Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Learning about druidry heathenism and Egyptian paganism?  (Read 2838 times)

Hipporadish

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Learning about druidry heathenism and Egyptian paganism?
« on: July 23, 2014, 03:22:04 pm »
Pleases could people with knowledge of the aforementioned paths help me out with my path searching by giving a basic summary of the beliefs and practices as well as books I could read to gain further information.

Thanks in advance

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Learning about druidry heathenism and Egyptian paganism?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 06:27:49 pm »
Quote from: Hipporadish;153710
Pleases could people with knowledge of the aforementioned paths help me out with my path searching by giving a basic summary of the beliefs and practices as well as books I could read to gain further information.

Thanks in advance

At TC we have SIGs (Special Interest Groups) for specific religious interests. You might want to check out the following SIGs; each of them has information for newbies and a recommended resource list for those looking to learn more stickied at the top of each subforum.

Asatru and Heathenry SIG

Neo-Druidry SIG

Reformed Kemeticism SIG

Each of those three religious groupingss you're talking about are pretty complex at their core. For example, there are several individual paths and traditions within the larger labels of heathenism, druidry, and Egyptian (or Kemetic) Paganism. And not all the traditions have very much to do with each other. That's why coming up with a quick-and-easy rundown of what all druidry is about or what all Kemetic Pagans are up to can be difficult, if not impossible!

I would recommend poking at the above SIGs a bit and reading through threads that interest you (especially the resource lists). That should give you a better understanding of what all these traditions are about and give you better context for asking more specific questions.

Good luck!
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

endlessGalaxy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 07:04:13 pm »

Thanks in advance

There's a LOT when it comes to Egyptian religions.  I'd suggest learning about not only the religion of the time, but about the political and cultural climates that affected religion throughout their 3000 years.

Nerys53

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:42 am »

Thanks in advance

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/index.htm

http://www.fellowshipofisis.com/

book The Mysteries of Isis - DeTraci Regula  ( maybe borrow from a libray to read):)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:31:24 pm by SunflowerP »

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:18:10 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;153789

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE

book The Mysteries of Isis - DeTraci Regula  ( maybe borrow from a libray to read):)

If you're going to use the sacred-texts URL link, then I suggest avoiding texts by Budge, until you've got a good understanding and backround on Kemeticism. A lot of his work has been disproven as we've gained more understanding of Ancient Egypt.
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 12:05:23 am »

Thanks in advance

Heathenism peeked my interest too. I'm reading Our Troth vol 1 History and Lore and it is extensive. I was hesitant to purchase it since I do not know if that is the route I want to take, but I am so happy I bought it. This book answered so many questions I had on hard polytheism and personal gnosis as well as honoring deities, the land, and ancestors. This book has many authors so you get a lot of information that is both complementary and contradictory. What I love most about the book is that it references within the text. I wish that more authors used that format.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 09:05:36 am »
Quote from: Nerys53;153789

I don't actually recommend that someone begin with sacred-texts.com when learning about the different flavors of Egyptian and Egyptian-influenced paganism.

To the OP, a summary will depend on the type of Egyptian practice.  For example, are you looking for a neo-pagan practice that is influenced by Ancient Egyptian practices?  Are you looking for information about an organized Kemetic faith, like Kemetic Orthodox?  Are you interested in reconstruction or revivalism?

Any additional information you can provide will help us figure what would be of the most use for you.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Hipporadish

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 03:09:45 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;154280
I don't actually recommend that someone begin with sacred-texts.com when learning about the different flavors of Egyptian and Egyptian-influenced paganism.

To the OP, a summary will depend on the type of Egyptian practice.  For example, are you looking for a neo-pagan practice that is influenced by Ancient Egyptian practices?  Are you looking for information about an organized Kemetic faith, like Kemetic Orthodox?  Are you interested in reconstruction or revivalism?

Any additional information you can provide will help us figure what would be of the most use for you.

I think Egyptian neo paganism but I'm not sure. I'm very much towards a polytheist bent. :confused:

Tags: