Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Humor/Quiz: Terminology That Ticks You Off  (Read 6634 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Terminology That Ticks You Off
« on: July 29, 2014, 03:57:17 pm »
leverage
"We should leverage Beyonce's endorsement for maximum sales."
In the business realm, nothing sets my teeth on edge quite like this one.

mansplain
"It is a story of space flight, whose protagonist is not only a girl but a black girl ā€” and not a girl who is being mansplained about the way of the world, but a girl who does the explaining herself."
I don't even know what that's supposed to mean, but the snark of it made my eyes glaze over. From the context, what it said most clearly to me is that the writer has a chip on their shoulder large enough that, when smothered in salsa, it could feed millions.

So what words make you want to go postal?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:12:39 am by RandallS »
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Terminology That Ticks You Off
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:54:04 pm »
Quote from: Altair;154300
leverage

mansplain
"It is a story of space flight, whose protagonist is not only a girl but a black girl ā€” and not a girl who is being mansplained about the way of the world, but a girl who does the explaining herself."
I don't even know what that's supposed to mean, but the snark of it made my eyes glaze over. From the context, what it said most clearly to me is that the writer has a chip on their shoulder large enough that, when smothered in salsa, it could feed millions.

During a discussion about the Ryan Gosling "Hey Girl" meme someone posted an article about The Notebook and the author just totally slayed the husband (whatever his name was in the movie) for pretty much everything.

Not that I'm a huge fan of the movie, but the chip on her shoulder wasn't my flavor either. I mean, men aren't perfect. Expecting to find  a man who is going to be a perfect feminist is no different then any other knight and shining armor fantasy. Men (and women) are flawed. Isn't loving someone through their flaws, unconditionally, while also inspiring them to be better, sort of the miracle of love?

I mean, some stuff she criticized was just unfair. Like how he "forced" his alzheimers wife to listen to the notebook and was just another man with who violated a woman's boundaries because obviously he knew what was better for her. Come on.

I'll have to think of my pet peeves instead of piggy-backing off yours.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (Iā€™m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 06:04:12 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;154305
During a discussion about the Ryan Gosling "Hey Girl" meme someone posted an article about The Notebook and the author just totally slayed the husband (whatever his name was in the movie) for pretty much everything.

Not that I'm a huge fan of the movie, but the chip on her shoulder wasn't my flavor either. I mean, men aren't perfect. Expecting to find  a man who is going to be a perfect feminist is no different then any other knight and shining armor fantasy. Men (and women) are flawed. Isn't loving someone through their flaws, unconditionally, while also inspiring them to be better, sort of the miracle of love?

I mean, some stuff she criticized was just unfair. Like how he "forced" his alzheimers wife to listen to the notebook and was just another man with who violated a woman's boundaries because obviously he knew what was better for her. Come on.

I'll have to think of my pet peeves instead of piggy-backing off yours.

I have about .5 seconds that I can deal with people like that before I want to tear my face off.

Hyper-sensitivity and people that are offended by EVERYTHING make me uncomfortable. I tend to have a very sarcastic and dry (and pretty offensive) sense of humor so we learn to stay away from each other quite quickly. I like The Notebook which is surprising for a jaded unromantic scrooge like me. I never once even thought about a supposed anti-feminist message in the movie... My brain doesn't search for things to get pissed about like that! Oy vey...

Back to the original question: Can you actually make this a tad clearer for me? Do you mean like...what words tick us off? Do you mean incorrectly used words or just terms that are hot-button for us that make us instantly sweat and anxious? Or perhaps I'm completely missing the ball. lol.

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 06:17:15 pm »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;154306

Back to the original question: Can you actually make this a tad clearer for me? Do you mean like...what words tick us off? Do you mean incorrectly used words or just terms that are hot-button for us that make us instantly sweat and anxious?

Either, really, but I was thinking of the latter: terms that may be legit but their usage has become in some way aggravating.

There's a lot of overlap between the 2 categories you mentioned, though. For example, "mansplain" could be considered technically incorrect, since it's slang; "leverage" as a verb is a fairly recent development, I think; certainly its ubiquitous use in the business world is.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 06:46:44 pm »

"Going forward". What the heck is wrong with saying "from now on"? Everyone at my work says this.

Elsewhere, "orientate" and its variants. "Orient" is just fine as it is; I suspect that "orientate" is eventually going to become a standard usage, and that makes me sad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 06:53:56 pm »

"Politically correct" and "political correctness" as terms, not what people think they stand for. Mostly just because I've seen people use it as a trigger word to spew some really vile and hateful stuff.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:54:09 pm by Nyktipolos »
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:17 pm »

Piggybacking on the earlier mention of corporate-ese to include this gem: "best practices."  
It's one of those things idiots say to convince you they're smart.

And then there's "teabagger."  It's like.... really?  That the best you can do?
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 08:32:33 pm »
leverage

mansplain
"It is a story of space flight, whose protagonist is not only a girl but a black girl — and not a girl who is being mansplained about the way of the world, but a girl who does the explaining herself."

'Baby daddy','baby momma'. Besides sounding like something one can buy off a shopping channel, I'm not sure why this one gets under my skin.I suppose it's because when I hear it used,it seems to put the responsible parties at one remove from the child. I heard some young man speaking of his 'baby momma' as if he were not the father and it was some casual relationship. Perhaps to the parents it is, but not to the child. Would saying "she's the mother of *my child*" be a bit too permanent sounding to him? It also makes the mother/father sound somehow disposable. Have a little respect, please.

Maybe I'm just getting cranky:(
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:41:36 pm by carillion »

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 09:17:02 pm »

Vajayjay.

Seriously???  It's a vagina.  Get over yourself with your fucked up attempt to be cute.  Also?  You probably mean vulva, or labia.

ARGH!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 10:52:29 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;154320
Vajayjay.

Seriously???  It's a vagina.  Get over yourself with your fucked up attempt to be cute.  Also?  You probably mean vulva, or labia.

ARGH!

Jeez, do I, a guy who orientates toward other guys, have to mansplain your vajayjay to you? Going forward, maybe you can leverage this new knowledge to become somebody's baby momma...or is that too politically incorrect for the best practices of a teabagger like you?

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:11:54 am »
Quote from: Altair;154323
Jeez, do I, a guy who orientates toward other guys, have to mansplain your vajayjay to you? Going forward, maybe you can leverage this new knowledge to become somebody's baby momma...or is that too politically incorrect for the best practices of a teabagger like you?

Dammit.  

"You must spread some Reputation around...."
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Astrid

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 04:36:14 am »

My first good laugh of the day! :D

"We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out"  - Delenn, Babylon 5

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 06:56:18 am »
Quote from: carillion;154318
'Baby daddy','baby momma'. Besides sounding like something one can buy off a shopping channel, I'm not sure why this one gets under my skin.I suppose it's because when I hear it used,it seems to put the responsible parties at one remove from the child. I heard some young man speaking of his 'baby momma' as if he were not the father and it was some casual relationship. Perhaps to the parents it is, but not to the child. Would saying "she's the mother of *my child*" be a bit too permanent sounding to him? It also makes the mother/father sound somehow disposable. Have a little respect, please.

Maybe I'm just getting cranky:(

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. Piggybacking off of this one, I cringe at the word "Preggo" Preggo is a spaghetti sauce.

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 06:57:47 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;154320
Vajayjay.

ARGH!

My boyfriend and I cant stand when people say "Pagina" to be cutesy with little girls. Like when moms will say that instead of vagina.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 09:05:07 am »

I'm glad I swallowed before reading!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: