Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Your faith in your home decor  (Read 11846 times)

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
Re: Your faith in your home decor
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2014, 05:27:39 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;155159
Currently I don't have a whole lot (though, really, I don't have much in the way of home decor in general, so maybe not too surprising).  That said, I just received a beautiful wall hanging/tapestry/thing? from my parents for my birthday featuring the Green Man, and he's being rather insistent about being put up (and somewhere highly visible, at that) ASAP.

Given the size of the hanging (it's at least 6'x6', possibly larger), I'm going to have to do some shuffling to find an appropriate wall that's large enough to hold. Also, I have no idea how to actually secure it to the wall, having never worked with Substantial Fabric Decorations before. I'm pretty sure that if I try to do what I do with my posters (to wit, thumbtacks through the corners), it'll either rip the fabric or just pull the thumbtacks right out of the wall.  Anybody have any suggestions?

I used to use thumbtacks or a bigass staple gun back in my "we can't paint so let's cover the walls in fabric" phase. Jake's idea sounds less ghetto.

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2014, 12:37:07 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;155325
I used to use thumbtacks or a bigass staple gun back in my "we can't paint so let's cover the walls in fabric" phase. Jake's idea sounds less ghetto.

I have both a success story and a snag.  First, the success. I actually had two hangings of this sort; here is the not-Green-Man one hung in the bedroom.  I sewed a sort of 'sleeve' on the top edge of the fabric so that it would stay on the dowel, and then it's just sitting on two curtain rod holders.

The snag:  the Green Man fabric is, I finally took a tape measure to it, a mind-boggling 7'9" from top to bottom.  The place I have to hang it, on the wall in the basement, is almost exactly 7' from floor to ceiling. So there's not even enough space to hang it if I stapled it to the ceiling, much less with the 'wiggle room' that the curtain-rod method needs.
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Ghost235

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2014, 03:23:46 pm »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;153916
Im sure this thread exists in some form on some other board and, if it does, please feel free to direct me to it and delete this one.

Do any of you have decor in your home that reflect your beliefs? Be it an alter, a cross, a statue, etc.

I will post mine in the comments :)

I have three primary altars.  One is my pan-Buddhist altar with two thankas, my wooden Buddha, and important pictures.  The other is my Erzulie altar which is white with pink and all that(and a kata).  The third is in the deepest corner of my closet.  

In my living room I have a prayer flag tacted up in the living room for Erzulie Freda(she was really very pushy that I A. get a prayer flag.  B. That it be from Haiti C. That it be SUPER SPARKLY and D. That I put it in the living room where everyone can see).

P.S.-  There is a chance I'll do an Freyja altar someday.  Still wondering about that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:24:45 pm by Ghost235 »

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2014, 06:08:24 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;154705

[/URL][/IMG]

Since the thread's been resurrected...

Your bamboo's still alive, I hope?

(Also we have the same paper towel holder thing).
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2014, 11:40:33 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;162496
The snag:  the Green Man fabric is, I finally took a tape measure to it, a mind-boggling 7'9" from top to bottom.  The place I have to hang it, on the wall in the basement, is almost exactly 7' from floor to ceiling. So there's not even enough space to hang it if I stapled it to the ceiling, much less with the 'wiggle room' that the curtain-rod method needs.

Dammit!

beachglass

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2014, 11:52:24 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;162496

I'm guessing it's not something you would cut. Does it have any sort of border area that could be gathered up to shorten it? If you got some wide canvas webbing (possibly even grosgrain ribbon), you could tack the gathers in place with thread. Just make sure you attach the webbing to your hanging rod/ceiling for stability.
"The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show."  ~ Robert Smith

Jainarayan

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2014, 08:59:15 am »
Do any of you have decor in your home that reflect your beliefs? Be it an alter, a cross, a statue, etc.

OMG(s), does it! I have pictures and statues of deities in every room except the bathroom and my step-daughter's room. I have my main shrine, the Asatru shrine. Then I have a grouping of the Hindu deities elsewhere. I have some Buddhist and Taoist deities in another area. I'm thinking about paring it down and putting some of them away. My spouse has Catholic saints and crosses all over, too. The house looks like an ecumenical gathering. :D:

Amphibian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Magpie eclectic feral urban hedge druid(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2014, 01:16:28 pm »
Quote from: beachglass;162556
I'm guessing it's not something you would cut. Does it have any sort of border area that could be gathered up to shorten it? If you got some wide canvas webbing (possibly even grosgrain ribbon), you could tack the gathers in place with thread. Just make sure you attach the webbing to your hanging rod/ceiling for stability.

Definitely not something I want to cut, no. There's a smidgen of flat-black border area that I could probably fold over, but I don't think it's enough to get me the foot I need.

*will continue to ponder*
All knowledge is worth having.
It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.

Aakosir

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2014, 07:41:56 pm »

I have a hand made willow branch pentacle in my kitchen, a small altar on my dresser and some gemstones on the ledge by the stairs. I would love to decorate with more, but finances are very tight right now.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2014, 02:25:41 pm »
Quote from: Amphibian;162606
Definitely not something I want to cut, no. There's a smidgen of flat-black border area that I could probably fold over, but I don't think it's enough to get me the foot I need.

*will continue to ponder*

Attach it to the ceiling?

Tags: