collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Prayer and Slacktivism  (Read 7739 times)

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Prayer and Slacktivism
« on: July 30, 2014, 01:17:51 pm »
"Slacktivism" is a colloquial term for when someone does something for a cause that doesn't really involve any effort or do any help- notably, the facebook "raise awareness for breast cancer! post your bra colour as your status! Girls only, keep this a secret from the men!" (which has other problems than being useless, such as that it seems more like a woman vs men "game"/joke than even attempted awareness raising, but I digress). Since it's a term that originated on the internet, there may be some other definitions, but this is the one I'm working with.

With that, my question is: Is prayer slacktivism?
And as an aside: Does posting "I'll pray for you," (or similar) really mean anything, or does it just make the poster feel better because they 'did something'?

Of course prayer is largely on a more micro scale (praying for a person, rather than praying for breast cancer awareness to be spread), so 'activism' may be a bit of a misnomer, but is it action or inaction?

---------

My personal opinion is 'it depends.' Like most people's philosophy with magic (particularly healing spells) here, I think prayer plus mundane action is the best route. On the other hand, if prayer is the most action one can take, I put higher weight to its value, especially compared to if one is able to, say, donate to a cause (without financial strain), but instead prays just to save money. I think in the latter case, it is less useful than prayer as an only resource because if your actions contradict your prayers, I can't see them being as effective, especially for people who work heavily with intent.

On the aside, again think it depends- is the poster someone who would actually be comforted by that (on the 'Prayer/Energy Requests' board I'd say it's much more helpful than on someone's facebook)? Does the one replying get gratification from feeling as though they've done something? Do they actually pray, or just say it to comfort the person?

If they act on it, do it for the other person, and aren't doing it for gratification (though feeling some is fine, I think), I'd say it's good. If It's the opposite, I think it's rather rude to even say. In the middle, I can't really say without reading minds.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Prayer and Slacktivism
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 02:01:49 pm »
Quote from: Scales;154353
"Slacktivism" is a colloquial term for when someone does something for a cause that doesn't really involve any effort or do any help- notably, the facebook "raise awareness for breast cancer! post your bra colour as your status! Girls only, keep this a secret from the men!" (which has other problems than being useless, such as that it seems more like a woman vs men "game"/joke than even attempted awareness raising, but I digress). Since it's a term that originated on the internet, there may be some other definitions, but this is the one I'm working with.

And as an aside: Does posting "I'll pray for you," (or similar) really mean anything, or does it just make the poster feel better because they 'did something'?

Of course prayer is largely on a more micro scale (praying for a person, rather than praying for breast cancer awareness to be spread), so 'activism' may be a bit of a misnomer, but is it action or inaction?

I really dislike the assertion that sharing things online requires "little effort" on the part of the person sharing it, or helps little. Many of those "slacktivist" things I do take a lot of energy on my part, a lot of mental health spoons, and many, many people have told me that my sharing things and raising awareness on social media has changed their minds about certain topics and made them more aware of what they can do to help.

Changing the mind of one person is a big fracking deal, and I've changed the mind of more than one via my "slacktivism".

Blogging, sharing petitions, raising awareness --- these are no less than going out and physically doing something, or donating money to a cause, and honestly the belief that they are less and we should feel bad for not doing "more" is ableist and classist. (And the belief that doing things that make us feel better about ourselves is somehow less than doing things that are an exercise in masochism is a fairly pernicious one I've seen infiltrating activist and feminist spaces, and is especially toxic to those of us with mental illness. Not to mention, the idea that sharing information about a topic that makes you ill, makes you tired, makes you sad, but you share it anyway because awareness does have to be raised if things are ever going to change -- the idea that that is a "feel-good" measure is downright silly.)

And: the idea that people who do "slacktivism" are not wholly invested in or devoted to a cause is just another way of creating oppressive hierarchies in activist circles.

That breast cancer "game" is actually the opposite of activism: it doesn't raise awareness and it alienates actual breast cancer survivors or people currently fighting it. Oh, and it's sexist, a bit transphobic, part of the pinkwashing BS, and ignores the fact that breast cancer is not a discriminating disease: it affects people of all genders.

Prayer can be just as difficult for people as "slacktivism", if not more; it can take much more energy. It is by definition not inaction, because it is an action one takes.

Prayer is not the same as slacktivism: when I share articles or petitions, I am not appealing to my gods. I am appealing to my fellow humans. And whether or not you believe the divine exists in every living being, in my experience humans do not have as much individual power as a god does. (Collectively? Sure, on certain things. But herding cats, etc.)

When I tell someone I'll pray for them and their horrible situation, whatever it is, I do not feel better. I do not feel better because a friend is still in trouble and all I can do is pray to my gods to watch out for them. Does posting "I'll pray for you" really mean anything? Well one assumes it means that person is going to pray. And speaking as a person who has received prayers, both for myself and on behalf of my mother when she was fighting cancer, it meant a hell of a lot to us.

And finally, "getting things" is not the sole purpose of prayer, so asking if prayer "works" from the standpoint of "I prayed for this thing (someone's health, an end to oppression, w/e), did I get it?" is ridiculous.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 04:19:52 pm »
"Slacktivism" is a colloquial term for when someone does something for a cause that doesn't really involve any effort or do any help

I think raising awareness is a very important step toward change.

Who decides how much effort is enough, and how much that effort helps a cause? For example, marriage equality* is very important to me, and fighting for it is something I take very seriously. It's also something my "boss" expects me to do. But even if She didn't, I'd still fight because it's the right thing to do.

Do I go to marches and demonstrations? No, not anymore. My life, responsibilities, family obligations and health issues generally prevent that. Do I donate money? Sometimes, but not recently. My financial situation is pretty crappy right now. So, what do I do? I sign petitions, write letters and vote.

I also talk. I talk about my life experiences, my family, and my friends. The things I've done and seen, etc. That might not seem like much, but it puts me in the line of fire. It forces me to face insults, accusations, and criticisms. Often, it means being mocked, or called a liar. Sometimes, it means dealing with harassment and threats.

Where's the effort? I expend valuable emotional and, yes, physical energy. But I do it because I might change someone's mind. I do it to try and make people aware of the fact that these issues aren't hypothetical. Real people who have real lives and real families are being harmed in very real ways.  

It means something to me, yes. Whether I'm saying it or hearing it, it means a lot.

Do they actually pray, or just say it to comfort the person?

If I say I'm going to do it, then I do it.

For lots of people prayer is an active thing that requires effort. Another example, if I pray to Juno, I have to do it in a certain way. There are things She expects me to do, and offerings She expects me to make on behalf of the person I'm praying for. Candles, incense, food stuffs all get used and those things need to be replaced from time to time.

Sending energy, too. It has to come from somewhere. It has to be generated and/or  harnessed in some way. It has to be sent out to the person it's intended for. Different people have different techniques, but they do require effort.

So again I'll ask, who decides? Who sets the standard for what's enough effort or how much it helps?

* There are more issues of equal importance to me, but I'll just stick to this one example.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:10:57 pm »
If they act on it, do it for the other person, and aren't doing it for gratification (though feeling some is fine, I think), I'd say it's good. If It's the opposite, I think it's rather rude to even say. In the middle, I can't really say without reading minds.

I'm going to zoom in on a couple of things:

if prayer is the most action one can take, I put higher weight to its value, especially compared to if one is able to, say, donate to a cause...

First: when it comes to taking action as you put it, prayer v. donation is really an either-or fallacy.  
Second: when it comes to placing higher value on a prayer, judging its merit by its motive, whose prayers are we judging?  If the answer is 'judging the merits of prayers other than my own', well, that's presumptive.  Politely put.  
I really don't like the idea of my prayers being 'given' merit on the basis of someone's uninformed opinion, any more than I like my motives being stretched on the horns of a false dilemma.  I figure most people are similar, so I give them due courtesy.
Also: I've never known anyone who prays "just to save money."  Me, I cut coupons.

Does the one replying get gratification from feeling as though they've done something? Do they actually pray, or just say it to comfort the person?

I wonder when it became bad to feel good for doing good.  If doing good things made me feel like a shitty person, I'd likely be less inclined to do them.  
Likewise, when did it become bad to offer words of comfort?  Even if said 'just to'?

Lots of assumption and presumption here.  Why is that?  

Personally, when I pray for someone, it's usually for some blessing or benefit that I cannot grant with my own means, physically.  (Like when a forum member posts about a leg injury, and I-- not being a doctor and not being within vicinity to physically help this person-- ask for a little divine assistance be sent that person's way.)  It's not because I'm broke or don't really care.

Also, speaking personally, I try to avoid making value/merit judgments of others' devotional actions.  Especially when I'm not privy to all information and I don't have insight into the praying person's headspace.  

I'd say when it comes to evaluating someone's prayers, you summed it up quite nicely when you said: "I think it's rather rude to even say."  And also: "I really can't say without reading minds."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:13:01 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 05:38:48 pm »

Only if you don't believe that there are gods who hear our prayers.

But also- the term "slacktivism" assumes that the "slacktivist" does not also engage in other forms of activism. But that's a false assumption. The same person could easily do both at different times and in different life circumstances.

Because of that, the word strikes me as a cynical put-down more than a serious criticism.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 05:46:29 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;154363
I think raising awareness is a very important step toward change.

Quote from: Morag;154356

That breast cancer "game" is actually the opposite of activism: it doesn't raise awareness and it alienates actual breast cancer survivors or people currently fighting it. Oh, and it's sexist, a bit transphobic, part of the pinkwashing BS, and ignores the fact that breast cancer is not a discriminating disease: it affects people of all genders.

I was unclear- by slacktivism, I was referring to things that don't really do anything, even actually raise awareness- that's why I used the  bra colour example. Raising awareness can indeed be really important, and not everyone can do the same amount of action, donating, or prayer as other people. Those were not the kind of inaction I intended to refer to.

On the actual opinions, I'm mostly just reading them, as I'm not 100% on my opinion, including what I already posted, so I won't reply yet, if I do.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 05:50:04 pm »
Quote from: Scales;154369

And of course, I'm unable to judge actual prayers in the ways I mentioned since I can't read minds. But if I could see every influence, that would, I think, be how it went down.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 06:15:58 pm »
Quote from: Scales;154370

Actually, I realized I had more context I could add.

I grew up in a non-practicing vaguely Christian household, and to me as a child, prayer was basically saying, 'God, can I have
  • ?' or 'can [y] happen.' So people saying they'd pray for someone seemed nice, but not like they were really doing anything for anyone.

Then I was pagan for a while, then I stopped practicing, then I became an agnostic that leaned atheistic and seeing 'I'll pray for you' made me roll my eyes and feel as though they were really saying either 'look at me! I'm totes helping!' when they weren't, or even 'look, I have the time/space/health to believe in prayer and do it at you! fuck you, kid!'

And now I'm sort of religious again, and I do believe in prayer and other things, but on the other hand I see 'I'll pray for you!' in cases where I feel skeptical of the pray-er or their intentions.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 06:27:41 pm »
Quote from: Scales;154372
I grew up in a non-practicing vaguely Christian household, and to me as a child, prayer was basically saying, 'God, can I have
  • ?' or 'can [y] happen.'
The operant words: 'to me as a child.'  As a child you had a naturally childlike understanding of what prayer means, and you've carried that misapprehension into adulthood.  Makes sense.  Many adults still treat God like a vending machine.

And, as before, the skepticism about others' motives has more to do with your own perceptions than their sincerity.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:30:54 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 06:44:19 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;154373
The operant words: 'to me as a child.'  As a child you had a naturally childlike understanding of what prayer means, and you've carried that misapprehension into adulthood.  Makes sense.  Many adults still treat God like a vending machine.

And, as before, the skepticism about others' motives has more to do with your own perceptions than their sincerity.

I'm not claiming otherwise (can't really), but I wanted to explain where the question comes from.

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 10:40:35 am »
Quote from: Scales;154372

And now I'm sort of religious again, and I do believe in prayer and other things, but on the other hand I see 'I'll pray for you!' in cases where I feel skeptical of the pray-er or their intentions.

Like you said, you can't know what's in someone's head. So I guess you've got a few options. If someone is offering to pray for you and you don't want their prayers, you can always say, "thanks, but no thanks". In which case, I would recommend not asking for prayers or energy in the first place. Because, you don't really get to decide who responds and who doesn't.

If someone is praying "at you" or sending unwanted energy your way, you can tell then to stop, shield against it, or send it back.

Or, you can take it at face value and not question their motives. Maybe they really are trying to help you. Especially if you've asked for help.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 01:01:50 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;154393

For the most part, I just figure they mean it in a nice way even if it was when I thought they were incredibly misinformed. Altough I'm not 100%, I'm not too confused on my beliefs or what action I should take, just looking for other opinions/thoughts on the subject as a whole.

Although I just said it's not related to me, I did misspeak in my last reply. I do not think currently that prayer is going to the god vending machine, what I can't deny is that some of that logic remains when I look at other people, for some reason. Since I was vaguely Christian, it especially applies to seeing Christian people, since I made that association and while I don't consciously believe it it's still where my mind usually clicks to 'you mean halfheartedly ask god for shit' before I actually think about it.

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 01:18:25 pm »

To me: Prayer isn't a method of receiving material goods or favors. Prayer is an activity that makes an individual most receptive to and mindful of the will of the gods and one's place in the universe. Ideally, prayer should facilitate a personal change that causes one to be more wise, strong, and compassionate, which would then translate into them taking more concrete actions to help others when possible, like donations or activism. When one is unable to take those actions, prayer is still useful in making them more mindful. Perhaps they'll be more likely to notice other actions they may not have thought of.

Prayer can also cultivate a sense of empathy for others and help people with the grieving process. When you let someone know that you're praying for them it lets them know that someone appreciates them and cares about their existence. And when I pray for others and things don't go the way we would have wished, then the prayer helps me to cultivate a sense of acceptance. There's no point in being upset when your will is contrary to the will of the universe.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 07:32:09 pm »

I think it depends on a couple of things...

First, do you believe that deities actually answer prayers -- at least sometimes?  If you don't think they ever do, then saying you will pray for someone is kinda pointless. In which case it might be a way of avoiding actually making an effort to do something.

Second, when you say you will pray for someone, do you actually pray for them -- even just a brief "Please, [deity name] help Mr. Z do X" type of prayer? If you don't, all you are doing is making yourself feel like you did something.

I tend not to pray for people at random. However, if someone asks for prayers, I try to make the effort to actually say a brief prayer for their need. Is this a way of avoiding doing something more useful? Perhaps, but often praying when requested is all I can really do -- especially for people far away.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 09:36:35 pm »

---------

My personal opinion is 'it depends.' Like most people's philosophy with magic (particularly healing spells) here, I think prayer plus mundane action is the best route. On the other hand, if prayer is the most action one can take, I put higher weight to its value, especially compared to if one is able to, say, donate to a cause (without financial strain), but instead prays just to save money. I think in the latter case, it is less useful than prayer as an only resource because if your actions contradict your prayers, I can't see them being as effective, especially for people who work heavily with intent.

On the aside, again think it depends- is the poster someone who would actually be comforted by that (on the 'Prayer/Energy Requests' board I'd say it's much more helpful than on someone's facebook)? Does the one replying get gratification from feeling as though they've done something? Do they actually pray, or just say it to comfort the person?

Prayer can definitely be slacktivism. In my hometown, the Police Department would organize a prayer meeting with the fancy Baptist churches in town to pray for an end to the War on Drugs. One year, it made the front page, with a big headline trumpeting how compassionate our police department was. I think my dad just about had a stroke from impotent rage. (He's a criminal defense attorney, so he deals with the drug addicts and dealers as human beings who have serious issues and need help, rather than as "bad guys" who need to be "taken off the streets.")

I remember him just absolutely fuming about it. He wondered aloud how, if the police department were so compassionate, why they didn't try expanding addiction treatment and rehabilitation facilities in our area? As it is, ours have to turn people away. They simply don't have enough room for everyone who wants help.

I had a classmate at Randolph Community College whose mother was addicted to heroin. She was desperate to shake the addiction, but couldn't get into rehab. It was full. Her own daughter (my classmate) had to nurse her through the withdrawal. All because the PD in my town is more concerned with cheap, cosmetic patches for their image rather than substantive remedies that would actually take effort (and money) to enact.

So, that's prayer as slacktivism.
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Tags: