collapse

Author Topic: Humor/Quiz: Terminology That Ticks You Off  (Read 7005 times)

Chabas

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Terminology That Ticks You Off
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 10:34:43 am »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;154333
That actually makes a lot of sense to me. Piggybacking off of this one, I cringe at the word "Preggo" Preggo is a spaghetti sauce.

Well, on that note, there's always "We're pregnant". No, *we* are not pregnant. The pregnancy is limited to my body. We're expecting a baby, we're going to be parents, you name it, but *I* am pregnant. If you want to dispute that, I suggest that you likewise stop drinking alcohol, start throwing up your breakfast for no reason, and grow a belly the size of a large water melon, nevermind the whole giving birth thing. You are no more pregnant than I am black for being married to a black person.

--Chabas

Lysana

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 02:40:53 pm »
Quote from: Chabas;154343
Well, on that note, there's always "We're pregnant". No, *we* are not pregnant. The pregnancy is limited to my body. We're expecting a baby, we're going to be parents, you name it, but *I* am pregnant. If you want to dispute that, I suggest that you likewise stop drinking alcohol, start throwing up your breakfast for no reason, and grow a belly the size of a large water melon, nevermind the whole giving birth thing. You are no more pregnant than I am black for being married to a black person.

--Chabas

"Muggle" for non-pagans gets me. Not all pagans practice a path that involves magic, so we're muggles by the definition of the term yet we're still pagans. Really, try harder. This ain't Harry freakin' Potter.

Tom

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://serpentinetom.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 03:15:50 pm »
Quote from: Lysana;154357
"Muggle" for non-pagans gets me. Not all pagans practice a path that involves magic, so we're muggles by the definition of the term yet we're still pagans. Really, try harder. This ain't Harry freakin' Potter.
I also despise the use of this term in pagan spaces, but even when it's used by magic practitioners to describe people who don't do magic, I hate it. Mostly because in the context of the books, it is used in a rather negative sense by the villains and creates a false divide since I believe everyone is capable of magic in some form.

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 04:18:52 pm »
Quote from: Lysana;154357

Pagans have started using "muggle" in real life? How lame. Use of a term outside of the specific pop culture world that spawned it--unless that usage is extremely clever--screams poor socialization skills.

This one flunks the cleverness test.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

hecate8

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 04:55:27 pm »
Quote from: Altair;154300
leverage
"We should leverage Beyonce's endorsement for maximum sales."
In the business realm, nothing sets my teeth on edge quite like this one.

mansplain
"It is a story of space flight, whose protagonist is not only a girl but a black girl ā€” and not a girl who is being mansplained about the way of the world, but a girl who does the explaining herself."
I don't even know what that's supposed to mean, but the snark of it made my eyes glaze over. From the context, what it said most clearly to me is that the writer has a chip on their shoulder large enough that, when smothered in salsa, it could feed millions.

So what words make you want to go postal?

"The one true God"
"Libary"
"Scubar" (instead of scuba)
Free or drug free? America can\'t be both!

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 05:18:48 pm »
Quote from: hecate8;154364
"Libary"

This reminds me of a joke I heard years ago.  

Person A: Where's the libary* at?
Person B: It's improper to end a sentence with a preposition.
Person C: Where's the libary at.... asshole?

*note: the joke requires the pronunciation 'lie'-berry' for maximum effect.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:19:34 pm by MadZealot »
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 05:31:32 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;154366

This reminds me of a joke I heard years ago.  

Person A: Where's the libary* at?
Person B: It's improper to end a sentence with a preposition.
Person C: Where's the libary at.... asshole?

*note: the joke requires the pronunciation 'lie'-berry' for maximum effect.

Ah. Thought of one of my own.

"Fer" instead of "for". I never really noticed it until I met my husband and he pointed it out to me. He grew up in Germany so it really stuck out for him.  It doesn't bother me too much, but it is something that I notice now, and it happens a *lot*,  and I can't help cringing at it a bit.

Reminds me of Eliza Doolittle. "The rain in spain..."
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (Iā€™m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 07:06:00 pm »
Quote from: hecate8;154364

"Libary"

That's a perfectly acceptable pronounciaton where I'm from
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 02:55:08 am »
Quote from: Jake_;154377

And here. This may be a dialect thing.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Redfaery

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 04:03:14 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;154385
And here. This may be a dialect thing.

Some Southerners say it that way too, but it's not common, and I've always seen it as a real Southernism. The same people say simiular instead of similar, and ruff instead of roof. Not many people talk like that these days!
KARMA: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 11:45:20 pm »
Quote from: Redfaery;154480
Some Southerners say it that way too, but it's not common, and I've always seen it as a real Southernism. The same people say simiular instead of similar, and ruff instead of roof. Not many people talk like that these days!

Wisconsin has a lot of that. There's 2 ways to say "roof" and "creek". It's either said "ruff" or "rewf" and "creek" or "crick"

We have more than just those 2 but that's the common one
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 11:46:01 pm by BrighidsAura »

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 12:42:51 pm »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;154512
Wisconsin has a lot of that. There's 2 ways to say "roof" and "creek". It's either said "ruff" or "rewf" and "creek" or "crick"

We have more than just those 2 but that's the common one

I've only ever heard a Wisconsin accent in media, but man does it make me smile.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 10:20:16 pm »
Quote from: Altair;154300
leverage
"We should leverage Beyonce's endorsement for maximum sales."
In the business realm, nothing sets my teeth on edge quite like this one.

mansplain
"It is a story of space flight, whose protagonist is not only a girl but a black girl ā€” and not a girl who is being mansplained about the way of the world, but a girl who does the explaining herself."
I don't even know what that's supposed to mean, but the snark of it made my eyes glaze over. From the context, what it said most clearly to me is that the writer has a chip on their shoulder large enough that, when smothered in salsa, it could feed millions.

So what words make you want to go postal?

I actually find "mansplain" really useful, when it's used correctly.  It's about this specific thing: http://www.tomdispatch.com/blog/175584/rebecca_solnit_the_archipelago_of_ignorance

(This is a link to an essay by Rebecca Solnit, called "Men Explain Things to Me," preceded by some commentary about that essay following its having gone viral and spawned the verb "to mansplain."  It's the origin point of the term, specifically describing the phenomenon of men assuming expertise on subjects on which they are not experts, and condescending to women who know more than they do, based on the assumption of women's ignorance/incompetence/lack of intellectual acumen as compared to men.  The essay centers around an anecdote of a man at a party patronizingly explaining Solnit's own recently-published book to her without even being willing to listen enough to realize that it is the author of the book to whom he is speaking, because she is a lady at a party and clearly knows nothing about the subject.)
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 10:32:10 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;154565
I've only ever heard a Wisconsin accent in media, but man does it make me smile.

Mine is disgustingly thick. I laugh every time I hear myself on recording.

Rodney_Dawn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2022, 08:23:46 am »

Same here,  and the same can be said of 'fer' and pronouncing I as "Ah".  I'm guilty of it myself, though being a man of higher education, (((Ph.D and DVM))) I've worked hard retraining myself to remember to speak 'proper' grammar as much as possible. 

Tags: