collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: RIP Margot Adler  (Read 2429 times)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
RIP Margot Adler
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:56:22 pm »
I was shocked and heartbroken to hear the news that Margot Adler passed away suddenly. Here is the Patheos article.

Margot Adler's Drawing Down the Moon was the first Pagan book I specifically researched and bought for myself as a junior in high school. It also became part of my undergraduate thesis on Paganism and gender identity. I really respected the work that she did for greater Pagandom, as well as her professional life as an NPR reporter. I heard her on the radio just the other month; it's so bizarre that I'll never do so again.

A thousand of bread, a thousand of beer, a thousand of every good thing. May Margot Adler ascend and may her family be comforted.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: RIP Margot Adler
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:07:12 pm »
Quote from: Sage;154175
I was shocked and heartbroken to hear the news that Margot Adler passed away suddenly. Here is the Patheos article.

Margot Adler's Drawing Down the Moon was the first Pagan book I specifically researched and bought for myself as a junior in high school. It also became part of my undergraduate thesis on Paganism and gender identity. I really respected the work that she did for greater Pagandom, as well as her professional life as an NPR reporter. I heard her on the radio just the other month; it's so bizarre that I'll never do so again.

A thousand of bread, a thousand of beer, a thousand of every good thing. May Margot Adler ascend and may her family be comforted.

Sad day. Drawing Down the Moon was a huge influence on me in my early days of paganism. I think I should pick up a new copy (mine has gone missing, alas) and reread it.

May her journey to the land that lies beyond be swift and peaceful, may she be welcomed there with open arms, and may her family know comfort.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:53:29 pm »

Thanks for posting!  If it weren't for Drawing Down the Moon, I don't think I'd be on the path I am on today.  I was quite young when I read it (around 12years old) and most of it went over my head, but it did plant the seed for me...

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:18:04 pm »

And here is the NPR blog post on her passing and her work at NPR.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:47:32 am »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;154178
Thanks for posting!  If it weren't for Drawing Down the Moon, I don't think I'd be on the path I am on today.  I was quite young when I read it (around 12years old) and most of it went over my head, but it did plant the seed for me...

Drawing Down the Moon was one of the very first books on paganism I bought when I realized I wasn't alone in my changing religious views. And I always enjoyed listening to her NPR articles.

Rest in peace.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:35:07 pm »

I wasn't familiar with her work with NPR, but I was shocked by her sudden death. Drawing Down the Moon was my first really comprehensive introduction to paganism and I associate the book with a lot of good memories. I either need to find my copy or buy a new one it seems. Rest in peace, Ms Adler, you will be very dearly missed.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 11:09:22 pm »

This is very sad news. Her work has had a monumental influence on modern paganism, and she seemed like a knowledgeable and delightful person. She will be missed.

Tags: