Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Your faith in your home decor  (Read 11942 times)

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Your faith in your home decor
« on: July 25, 2014, 07:09:43 pm »
Im sure this thread exists in some form on some other board and, if it does, please feel free to direct me to it and delete this one.

Do any of you have decor in your home that reflect your beliefs? Be it an alter, a cross, a statue, etc.

I will post mine in the comments :)

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Your faith in your home decor
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 07:19:24 pm »
Quote from: BrighidsAura;153916
Im sure this thread exists in some form on some other board and, if it does, please feel free to direct me to it and delete this one.

Do any of you have decor in your home that reflect your beliefs? Be it an alter, a cross, a statue, etc.

Theres a really long usefull thread here

For myself I have a working altar that I do magic on, I have a hearth shrine which is for Brighid, I have a shrine for The Morigan and I have an ancestor altar
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 07:39:46 pm »

The thread Jake linked to is great!

Lately I have a lot of more miscellaneous magical elements in my home decor, like bobbles and birds and angels and things hung up all over as part of the wards. I've also become pretty fond of 'hanging shrines' because they don't require me to find more flat space; that's at a premium lately.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:44:25 pm »
Quote from: Jake_;153917
Theres a really long usefull thread here

For myself I have a working altar that I do magic on, I have a hearth shrine which is for Brighid, I have a shrine for The Morigan and I have an ancestor altar

Ooooh ok! Let's move it over there :)

Mods, feel free to delete this one.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:49:02 pm »

I have an unfinished shrine to Quan Yin on the top of my dresser, and a glass witch ball above my side of the bed. Unfortunately my roomies aren't thrilled about my beliefs so the decor hasn't/won't spread to the rest of the apartment.

But since we just moved in two weeks ago, and my three roomies are all guys, decor will be sadly lacking.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 08:25:28 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;153922
But since we just moved in two weeks ago, and my three roomies are all guys, decor will be sadly lacking.

You need better male roommates, then. Aside from hanging the art, I managed most of the decor in our place. ;)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 08:47:05 pm »
Quote from: Jack;153931
You need better male roommates, then. Aside from hanging the art, I managed most of the decor in our place. ;)

They're all 20-somethings who only care about drinking beer and sports. But I think I'm going to sneak in some random stuff as I find it. Nothing really feminine, but not just beer-sponsored, hockey-or-baseball-related crap.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 08:51:26 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;153936
They're all 20-somethings who only care about drinking beer and sports. But I think I'm going to sneak in some random stuff as I find it. Nothing really feminine, but not just beer-sponsored, hockey-or-baseball-related crap.

I don't understand why you can't have feminine things in the house just because you live with boys? Also you have as much right to have your stuff there as they do.
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 09:09:41 pm »

There was also this thread a while back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

savveir

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 09:22:57 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;153936

I live with two 20-something guys, I have no problems with decor. They have no strong feelings about decor most of the time, though I make sure there are things around that are relevant to everyone (like nicely framed pictures of one of them out racing motorbikes, also his trophies). Much of the walls are dominated with my art just because I have it and don't want it to get wrecked, so on the walls it goes.
I even have my shrines in shared spaces and they have no issue with it.
"I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it."
-Lewis Carroll

Voren

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: spiritual
  • Preferred Pronouns: Xe/Xir/Xes
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 12:26:41 am »

I have a few paintings on the wall, my outside patio is meant for various entities as well as my own enjoyment and currently I am creating a "house guardian" *(sculpting out of old sticks and twigs).
-Voren
(aka Sou\'r-Ghi\'den)

The Singularity

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 01:16:36 am »

I'm in the process of packing the house so my altar space may very different in the new house. So far I just have a tiny altar that has crystals and an oil burner. I use oil offerings for the spirits interested in my progress. I have a Celtic cross from Ireland (my dad brought it back from a business trip), but that is in a different location.

BrighidsAura

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 07:54:22 am »

You know what this thread needs? Pictures :)

If you don't have pictures of your decor, that's ok too.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 09:23:58 am »
Quote from: Jake_;153938
I don't understand why you can't have feminine things in the house just because you live with boys? Also you have as much right to have your stuff there as they do.

Well right now I'm the only one without a job, but once I do have my own money there will be more decorative things coming in.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 11:30:57 am »
Quote from: missgraceless;153922

In my mid twenties, I lived in a lovely little house that had been built in the 1950s in a complex intended for military families. It had beautiful original hardwood floors in the living room, a completely new kitchen, fresh paint and laminate throughout. I had two roommates, one female and one male. The male was just a big old XBox playing, forklift driving, inviting-his-drug-dealer-to-the-housewarming sort of dude. This was his first time living outside the home, and he was eager to contribute to the decorating choices.

We agreed the Evil Dead statuette could be in the living room. But when he tried to hang a framed Spider-Man picture above the fireplace I'm pretty sure I threatened to feed his body to stray dogs.

I've known multiple men who, for some weird reason, do not understand drapes. "I have blinds," is always the answer when you ask about it. One of my sister's ex boyfriends hung a raincoat in the window to further block sun. This was a man in his thirties.  I don't even have words for the mockery.

Aaanyway. Rest assured that there are men with better taste out in the world. I know several now, although the drapes thing still seems to baffle a few of them.

Tags: