Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Much weirdness - omens?  (Read 3185 times)

NatureMade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Much weirdness - omens?
« on: August 23, 2011, 02:39:20 pm »
I came to the Cauldron today (to find it a completely New Cauldron where I was not even a registered member :() to ask a question about omens. I hope this is the right forum for that.

Ordinarily, this is not something I really believe in, but the strangest thing happened to me this morning and now I am scratching my head BIG time!

I was making breakfast, and as I turned from the stove to walk over to the table, I kicked something on the floor with my toe. I looked down and didn't see anything at first, but then I saw over against a little rug, a skeleton key lying on the floor. I picked it up and examined it, but I honestly have to say I have never seen it before in my life!

It is made of steel and incised with Corbin P7 near the top. I looked it up on the internet and found similar keys on ebay and other antique shops, etc. but I can't really find anything particular about it except that it is probably from the late 1800s to about 1920 and is probably a door key.

The weird thing is that my husband had just swept the floor and it was not there before. When I showed it to him, he had no idea where it came from either. We live in the boonies and never (and I do mean NEVER) have company, so it did not fall from anyone's pocket. We built this house ourselves from scratch so there are no old hidden doors or cabinets anywhere for it to have come from. We do have some antiques in the house, but this key does not fit any door, cabinet, chest or anything else in the house.

Then weird thing number two happened. I finally got over my bafflement and stopped researching old skeleton keys to log into facebook and see what my two boys were up to.

When I got to the homepage, my youngest son had written a message asking for help on a research paper he was working on (on human trafficking) knowing that I am active in civil rights. I went to my save list of searches for things like that, and then to the first place on the list (so I could send him a few links). This is what came up... http://www.stophumantraffic.com/ (please scroll down to the drawing at the bottom of the page -- a hand with the outline of a skeleton key on the palm!:eek:)

What -- if anything -- do you suppose this means? The strangeness is palpable. I feel that it must mean something, but I am at a loss to know what!:confused:

NatureMade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Much weirdness - omens?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:42:06 pm »
Quote from: NatureMade;15097
I came to the Cauldron today (to find it a completely New Cauldron where I was not even a registered member :() to ask a question about omens. I hope this is the right forum for that.

Ordinarily, this is not something I really believe in, but the strangest thing happened to me this morning and now I am scratching my head BIG time!

I was making breakfast, and as I turned from the stove to walk over to the table, I kicked something on the floor with my toe. I looked down and didn't see anything at first, but then I saw over against a little rug, a skeleton key lying on the floor. I picked it up and examined it, but I honestly have to say I have never seen it before in my life!

It is made of steel and incised with Corbin P7 near the top. I looked it up on the internet and found similar keys on ebay and other antique shops, etc. but I can't really find anything particular about it except that it is probably from the late 1800s to about 1920 and is probably a door key.

The weird thing is that my husband had just swept the floor and it was not there before. When I showed it to him, he had no idea where it came from either. We live in the boonies and never (and I do mean NEVER) have company, so it did not fall from anyone's pocket. We built this house ourselves from scratch so there are no old hidden doors or cabinets anywhere for it to have come from. We do have some antiques in the house, but this key does not fit any door, cabinet, chest or anything else in the house.

Then weird thing number two happened. I finally got over my bafflement and stopped researching old skeleton keys to log into facebook and see what my two boys were up to.

When I got to the homepage, my youngest son had written a message asking for help on a research paper he was working on (on human trafficking) knowing that I am active in civil rights. I went to my save list of searches for things like that, and then to the first place on the list (so I could send him a few links). This is what came up... http://www.stophumantraffic.com/ (please scroll down to the drawing at the bottom of the page -- a hand with the outline of a skeleton key on the palm!:eek:)

What -- if anything -- do you suppose this means? The strangeness is palpable. I feel that it must mean something, but I am at a loss to know what!:confused:

I forgot to mention one more strange coincidence. Our nearest neighbor - across the rural highway we live on - is surnamed Corbin!

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 03:06:19 pm »
Is there any possibilty that the key belongs to Mr/s Corbin and was left at your house?

Quote from: NatureMade;15098
I forgot to mention one more strange coincidence. Our nearest neighbor - across the rural highway we live on - is surnamed Corbin!
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

NatureMade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:42:14 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;15106
Is there any possibilty that the key belongs to Mr/s Corbin and was left at your house?

No. The name Corbin is the manufacturer of the key (like Acme). Not only that, but the Mr. Corbin across the street is a real prick who would never be invited to our house. He has never even been in our yard! (Although he has been on our property a few years back -- but we have 75 acres and he was trespassing  riding his horse across to the National Forest that joins our property.)

No - the key was not dropped or introduced here by anyone. The only person who has been in our house besides we two in the last few years was my son for about 5 minutes a year and a half ago. Before that, I don't think we have had a visitor for well over five years.

I also doubt it would be a burglar or unauthorized person since we have 11 dogs who live with us. They wouldn't let a fly in the yard without setting off a bark alarm! :) I also have not left home for over two years, (I am a very reclusive artist and writer and work from home. I have no reason to leave since my husband runs all our errands in town, so I would definitely know if anyone had been here).

Plus, as I said, it wasn't there one minute and then it just suddenly was. Neither of us have ever laid eyes on it before.

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:36:57 pm »
Quote from: NatureMade;15117

Plus, as I said, it wasn't there one minute and then it just suddenly was. Neither of us have ever laid eyes on it before.

Just a thought. A bird could have dropped the key, as it's shiny and birds seem to like shiny. But then the question would be, why here....why now?  (tons of help, I know)
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

NatureMade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;15206
Just a thought. A bird could have dropped the key, as it's shiny and birds seem to like shiny. But then the question would be, why here....why now?  (tons of help, I know)

Well that might be an explanation if it was outside. We do have crows and bluejays (they love shiny things). But... it was in the kitchen AND the key is old and not at all shiny. Quite dull and dark actually.

My best non-paranormal guess is that it was stuck on the underside of a drawer or something from one of the old desks or cabinets in the house. (I have an antique rolltop and a possum belly hutch in my kitchen -- both very old. The desk was my late father-in-laws and he rescued it a long time ago from the basement of an old store and refinished it. I would think he would have noticed a key stuck to it though. Plus the key doesn't fit either of the two locks on the desk and we do have a key that does.

The hutch, we bought several years ago at a flea market so I don't know much about it except that it is circa 1900. It was also slightly repaired and refinished before we bought it, and it doesn't have any place to use a key. However, I suppose someone could have taped a spare door key or something to it for an emergency, but I have moved this thing and had it apart for cleaning many times and never found one.

So... still a puzzle.

Wherever it came from though, I am wondering exactly what you said... "why here... why now?"

The fact is, money is very tight and my husband has not been able to get work for a long while. We own our house, property and vehicle outright and our bills are super low, but we do have a lot of animals to feed and care for, so some extra cash would be nice. I keep hoping the key opens a door full of gold bullion or at least a treasure chest somewhere. It would have been nice to have a tag along with it though. Something like the label on Alice's bottle that said "Drink Me!". Pointers are always a good thing! ;)

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:06:04 pm »
Quote from: NatureMade;15097

Was there ever another house where your is now?  And is your property anywhere near slave escape routes from the past?

I'm not as skeptical as a lot of people.  I follow Sherlock Holmes' (I think) maxim that once you have eliminated the impossible whatever is left could be the truth.  If there is no physical way for that key to appear I would look into the history of the area, especially with regards to the type of thing your son is researching.  The coincidence of the skeleton key on the page and the skeleton key in your house really should be looked at.

It's all well and good to try to eliminate mystical reasons for an event, but not to the point of deciding that there absolutely can't be weird stuff in the world.

Absent

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 10:49:14 pm »
Quote from: NatureMade;15117
No. The name Corbin is the manufacturer of the key (like Acme). Not only that, but the Mr. Corbin across the street is a real prick who would never be invited to our house. He has never even been in our yard! (Although he has been on our property a few years back -- but we have 75 acres and he was trespassing  riding his horse across to the National Forest that joins our property.)

Had to ask. :)

I don't think your curiousity is out of line. My husband and I are looking into moving and Arkansas and Texas were two places we ruled out. I sat up and an Arkansas state quarter fell. My husband found a Texas quarter later. Then we found a nickel with Monticello on the back and laughed at our silliness...until the next day when he got a job interview for Monticello, Arkansas. Wyrder things have happened (still debating taking the job, though....)

Anyway.

The key is connected to a) human trafficking and b) Mr. Corbin. So what do a and b have in common besides you?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:56:19 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

NatureMade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:53:03 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;15226
Was there ever another house where your is now?  And is your property anywhere near slave escape routes from the past?

I'm not as skeptical as a lot of people.  I follow Sherlock Holmes' (I think) maxim that once you have eliminated the impossible whatever is left could be the truth.  If there is no physical way for that key to appear I would look into the history of the area, especially with regards to the type of thing your son is researching.  The coincidence of the skeleton key on the page and the skeleton key in your house really should be looked at.

It's all well and good to try to eliminate mystical reasons for an event, but not to the point of deciding that there absolutely can't be weird stuff in the world.

Absent

Absent

I never eliminate weird stuff from the possibilities. In fact, my life contains so much of it, it IS normal. ;)

This house was made from the salvaged materials from several houses that my husband and I took apart and hauled here. We didn't want to go into debt, so we built everything ourselves and only purchased what we absolutely had to. I don't know the history of any of the houses that were torn down (it was because of a highway project) but most of them were fairly modern houses. None old enough to have 19th century ghosts or anything in them.

The land is way out in the middle of nowhere, but I did go to the courthouse to research the title many years ago and traced every owner all the way back to the last book in the archives (the courthouse was burned down 5 times -- 3 during the Civil War) so a lot of the records were lost and the furthest I could research was around the early 1800s. This whole area was once settled by poor German folks who made pencils and railroad timbers from the oaks and Ashe junipers, then got into the pearl button industry with the mussels in the White River; then apparently ringed a lot of the trees so they could plant tomatoes in the woods and start a community canning industry. It was a busy place at one time! (But still very rural, very white, very racist and not very populated. Its still pretty much that way.)

The Bald Knobbers ran rampant through here so there were lots of lynchings and people run out of town tarred and feathered. The Daltons and the James gang were here and it was a hotbed of Civil War fighting. (Yes, I am in the SW MO Ozarks.) This actual property was once owned by the Yokum family (of the famous Yokum dollars).

We have found two or three old split rail fences (or rather the rotted remains of them) on the land, but none in this exact spot. Lots of native things too -- including some rather interesting mounds up in the forest. And... we run across the occasional old tool, car part -- even a few old Model A tires once in awhile.

So, yeah... there is a history here. I just don't know which part to focus on!

NatureMade

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 11:04:58 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;15248

I don't think your curiousity is out of line. My husband and I are looking into moving and Arkansas and Texas were two places we rules out. I sat up and an Arkansas state quarter fell. My husband found a Texas quarter later. Then we found a nickle with Monticello on the back and laughed at our silliness...until the next day when he got a job interview for Monticello, Arkansas. Wyrder things have happened (still debating taking the job, though....)

Anyway.

The key is connected to a) human trafficking and b) Mr. Corbin. So what do a and b have in common besides you?

How funny!:D: I have had things like that happen too, so I definitely believe it!

As for Corbin and human trafficking... boy, if there was ever someone who would do something like that around here, he would be a prime candidate. The man is scary and dangerous. He rarely speaks to us, but when he does its always a rant about what he will do to anyone he ever catches on his place or who he would like to shoot or similar. Also he isn't from here. He moved here from Miami about 10 years ago, and he was doing something nefarious there (or so he would have us believe -- possibly bluster to make us think he is not to be messed with, but who knows?!)

I really don't like him at all and never did. It was just one of those instant dislike things, but he has never said or done anything to make me change my mind. I don't actually know anything about him though except what I have been able to glean from his hateful rants. And I haven't spoken to him in years. He deliberately looks away if he sees me get the mail or even if I give a friendly wave in passing him on the road. He has a very "shifty" sort of character, but it could well be only a personality thing. I don't know what he may have done in the past, and its kind of out in the boonies away from obvious borders for human trafficking at this point in time.

Still... he IS a creep!

Jubes

• Staff
  • Location: Overlooking the bottom of a lake and the beginning of a river....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 11:24:38 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;15248

Well I googled  Human trafficking+ Corbin+ skeleton key didn't get too many interesting BUT  I did  find this,

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/show-your-support-for-the-a21-campaign-antique-skeleton-key-small

so then I googled A21 Campaign and  found this http://www.thea21campaign.org/

I don't know  but perhaps it  was  a "key" to help  you find some information for your son's  project?
Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......

Tags: