collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Ogham for Divination  (Read 4334 times)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Re: Ogham for Divination
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 03:28:05 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;154295
I didn't mean to pick on you and I'll sorry if it came across that way!  I really was just curious about what you meant -- if you meant it in a recon sense, or if you saw another kind of problem.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about ogam out there. Like that it's only about trees or it's linked to some kind of "Celtic astrology", stuff like that.  Since I know you to be an intelligent, thinking person, I was just wondering if you were identifying something else along those lines.

That was all I was thinking of, really. And bemoaning not being able to know if they ever *were* used for divination in the past.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 07:25:35 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;154277
The trouble is, we don't know if Ogham was ever used as a divination system - it's more likely that it was simply an alphabet.

Well, they were used as divination and in magical contexts in a couple of stories and manuscripts -- the Tain Bó Cuailgne, a version of The Wooing of Étaín, and at the beginning of the Ogam Tract where Ogma creates the feda to convey a warning/prophecy.

In the Tain, Cuchulainn inscribes a hoop (a "withe" in this translation) with an ogam riddle which halts the Connacht army until the druids can answer it (see the translation here via Mary Jones -- scroll down to p. 131; this is also mentioned in a footnote on p. 26 of Weaving Word Wisdom, sourced in Kinsella's Tain).

And in The Wooing Of Étaín, one of Eochaid's druids, Dallán, casts four rods of yew carved with ogam to determine where Étaín had been taken. (Also described in the same footnote as above on WWW, sourced in McManus' A Guide to Ogam; see the story here via Mary Jones -- paragraph 18. In this link it says three wands, but Laurie's book says four).

These of course date from the medieval period, so we can't really be sure of their authenticity or truth to what was going on before then, but it is suggestive.
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 03:22:11 am »
Quote from: Finn;154312
Well, they were used as divination and in magical contexts in a couple of stories and manuscripts -- the Tain Bó Cuailgne, a version of The Wooing of Étaín, and at the beginning of the Ogam Tract where Ogma creates the feda to convey a warning/prophecy.

In the Tain, Cuchulainn inscribes a hoop (a "withe" in this translation) with an ogam riddle which halts the Connacht army until the druids can answer it (see the translation here via Mary Jones -- scroll down to p. 131; this is also mentioned in a footnote on p. 26 of Weaving Word Wisdom, sourced in Kinsella's Tain).

And in The Wooing Of Étaín, one of Eochaid's druids, Dallán, casts four rods of yew carved with ogam to determine where Étaín had been taken. (Also described in the same footnote as above on WWW, sourced in McManus' A Guide to Ogam; see the story here via Mary Jones -- paragraph 18. In this link it says three wands, but Laurie's book says four).

These of course date from the medieval period, so we can't really be sure of their authenticity or truth to what was going on before then, but it is suggestive.

I've always seen those as being unclear as to whether the ogham characters are being used for divination or not. The riddle in the Tain isn't quite the kind of divination we do with Ogham now, although it's very interesting. Neither is Ogma's warning, although that's getting closer. Only The Wooing of Etain gets close. That's one source, therefore. But it certainly hints at the possibility. Still, I don't think we have any proof of what happened pre-medieval era, or even what most of the the medieval sources are referring to, exactly. The lists of Ogham associations are fascinating but unclear as to how they were used, for example.
- Doctor Who

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:17 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;154331
Still, I don't think we have any proof of what happened pre-medieval era, or even what most of the the medieval sources are referring to, exactly. The lists of Ogham associations are fascinating but unclear as to how they were used, for example.

Well, no, we don't, but I don't really care; the suggestion is good enough for me. :)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 01:07:46 pm »
Quote from: Finn;154349
Well, no, we don't, but I don't really care; the suggestion is good enough for me. :)

Fair enough! We are (many of us) neo-pagans, not iron age people, after all. Where I get more worried is when people start claiming Ogham is an 'ancient system' and making assertions about what the Celts did with it that we have no clue about. Which has happened almost every time I've been to an event where Ogham has been used or spoken about. So I get nervous, and have a tendency to want to state what we do and don't know about it. Apologies if that was unnecessary.
- Doctor Who

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;154352
Where I get more worried is when people start claiming Ogham is an 'ancient system' and making assertions about what the Celts did with it that we have no clue about. Which has happened almost every time I've been to an event where Ogham has been used or spoken about. So I get nervous, and have a tendency to want to state what we do and don't know about it. Apologies if that was unnecessary.

No worries! I totally understand. :)

Tags: