel better about ourselves is somehow less than doing things that are an exercise in masochism is a fairly pernicious one I've seen infiltrating activist and feminist spaces, and is especially toxic to those of us with mental illness. Not to mention, the idea that sharing information about a topic that makes you ill, makes you tired, makes you sad, but you share it anyway because awareness does have to be raised if things are ever going to change -- the idea that that is a "feel-good" measure is downright silly.)

And: the idea that people who do "slacktivism" are not wholly invested in or devoted to a cause is just another way of creating oppressive hierarchies in activist circles.

That breast cancer "game" is actually the opposite of activism: it doesn't raise awareness and it alienates actual breast cancer survivors or people currently fighting it. Oh, and it's sexist, a bit transphobic, part of the pinkwashing BS, and ignores the fact that breast cancer is not a discriminating disease: it affects people of all genders.

Prayer can be just as difficult for people as "slacktivism", if not more; it can take much more energy. It is by definition not inaction, because it is an action one takes.

Prayer is not the same as slacktivism: when I share articles or petitions, I am not appealing to my gods. I am appealing to my fellow humans. And whether or not you believe the divine exists in every living being, in my experience humans do not have as much individual power as a god does. (Collectively? Sure, on certain things. But herding cats, etc.)

When I tell someone I'll pray for them and their horrible situation, whatever it is, I do not feel better. I do not feel better because a friend is still in trouble and all I can do is pray to my gods to watch out for them. Does posting "I'll pray for you" really mean anything? Well one assumes it means that person is going to pray. And speaking as a person who has received prayers, both for myself and on behalf of my mother when she was fighting cancer, it meant a hell of a lot to us.

And finally, "getting things" is not the sole purpose of prayer, so asking if prayer "works" from the standpoint of "I prayed for this thing (someone's health, an end to oppression, w/e), did I get it?" is ridiculous.

Put this on a gold plaque and stick it at the top of the thread because this is the best.

There is no such thing as being a 'slacktivist'. It's because I read so many posts and experiences from other people that I was able to understand and begin my work on unlearning what I've internalized. I've been able to help people as I began to increase in my understanding - sharing things, signing petitions, having conversations - these are all so important to keep raising awareness.

Likewise, I find that if a person says 'I'll pray for you', that makes me feel happy. I don't believe in their God, or their faith - but they took the time out of their day to put me in their spiritual thoughts, and that's an honor. If people can only manage to do what is considered 'small' - so what? That is just as important.

You can't put worth on action.
"be careful, you are not in Wonderland. i\'ve heard the strange madness long growing in your soul, in your isolation."

a.walker.abroad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 09:57:07 am »
Quote from: Morag;154356
I really dislike the assertion that sharing things online requires "little effort" on the part of the person sharing it, or helps little. Many of those "slacktivist" things I do take a lot of energy on my part, a lot of mental health spoons, and many, many people have told me that my sharing things and raising awareness on social media has changed their minds about certain topics and made them more aware of what they can do to help.

I think what the OP is refering to is the more generic "repost this picture/phrase to raise awareness" style campaigns, where the only real effort involved is pressing a button.  Reposting a picture of a pink ribbon isn't really raising awareness.  Honestly though, I personally don't feel like the ribbons do much at all, except flag someone as supporting something.   But, if something takes more than five minutes to start, and/or requires additional similar effort after it's been started, then I don't feel like it would qualify as slacktivism in the first place.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 10:51:22 am »
Quote from: a.walker.abroad;155663
I think what the OP is refering to is the more generic "repost this picture/phrase to raise awareness" style campaigns, where the only real effort involved is pressing a button.

...and calculating how many spoons you have to deal in case someone on your friends list decides to make a big argument out of it; if you decide to share the thing, then expending those spoons explaining why such and such is important yet again.

Anytime someone shares something on social media there is far more effort expended than just pushing a button. Everything you share, people can respond to. You have to be prepared to deal with those responses. For those of us with mental health issues, that can take a LOT of our daily energy. Even for people without mental health issues but with other energy problems, it can sometimes be too much.

(Spoons is a term used in chronic illness circles to refer to units of daily physical energy. Many of us with chronic illness and mental health have applied it to mental health energy as well; some of us, myself included, refer to the "utensil drawer," with forks, spoons, and knives all counting for different types of units of energy.  You can read about the Spoon Theory here.)

Reposting a picture of a pink ribbon isn't really raising awareness.

It might not be. But there are plenty of other reposts that people can do that *do* raise awareness.

Honestly though, I personally don't feel like the ribbons do much at all, except flag someone as supporting something.

When I was a pre-teen, I wore a red AIDs ribbon on my shirt. I was travelling alone, again, probably for access summer, and one of the flight attendants noticed my ribbon. They said, "I'm so happy to see you wearing that; especially as you're a young person. It gives me hope."

It reignited my fire to continue to be an activist, to continue to care -- it was the first time someone had noticed the ribbon and said anything positive about it. (My biological sire had made disparaging remarks, as he's a queerphobe and associates AIDs with gay people.)

Maybe my wearing the ribbon did nothing for anyone else in terms of awareness, but it did a lot for me -- it told me that other people cared, even if just one person, and that reignited the spark of hope within me. Self-care is important too.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

a.walker.abroad

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 04:31:48 pm »
Quote from: Morag;155666
...and calculating how many spoons you have to deal in case someone on your friends list decides to make a big argument out of it; if you decide to share the thing, then expending those spoons explaining why such and such is important yet again.

Anytime someone shares something on social media there is far more effort expended than just pushing a button. Everything you share, people can respond to. You have to be prepared to deal with those responses. For those of us with mental health issues, that can take a LOT of our daily energy. Even for people without mental health issues but with other energy problems, it can sometimes be too much.

(Spoons is a term used in chronic illness circles to refer to units of daily physical energy. Many of us with chronic illness and mental health have applied it to mental health energy as well; some of us, myself included, refer to the "utensil drawer," with forks, spoons, and knives all counting for different types of units of energy.  You can read about the Spoon Theory here.)

It might not be. But there are plenty of other reposts that people can do that *do* raise awareness.

When I was a pre-teen, I wore a red AIDs ribbon on my shirt. I was travelling alone, again, probably for access summer, and one of the flight attendants noticed my ribbon. They said, "I'm so happy to see you wearing that; especially as you're a young person. It gives me hope."

It reignited my fire to continue to be an activist, to continue to care -- it was the first time someone had noticed the ribbon and said anything positive about it. (My biological sire had made disparaging remarks, as he's a queerphobe and associates AIDs with gay people.)

Maybe my wearing the ribbon did nothing for anyone else in terms of awareness, but it did a lot for me -- it told me that other people cared, even if just one person, and that reignited the spark of hope within me. Self-care is important too.

Thank you for the information on spoons, by the way.  I'd heard the term before, but didn't know what it meant.

But again, there are of course forms of internet activism that do require effort, sometimes tremendous effort due to the nature of the internt, and that do make a difference.  I'm not contending that.  I', merely pointing out that the term slacktivism is not refering to that.  It's refering to the forms that do not require more effort.  When a post just gets passed around, and everybody reposts because everybody else is, sure there may be some benefit to it, but many people aren't putting in effort.  I know a lot of people who don't even read these things.  They just hit repost so they don't look like @ssholes to their friends and family.  I think it really boils down to the intend as what qualifies as slacktivism and what does not.

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 04:55:55 pm »
Quote from: a.walker.abroad;155694

But again, there are of course forms of internet activism that do require effort, sometimes tremendous effort due to the nature of the internt, and that do make a difference.  I'm not contending that.  I', merely pointing out that the term slacktivism is not refering to that.  It's refering to the forms that do not require more effort.  When a post just gets passed around, and everybody reposts because everybody else is, sure there may be some benefit to it, but many people aren't putting in effort.  I know a lot of people who don't even read these things.  They just hit repost so they don't look like @ssholes to their friends and family.  I think it really boils down to the intend as what qualifies as slacktivism and what does not.

I have to agree here. I don't think anyone is referring to the sharing of actual information or the raising of awareness about controversial issues that will likely get pushback. I can't count how many times I've had things like "Raise awareness of bullying. Share this post. I bet 90% of you won't, but I know that the 10% of you who really care will do it." WTF??? And yes, they all include that passive-aggressive wording of "I bet you won't do this because you're an awful person. Prove you're not by providing traffic for my page."

I think what we may be getting down to here is a disagreement about whether "slacktivism" exists at all. I see the term "slacktivism" as somewhat misleading. It's not about laziness or "slacking." It's about ego-building and selfishness. And the people who do it don't confine themselves to the internet by any means.

Perhaps the second crucial point here is that this kind of faux-activism that uses prayer is by no means confined to the internet. I gave the example of the prayer meetings in my home town, where the Police Department partners with the Baptist Churches to pray for the drug users and drug dealers, rather than actually opening up rehabilitation facilities and treatment centers. That's slacktivism, pure and simple. They do it to look good, and because it's a much easier and more popular fix in my town than spending the money on expensive medical facilities for "bad guys." So they go for the cheap, cosmetic patch over the gaping wound.

What it boils down to is this: phony activism exists. It exists on the internet. It exists in real life. You can call it a scam, or you can call it slacktivism, but not everyone who claims to be working for the greater good is actually doing what they say.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 05:21:43 pm »
Thank you for the information on spoons, by the way.  I'd heard the term before, but didn't know what it meant.

You're welcome.

I', merely pointing out that the term slacktivism is not refering to that.  It's refering to the forms that do not require more effort.  When a post just gets passed around, and everybody reposts because everybody else is, sure there may be some benefit to it, but many people aren't putting in effort.  I know a lot of people who don't even read these things.  They just hit repost so they don't look like @ssholes to their friends and family.  I think it really boils down to the intend as what qualifies as slacktivism and what does not.

Ok, so, you may not mean slacktivism to refer to those things? And the OP might not? But lots of people do, which is why slacktivism as a term tends to take on a very negative connotation for lots of activists. Getting told constantly that by blogging or sharing things or raising awareness that I'm not a "real" activist or making any "real changes" because I'm not willing or able to go out and suffer police brutality at protests starts to rub one raw, after a while, and the term becomes a hair-trigger.

Yes, there are some actions that probably don't help that much, if at all -- we've all seen the posts on Facebook. But. They are, for the most part, a step. A baby step for those people. If the action is mostly benign -- ie, not doing more harm than good -- even if ineffective, I don't see how it's my place to judge it as "slacktivism". Maybe it took a hell of a lot of courage for that person to finally come out as standing up on the side of justice. Maybe all their family members will take issue with their sharing things about that stuff. Maybe that is literally all they can afford to do, emotionally/mentally/spiritually/etc, right now. I don't know.

Now, if something is doing more harm than good (like that stupid breast cancer awareness "game" that raises no awareness whatsoever and only serves to hurt people), then I will speak out against it, and let people know why/how it's a problem. But that's a different thing, and not what I see being referenced when people talk about "slacktivism", in my experience. Your mileage may vary.

The problem comes in using the term slacktivism to refer to these things that aren't really activism -- slacktivism is already used as a verbal weapon against people doing actual activism, as a way of gatekeeping and creating hierarchies in activist circles. Using it for people who are doing these more-harm-than-good type reshares muddies things, because that's not how the term has been used nor does it address the negative connotations associated with it.

I really think if we're going to talk about problematic reposts and shares, we need a different word.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 05:23:50 pm »
Quote from: Morag;155698
I really think if we're going to talk about problematic reposts and shares, we need a different word.

Quote from: Redfaery;155696
faux-activism

Like that word, f'ex. That word is a pretty good one.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
-Darkhawk

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 05:27:50 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;155696
I think what we may be getting down to here is a disagreement about whether "slacktivism" exists at all. I see the term "slacktivism" as somewhat misleading. It's not about laziness or "slacking." It's about ego-building and selfishness. And the people who do it don't confine themselves to the internet by any means.

The thing is that the word slacktivism was coined to be disparaging toward internet-based activism, especially signing petitions and retweeting on Twitter, things like that. So when you talk about slacktivism, you're explicitly talking about things that you think don't matter. It's also one of many subtle digs at "kids today and their newfangled tweety birds" and how the activism we do isn't real activism because... we're not wearing tie-dye or something? I mean, I saw people calling Occupy slacktivism because 'why don't they have real jobs.'

If it's stupid guilt-tripping, call it what it is. If it's an ego-game, or an intimidation tactic, call it that too.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 08:49:15 pm »
I think it really boils down to the intent as what qualifies as slacktivism and what does not.

Aaaaand we're back to this: How do you really know someone is posting only to 'avoid looking like an asshole?'  

The problem with trying to judge others' motives is you wind up viewing them through your own skewed lenses-- your 'judgment' of them will say more about your own thoughts and motives than theirs.  Also, projection is a thing (which makes me wonder about charges of 'ego-building' and 'selfishness' in particular.)  

Seems like the argument is that internet 'activism' is only "real" if meets some gauge of ideological purity, some plumb depth of conviction; but it may be unrealistic and even unfair to expect someone else to work within your own very-movable goalposts.  

Also, activism must all be blood, sweat, and tears?  Why?  
Hell, Rosa Parks fought the bullshit by taking a seat.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:54:58 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 09:03:34 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;155718
Aaaaand we're back to this: How do you really know someone is posting only to 'avoid looking like an asshole?'  

I think the problem is with tying intent to activism. One of these things is internal. One of them is not. Intent, as we commonly say around TC, is not magic. Take Ferguson, for example. Social media was key in getting the word out about police brutality in the town when more mainstream journalism had been suppressed by the local police department. The entire world is watching Ferguson right now (literally! with users from Gaza and elsewhere offering advice for protesters hit with tear gas!) because of the viral nature of sharing information through Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.

Not everyone who shares information needs good intention. In fact, I would far rather someone post about Ferguson because they feel a social pressure not to look like a jerk than I would them make no post out of apathy. Whatever the intention of a poster, the outcome in this case is the same: the dissemination of information that led to a national (and international) outrage and demand for accountability.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 09:09:57 pm »
Quote from: Sage;155722
I would far rather someone post about Ferguson because they feel a social pressure not to look like a jerk than I would them make no post out of apathy. Whatever the intention of a poster, the outcome in this case is the same: the dissemination of information that led to a national (and international) outrage and demand for accountability.

Good point, and well said.  

Also, Ferguson is a great example of 'effortless' faux-activism having real impact.  Just by people clicking buttons and sharing info.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 09:21:36 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;155724
Good point, and well said.  

Also, Ferguson is a great example of 'effortless' faux-activism having real impact.  Just by people clicking buttons and sharing info.

God knows it's all I've been doing for a day and a half. I also posted on Facebook that I'd be praying for Ferguson's community and asked folks to join in if they wanted. I'm doing everything that I can and it sure isn't a lot, but it is the literal extent of my abilities half a country away.

When a fairly well known YA author (Ally Condie) asked what she could do, I was able to tweet her a link to a list of journalists reporting from inside Ferguson and she immediately retweeted. Condie's got tons more followers than me and they all got my encouragement to share information, too. All because I was ready with that information and had followed Condie's Twitter after meeting her at a library conference earlier this summer.

Side note, but I really think social media is absolutely revolutionizing how news is created and disseminated. Militarized police tear gas journalists (and illegally detain them for "trespassing" in a McDonald's, and institute a no-fly zone over Ferguson to keep out news choppers...) and bystanders whip out their cell phones and begin recording. There's power in individuals' hands that was never there before.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Tags: