Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Satanists Turn Hobby Lobby Ruling Upside-down  (Read 3343 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Satanists Turn Hobby Lobby Ruling Upside-down
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:15:41 am »
I've been watching the shenanigans of Lucien Greaves's Satanic Temple in the press with increasing interest. I am now officially in love.

Satanists want to use Hobby Lobby decision to exempt women from anti-abortion laws

"In a statement, the Satanic Temple said that it will use the Supreme Court’s recent Hobby Lobby decision to exempt its believers from state-mandated informed consent laws that require women considering abortions to read pro-life material."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/28/satanists-want-to-use-hobby-lobby-decision-to-exempt-women-from-anti-abortion-laws/#.U9ZIZ1NFzlw.twitter

They may be unlikely to prevail, but you never know. They certainly get points for creative thinking!
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Satanists Turn Hobby Lobby Ruling Upside-down
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:18:43 am »
Quote from: Altair;154163

They may be unlikely to prevail, but you never know. They certainly get points for creative thinking!

Bless the Satanists. If I had the money I'd buy them all a round a drinks.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:26:23 pm »
I've been watching the shenanigans of Lucien Greaves's Satanic Temple in the press with increasing interest. I am now officially in love.

I love these guys.  Their trolling of conservative society is enough to warm that shriveled husk where my heart is suppose to be.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Lysana

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:33:28 pm »

Bloody brilliant.

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 05:39:50 pm »

Satanists want to use Hobby Lobby decision to exempt women from anti-abortion laws

"In a statement, the Satanic Temple said that it will use the Supreme Court’s recent Hobby Lobby decision to exempt its believers from state-mandated informed consent laws that require women considering abortions to read pro-life material."

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/28/satanists-want-to-use-hobby-lobby-decision-to-exempt-women-from-anti-abortion-laws/#.U9ZIZ1NFzlw.twitter

YES!

This is awesome. Go Satanists :)

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:05:00 pm »

Sauce for the goose, hot sauce for the gander.

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:33:54 pm »

Very creative...yay Satanists!

Astrid

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 09:16:22 pm »

How fantastic!! I love it! Thank you for sharing!

"We are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out"  - Delenn, Babylon 5

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 05:28:42 pm »
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 07:00:01 pm »
Quote from: victoreia;160621
And there's the guy who led a pagan invocation at a county commission meeting in Florida.

:ange::whis:

Yowsa! Give that dude his own minaret! ( and I don't even follow his faith) but I would enjoy listening to that .

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 03:34:25 am »

Depends upon what you mean by the Hobby Lobby decision.

If you mean how can a closely held corporation use the RFRA, then the head line is not going to work.  The Satanic church has no standing, the law doesn't force the church to make it's members read the material.

If the women who are members want to avoid reading the material on religious grounds, then sort of.  It would still be the RFRA, but any of the earlier RFRA cases involving individuals work, although like the Utah FLDS case they might reference the HL decision.

A third option would be an abortion provider who is a member of the church could use the HL ruling with their closely held / LLC / et al clinic. That would a much more creative and effective use of the system. Any provider could use an appellate or Supreme Court ruling at the district level to effectively kill the requirement based upon Their church's stance.

As for letting any person print out the letter from the website, again, I doubt it.  Each woman, or at least a woman, would have to sue to set the precedent.  Now it gets interesting I think.  If they are not a member of a church that has had precedent set for it's members I would think they'd have to sue and show it was a sincerely held religious belief.  Expensive and the abortion provider would probably have to deny the abortion until a district judge made a ruling - that might take only a few days, but I'd think that would be bad precedent, it would be an easy way to delay things so you'd expect more required reading a laws.

Kudos for creative thinking though.

Valeria Crowe

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://thesallowbeldam.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 10:25:43 am »

Interesting group. Hardly rebellious or antinmian as you'd expect from a Satanic temple, but they are getting shit done.

Apparently they won the right to distribute Satanic tracts to schoolchildren. Huzzah!

Nothing lile my lot at all, they seem to be atheistic symbolic Satanists like the LaVeyans, but nicer and socially responsible.

Still, a victory for my side. Huzzah!

|m|
"This is a sorrow-spider. Which end do you hold it by? TRICK QUESTION!"

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 11:47:04 am »
Quote from: victoreia;160621
And there's the guy who led a pagan invocation at a county commission meeting in Florida.

:ange::whis:

That was beautiful. I don't share his faith, but I would hve almost hummed along to that prayer. <3 Kudos to him.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 04:39:37 pm »

Satanists, this group in particular, keep getting more irritating with each passing day.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 04:46:19 pm »
Quote from: Castus;160743
Satanists, this group in particular, keep getting more irritating with each passing day.

You think women who want abortions should be forced to read pro life material?
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Tags: