Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Looking for Pagan/Polytheist Ebooks  (Read 2413 times)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Looking for Pagan/Polytheist Ebooks
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:00 pm »
So totally out of idle curiosity and not because I'm starting a Pagan book review site or anything... I'm looking for ebooks. Lots and lots and lots of ebooks. Personally I have the most interest in things like devotionals (like the Brighid Devotional our Cauldron Cill put together) and picking apart ethics and theology (like HeartShadow's lovely Kindling Our Stars which I have both in eBook and in paperback).

So. Recommendations on any ebooks about Paganism/polytheism/similar things of that nature? I know it's a wide net. Toss stuff at me. :)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sisu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Pagan/Polytheist Ebooks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:04:07 pm »
Quote from: Sage;153641

So. Recommendations on any ebooks about Paganism/polytheism/similar things of that nature? I know it's a wide net. Toss stuff at me. :)

I'm so into e-books since it helps me keep my spirituality discreet. I just picked up "A World Full of Gods: An Inquiry into Polytheism" by John Michael Greer which is $5 at the moment on Amazon (http://amzn.to/1wWHK8p). I haven't had a chance to read much of it so I can't fully recommend it yet but I usually enjoy his books. I'd expect this one to have a Druidic influence as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

Aranel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:29:00 pm »
So totally out of idle curiosity and not because I'm starting a Pagan book review site or anything... I'm looking for ebooks. Lots and lots and lots of ebooks. Personally I have the most interest in things like devotionals (like the Brighid Devotional our Cauldron Cill put together) and picking apart ethics and theology (like HeartShadow's lovely Kindling Our Stars which I have both in eBook and in paperback).

Not a recommendation but you might find this handy. https://www.facebook.com/PaganeBooksforfree
No idea what any of the books are like but free stuff is free stuff.

Anyway, I've decided I really need to get started on reading the many, many pagan ebooks I've got. (Over a hundred last time I organised them into collections, most are free ones but a lot are ones that were going for 99p compared to 8 quid for the paperback. )

The only pagan ebook I've completely read on my kindle was Diary of a Witchcraft Shop by Trevor Jones.

Just started to read this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FAIFZAM/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_dJQZtb1HKWPMY
I'll do a review when I've finished it if anybody is interested in it.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:42:36 pm »
Quote from: Aranel;153647
Not a recommendation but you might find this handy. https://www.facebook.com/PaganeBooksforfree
No idea what any of the books are like but free stuff is free stuff.

I followed that for a while.  There were occasional offerings that I found interesting, but most were either witchcraft oriented or what I'd consider too fluffy. And there were a lot of books about gardening and various crafts.

Not what I was looking for, but someone else might find it useful.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Kyndyl

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 05:07:04 pm »

lulu can be a good source. I've found several devotionals on there.
I know there are ones for Baphomet, Erishkegal, Ran, Aegir, Frey and most of their books have an ebook option

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:34:29 am »

I recently read (and loved) The Deities are Many: A Polytheistic Theology. I had a few reservations about it, which I talked about in my review there, but it's very good.

I've just started reading 'Walking with the Gods' which is a sociological study into people's experiences of polytheism. I love it so far.

For books on ethics, I like the contrast of Brendan Myers' 'The Other Side of Virtue' and Emma Restall Orr's 'Living With Honour'. My approach to ethics is somewhere between the two, I think.

I'll have a think about devotionals. I don't use them very much, but I must have dipped into some.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Ameiya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 06:34:00 pm »

I found this torrent [Link removed due to copyright violations -RSS] the other day with 291 ebooks about Witchcraft and Paganism the other day. I'm still sorting through them so I can't guarantee the quality of any of them but there's so much you're bound to find something useful.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:47:55 am by RandallS »

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 06:50:33 pm »
Quote from: Ameiya;154485
I found this torrent the other day with 291 ebooks about Witchcraft and Paganism the other day. I'm still sorting through them so I can't guarantee the quality of any of them but there's so much you're bound to find something useful.

I see several familiar titles there. If the contents of those PDFs are what they claim, they're almost certainly violations of copyright. If they're not what they claim, well, I don't know if it's legally actionable as fraud, but it's deception.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 07:48:58 am »
Quote from: Ameiya;154485
I found this torrent [Link removed due to copyright violations -RSS] the other day with 291 ebooks about Witchcraft and Paganism the other day.

A Reminder:
Please do not link to obvious copyright violations. Thank you.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: