Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Ogham for Divination  (Read 4325 times)

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Ogham for Divination
« on: July 28, 2014, 06:58:10 pm »
Firstly, I want to start this thread by asking a favor: if anyone sees anything like this for sale, let me know. I've fallen in love and can't get back up:

On to topic: Do any of you use Ogham for divination purposes? What techniques do you use?

We can expand this to Norse runes as well. I've been curious about those too. Are they used similarly?

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ogham for Divination
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:07:34 pm »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;154205
Firstly, I want to start this thread by asking a favor: if anyone sees anything like this for sale, let me know. I've fallen in love and can't get back up:

On to topic: Do any of you use Ogham for divination purposes? What techniques do you use?

We can expand this to Norse runes as well. I've been curious about those too. Are they used similarly?

Here you go

(i used reverse image search)
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:12:04 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;154207
Here you go

-drools- I don't even know how to read ogham and even I'm coveting that set.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:27:18 pm »

I've seen similarly lovely sets on etsy from time to time.

I've dabbled with ogham divination periodically, but I started with tarot, which is decidedly more concrete in its answers than ogham is. I've not developed the knack for the ...emotional, I suppose, element of ogham readings- but I admittedly have put very little effort into it, either. It's just not been a priority, really. I know that Erynn Rowan Laurie's book on ogham is a respected source on the topic. (I know I had a copy, but I don't remember unpacking it last week. Hrm.)

My understanding is that Norse runes are read in similar fashions, but I have an informal geis against dabbling with Nordic & Germanic stuff, for lack of a better word, so I can't really say for sure.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:30:33 pm »

I have moved this to the divination board as it would be more appropriate (and possibly gather more replies) there.

Melamphoros, TC Board Staff

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 07:50:21 pm »
Quote from: Sage;154209
-drools- I don't even know how to read ogham and even I'm coveting that set.

No! It's mine!

Imagine Stuart from Mad TV kicking you away....that's me :p

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:52:08 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;154216
I have moved this to the divination board as it would be more appropriate (and possibly gather more replies) there.

Melamphoros, TC Board Staff

Thank you! I looked for that and couldn't find it. I must not have looked hard enough.

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 07:53:20 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;154207
Here you go

I saw that too and my heart broke because she's not making them anymore. :(

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 12:33:21 am »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;154224
I saw that too and my heart broke because she's not making them anymore. :(

Check Etsy. I've seen similar sets there, and even if you don't see exactly what you want, many artists will do custom orders.  I've also seen sets in which each stave is made from the kind of wood the ogam feda represents, which I think are seriously cool.

When I do divination, I often use ogam.  I have 2 sets made of stones that my husband made for me, one of which uses the 3 current system Erynn Laurie lays out in her book, as well as a set of wooden staves I bought, which I don't use often.

I tend to use Erynn's system, as detailed in the book Juni (I think) mentioned upthread.  I modify some of the interpretations based on what I learned in an ogam workshop I took with Alexei Kondratiev years ago. But I find Erynn's system to be very effective, especially the 3 current system (which is kinda sorta like the suits in tarot), which adds a lot of texture to readings.

I agree with Juni that ogam tends to deal best with more emotional and spiritual kinds of questions. I use Lenormand cards for more concrete, practical kinds of questions. And sometimes I use both.

For me, the hardest part of ogam is that the symbols are so similar. I have a very difficult time reading them without checking the book. With other forms of divination, the symbols have a lot more variety, and I can remember them more easily. Even runes, which do have some that look similar. But I find ogam almost impossible to memorize.   Once I know which feda it is, I know the interpretation, though.

Other than that, it's just a matter of practice.

By the way, if you Google Erynn's site, you'll find an inexpensive ($5 last time I checked) booklet that is a very abbreviated overview of her interpretations. I think it's called "Not Your Mama's Tree Ogam" or something like that. While it's great for getting a general sense of the system, it's NOT a substitute for the book. There's so much more in the book -- definitely worth the price, if you're interested in ogam divination.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 06:35:40 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;154264
Check Etsy. I've seen similar sets there, and even if you don't see exactly what you want, many artists will do custom orders.  I've also seen sets in which each stave is made from the kind of wood the ogam feda represents, which I think are seriously cool.

When I do divination, I often use ogam.  I have 2 sets made of stones that my husband made for me, one of which uses the 3 current system Erynn Laurie lays out in her book, as well as a set of wooden staves I bought, which I don't use often.

I tend to use Erynn's system, as detailed in the book Juni (I think) mentioned upthread.  I modify some of the interpretations based on what I learned in an ogam workshop I took with Alexei Kondratiev years ago. But I find Erynn's system to be very effective, especially the 3 current system (which is kinda sorta like the suits in tarot), which adds a lot of texture to readings.

I agree with Juni that ogam tends to deal best with more emotional and spiritual kinds of questions. I use Lenormand cards for more concrete, practical kinds of questions. And sometimes I use both.

For me, the hardest part of ogam is that the symbols are so similar. I have a very difficult time reading them without checking the book. With other forms of divination, the symbols have a lot more variety, and I can remember them more easily. Even runes, which do have some that look similar. But I find ogam almost impossible to memorize.   Once I know which feda it is, I know the interpretation, though.

Other than that, it's just a matter of practice.

By the way, if you Google Erynn's site, you'll find an inexpensive ($5 last time I checked) booklet that is a very abbreviated overview of her interpretations. I think it's called "Not Your Mama's Tree Ogam" or something like that. While it's great for getting a general sense of the system, it's NOT a substitute for the book. There's so much more in the book -- definitely worth the price, if you're interested in ogam divination.

Wow, thank you!! I'm going to check this book out asap.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 07:29:08 am »

I use them. I have Erynn Laurie's book as a reference, and I use other books too. The trouble is, we don't know if Ogham was ever used as a divination system - it's more likely that it was simply an alphabet. So we can draw on the medieval lists, like Erynn does, but modern interpretations are just as valid, and so are your own interpretations. If you find tree associations useful, there are trees associated with each character (some have several associated with them) and that can be helpful. I've been meditating with different trees and trying to work out how I, personally, feel about their associations with each of the letters. I live in a place where most of the associated trees are native to my area - people living in other countries have sometimes adapted the letters to different trees. Laurie talks about that a bit in her book. Be flexible in your interpretations, basically!
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 10:23:41 am »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;154222
No! It's mine!

Imagine Stuart from Mad TV kicking you away....that's me :p

Surely we can work something out. Joint custody, maybe? Alternate weekends? :D
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 01:11:01 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;154277
The trouble is, we don't know if Ogham was ever used as a divination system - it's more likely that it was simply an alphabet.

Naomi, I'm curious about why you phrased this as "trouble".  Are you coming from a recon perspective, which would likely reject using ogam for divination since there's little, if any, evidence for that historically?  Or do you see it as a problem for a different reason?

I'm just curious. :-)

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 01:16:56 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;154289
Naomi, I'm curious about why you phrased this as "trouble".  Are you coming from a recon perspective, which would likely reject using ogam for divination since there's little, if any, evidence for that historically?  Or do you see it as a problem for a different reason?

I'm just curious. :-)

I do come from a more recon perspective than some, yeah. I also don't always use language very well/precisely, especially if I haven't crafted a phrase carefully. Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:17:13 pm by Naomi J »
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 03:25:30 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;154290
I do come from a more recon perspective than some, yeah. I also don't always use language very well/precisely, especially if I haven't crafted a phrase carefully. Sorry.

I didn't mean to pick on you and I'll sorry if it came across that way!  I really was just curious about what you meant -- if you meant it in a recon sense, or if you saw another kind of problem.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about ogam out there. Like that it's only about trees or it's linked to some kind of "Celtic astrology", stuff like that.  Since I know you to be an intelligent, thinking person, I was just wondering if you were identifying something else along those lines.

Tags: