collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Crisis of Faith  (Read 2536 times)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Crisis of Faith
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:59:25 pm »
I've started this thread a ton of times, and I'm just going to bite the bullet and post.

I've seen people talk about how something in their lives had led them to have a crisis of faith in heathenry and I agreed with the people who said it's more about worldview, and not about gods or spiritual comfort, so there isn't much to lose faith in. But this last year totally threw me for a loop, and a 'heathen' worldview sort of fucked me over/didn't help at all.

Maybe I was doing it wrong? :P

I don't even know how I was expecting heathenry/gods/spirituality to help, to be honest. But I did, especially after all the work I had put in. And it's really hard now to get back into it and...believe in it. Which sucks, because I feel my sense of self was really fucked with this year, and I miss having heathenry as an interest, and I want to pick up where I left off. But it seems...useless.

And not because it's heathenry that's useless. It's just all of it -- religion, prayer, offerings, spiritual viewpoint-- just seem to be pointless pursuits now. I don't even know what direction to go in, and I feel like if I stopped being a philosophical, spiritual geek then I'm losing a huge part of my personality. But I'm also afraid of getting back into that part of myself, if that makes sense.

The only thing I can think of is that it's time for me to join a real-life community and stop going it alone (which hits home for more than just religion).

Anyway. Maybe this isn't SIG appropriate, and I know it's probably hard to work with when I'm being so vague, but... any discussion on this would be appreciated, regardless of you're heathen or not.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.GIN.michaellrichardson.com
Re: Crisis of Faith
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:17:16 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;153588
I've started this thread a ton of times, and I'm just going to bite the bullet and post.

I've seen people talk about how something in their lives had led them to have a crisis of faith in heathenry and I agreed with the people who said it's more about worldview, and not about gods or spiritual comfort, so there isn't much to lose faith in. But this last year totally threw me for a loop, and a 'heathen' worldview sort of fucked me over/didn't help at all.

I don't even know how I was expecting heathenry/gods/spirituality to help, to be honest. But I did, especially after all the work I had put in. And it's really hard now to get back into it and...believe in it. Which sucks, because I feel my sense of self was really fucked with this year, and I miss having heathenry as an interest, and I want to pick up where I left off. But it seems...useless.

And not because it's heathenry that's useless. It's just all of it -- religion, prayer, offerings, spiritual viewpoint-- just seem to be pointless pursuits now. I don't even know what direction to go in, and I feel like if I stopped being a philosophical, spiritual geek then I'm losing a huge part of my personality. But I'm also afraid of getting back into that part of myself, if that makes sense.

The only thing I can think of is that it's time for me to join a real-life community and stop going it alone (which hits home for more than just religion).

Anyway. Maybe this isn't SIG appropriate, and I know it's probably hard to work with when I'm being so vague, but... any discussion on this would be appreciated, regardless of you're heathen or not.

Make three lists, one what do you want (looking for). Second What has not worked for you. Third what has worked for you.  Sleep on them (go play have fun), revisit in two or  three days.
Light Your Candle, In Love and Service, Blessed Be.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:44:21 am »
Quote from: mlr52;153590
Make three lists, one what do you want (looking for). Second What has not worked for you. Third what has worked for you.  Sleep on them (go play have fun), revisit in two or  three days.

I'm in no way, shape, or form a heathen, but this is a seriously helpful tip, for any walk of life.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:05:46 am »

I've seen people talk about how something in their lives had led them to have a crisis of faith in heathenry and I agreed with the people who said it's more about worldview, and not about gods or spiritual comfort,

I never understood this dichotomy.  In my mind, any faith worth its salt necessitates a certain worldview. Conversely, a worldview without some active, devotional spiritual component seems like just an empty philosophy that one banters on the internet without any deeper meaning to it.  

In any case...

Do you have other Heathens in your area? A kindred?  A regional gathering?   Internet Heathenry is flawed at best.  Heathenry works best within the bonds of  community with other people who actually gather to honor the gods rather than simply discuss them on the internet.  I know my own kindred keeps me straight.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:14:44 am »
But this last year totally threw me for a loop, and a 'heathen' worldview sort of fucked me over/didn't help at all.

I think the answer depends on what type of help you had expected your spirituality to be, and in what way it failed to be so.

I've been struggling with some things in my life lately, and in the process of trying to work my way through them I discovered that I had a deep unwillingness to really trust my gods to take care of things. Instead, I was always struggling to make things turn out in the way I wanted or just suffering when they didn't, and that was what drove most of my worst decisions or behaviors in life. So I've been trying to remind myself over and over to just leave it in their hands, even if they should choose the exact opposite of what I want. It beats the hell out of worrying.

Not assuming this is relevant, just how I feel about a similar issue.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:50:36 am »
Quote from: Gilbride;153623
I think the answer depends on what type of help you had expected your spirituality to be, and in what way it failed to be so.

Thanks, everyone. mlr52,, your advice will definitely be useful in a lot of areas. :)

I decided it'd be better to go into more detail in my blog. I figured not everyone is interested in seeing my life drama vomited on the forum. The gist of it:

"But I guess I blamed heathenry, and it’s worldview, and myself for the whole mess: If I didn’t have a really deep-seated and outdated concept of spiritual, sacred caregiving then I wouldn’t have cared so much when someone tried to demean that value. Wrong. If I hadn’t had cared so much about right relationships then I would have been more of a bitch instead of a doormat. Wrong. If I didn’t care so much about outdated hospitality I wouldn’t have been so open and vulnerable. Wrong. It wasn’t entirely my fault; other people have a responsibility to not demean, bully, and mistreat people as well. But I guess I thought that if I was mindful enough then everything else would fall into place. But I can’t control things like that and I suppose Gods and religion can’t control other people like that for you, either. ;) But it really brings about a lot of questions of exactly how ‘luck’ works then, doesn't it?"
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 10:25:20 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;153629
Thanks, everyone. mlr52,, your advice will definitely be useful in a lot of areas. :)

I decided it'd be better to go into more detail in my blog. I figured not everyone is interested in seeing my life drama vomited on the forum. The gist of it:

"But I guess I blamed heathenry, and it’s worldview, and myself for the whole mess: If I didn’t have a really deep-seated and outdated concept of spiritual, sacred caregiving then I wouldn’t have cared so much when someone tried to demean that value. Wrong. If I hadn’t had cared so much about right relationships then I would have been more of a bitch instead of a doormat. Wrong. If I didn’t care so much about outdated hospitality I wouldn’t have been so open and vulnerable. Wrong. It wasn’t entirely my fault; other people have a responsibility to not demean, bully, and mistreat people as well. But I guess I thought that if I was mindful enough then everything else would fall into place. But I can’t control things like that and I suppose Gods and religion can’t control other people like that for you, either. ;) But it really brings about a lot of questions of exactly how ‘luck’ works then, doesn't it?"

These two versions of the Serenity Prayer helped me:  

God grant me the Serenity to accept the people I cannot change,
The courage to change the person I can,
And the wisdom to know it's me.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Then there is the fact I make plans and God laughs.
I am a Notary Public for The State of New York, - I do not charge for Notary Fee\'s, I Live in Brooklyn, N.Y.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:19 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;153633

I know that all too well. Not even in the religious aspect, either. >.<
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 06:23:43 pm »
Quote from: mlr52;153633
These two versions of the Serenity Prayer helped me:  

God grant me the Serenity to accept the people I cannot change,
The courage to change the person I can,
And the wisdom to know it's me.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

I've always liked this. Thanks for reminding me. :)

I think I just lost a part of myself this year. Some of the people I spoke to about this while it was happening said that I didn't sound like the 'Juniperberry' that they know. I think the hardest part is feeling like I let myself down; screw what the other people involved might think, you know?

So I guess moving forward for me means finding myself again. As far as heathenry goes, I've already talked about that somewhat wrt going back to the basics of self and my core beliefs, and rather than changing my worldview, seeing what things in a heathen worldview fit in with me.  

This topic wasn't really SIG appropriate, and I apologize for that.

mlr52

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 10:43:32 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;154040
I've always liked this. Thanks for reminding me. :)

I think I just lost a part of myself this year. Some of the people I spoke to about this while it was happening said that I didn't sound like the 'Juniperberry' that they know. I think the hardest part is feeling like I let myself down; screw what the other people involved might think, you know?

So I guess moving forward for me means finding myself again. As far as heathenry goes, I've already talked about that somewhat wrt going back to the basics of self and my core beliefs, and rather than changing my worldview, seeing what things in a heathen worldview fit in with me.  

This topic wasn't really SIG appropriate, and I apologize for that.

Lost part of yourself, or let go of what really was not part of you?  

I know I  pick up things that are not me, yet think they are.  An honest inventory about does this work or not, is this me or not leads to do I want to keep it or not.  I do not look at things as being good, bad, or evil, just do they work or not, do I keep them or not.

carillion

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 02:00:40 am »

This is sort of a round about response . And please, it's just your post got me thinking as I've been going through something similar but I'm not supposing it's exactly the same but please don't take offense and think I'm co-opting your situation.

I think people evolve physically, emotionally and cognitively all through their lives. I also think we crave what I call 'forward motion', we need to experience change and new ideas whether it be in our activities or our thoughts and feelings and frequently the lack of this motion can lead to frustration and depression. Of course as we evolve, things that are no longer useful must be left behind or at least, put aside until such times as we may consider them again.
When I was very young, my family moved to the edge of serious rain-forest. The stories my father had told me from his culture ceased to be comforting or whimsical. One thing First Nations people know is how hostile and environment can be. So I peopled my forest with the U.K. conception of fairies. This reduced the fear for me and brought me comfort.
When I was older and discovered ancient Greek and Roman myths, I looked to some of the deities that populated those myths.My role model Atalanta got me through a couple of horrible school 'sport days'.
And so it went. As I grew I found a number of my old beliefs or ideas kept repeating but in different settings. I sampled all kinds of religion and spirituality but there always came a point at which the gaps in whatever 'system' I was into became wider than the system's idea as a whole.
I too have come through (and in one way am still going through) a very bad patch. I almost got bitter: at people for sure and also at those things to which I had faithfully paid mind which didn't seem to be paying mind to me. Nothing softened my fall or even showed an alternate path.
So I just ...stopped. I lived as a child with no faith would - expectant and curious and sometimes fearful being without my usual 'touchstones'.
And I have found so far that those things which brought me joy, even for an instant, were still there. I didn't try to name them or possess them somehow or try to capture them with a net made of systems or beliefs. I just free-fall through my days ,taking comfort where I can and also, taking note.
Strangely, those things which help me get through are the very first things , are the ideas and feelings I've *always* had, just now I don't try and translate them into something else.
To tell you the truth, it's been a bit of a relief if I am being honest with myself. It's like starting again but this time without expectation which lays itself open to be baffled and rebuffed. It stuff just happens because we live in small regions of order but within a much larger chaos, then so be it. I do not subscribe to the 'Just world hypothesis so I'm pretty sure I can't move the wheels of the world. I know there will be bad stuff coming, but also,there will be good things, things which I no longer have to attribute to something else but can just enjoy them.
I went down to the beach this evening. The sea, the mountains, the cerulean sky and the warm golden sand just...were. And the magic quality was there as well. No moral or fable needed as nothing could be greater than what it inherently was. And certainly, it didn't need 'meaning' or at least, whatever meaning I may give it was irrelevant. It may not bring relief, but it brought respite.
This is a bit personal but so was your post. I can't say to anyone one 'it will be all right' or 'just do this and it will all be like it was' because it would be a lie for nobody knows what will be and what is in your heart and mind. I can only say that for myself that nothing I *needed* ever went away, I was just looking for it in the wrong places or couldn't distinguish between need and want. Now I don't look...at all. But it's all still there, whatever it is . I don't think I'll bother with names anymore. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to feel about things, only problems of orthodoxy. So I've dropped any orthodoxy and orthopraxy and simply take what I see, feel, experience as it is, not as how I've been told or think it 'translates'. Maybe (probably) it has nothing to do with me, but I'll use what I can in a way that helps *me*. And damned the parameters and mythos.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 11:28:30 pm »
Quote from: carillion;154060
This is sort of a round about response . And please, it's just your post got me thinking as I've been going through something similar but I'm not supposing it's exactly the same but please don't take offense and think I'm co-opting your situation.

Not at all! Thanks for replying. :)

I think people evolve physically, emotionally and cognitively all through their lives. I also think we crave what I call 'forward motion', we need to experience change and new ideas whether it be in our activities or our thoughts and feelings and frequently the lack of this motion can lead to frustration and depression. Of course as we evolve, things that are no longer useful must be left behind or at least, put aside until such times as we may consider them again.

I'd agree with this. I guess maybe I feel like there might be a core self that evolves, and when we lose touch with that self then we run into problems. Maybe that's where the lack of forward motion comes in at.

When I was very young, my family moved to the edge of serious rain-forest. The stories my father had told me from his culture ceased to be comforting or whimsical. One thing First Nations people know is how hostile and environment can be. So I peopled my forest with the U.K. conception of fairies. This reduced the fear for me and brought me comfort.

Opposite here. Moved to the desert from a northern climate. I struggled with making it work in 200...7?, and that's strangely where my heathenry came into play.

When I was older and discovered ancient Greek and Roman myths, I looked to some of the deities that populated those myths.My role model Atalanta got me through a couple of horrible school 'sport days'.
And so it went. As I grew I found a number of my old beliefs or ideas kept repeating but in different settings. I sampled all kinds of religion and spirituality but there always came a point at which the gaps in whatever 'system' I was into became wider than the system's idea as a whole.

Yes! That really describes what I've been feeling.

I too have come through (and in one way am still going through) a very bad patch. I almost got bitter: at people for sure and also at those things to which I had faithfully paid mind which didn't seem to be paying mind to me. Nothing softened my fall or even showed an alternate path.
So I just ...stopped. I lived as a child with no faith would - expectant and curious and sometimes fearful being without my usual 'touchstones'.

I definitely feel you about nothing softening your fall. Again, I feel a bit opposite. The rough patch I went through kind of showed me the way I had gone about things entirely wrong. Rather than making me bitter it opened me up to a lot of great things I had taken for granted or ignored in my life. It's like realizing the time before the rough patch was the actual rough patch.

And that's a big reason why I'm having trouble with heathenry, I guess. I associate all of my time with it as being part of that time in my life. It's too...dark now. It's not a super positive religion, if you know what I mean.

And I have found so far that those things which brought me joy, even for an instant, were still there. I didn't try to name them or possess them somehow or try to capture them with a net made of systems or beliefs. I just free-fall through my days ,taking comfort where I can and also, taking note.
Strangely, those things which help me get through are the very first things , are the ideas and feelings I've *always* had, just now I don't try and translate them into something else.

Again, you're almost me. I'm also at a point where I'm tired of categorizing and analyzing everything I experience and just falling back on those things that feel true to me.

To tell you the truth, it's been a bit of a relief if I am being honest with myself. It's like starting again but this time without expectation which lays itself open to be baffled and rebuffed. It stuff just happens because we live in small regions of order but within a much larger chaos, then so be it. I do not subscribe to the 'Just world hypothesis so I'm pretty sure I can't move the wheels of the world. I know there will be bad stuff coming, but also,there will be good things, things which I no longer have to attribute to something else but can just enjoy them.

This is a bit personal but so was your post. I can't say to anyone one 'it will be all right' or 'just do this and it will all be like it was' because it would be a lie for nobody knows what will be and what is in your heart and mind. I can only say that for myself that nothing I *needed* ever went away, I was just looking for it in the wrong places or couldn't distinguish between need and want. Now I don't look...at all. But it's all still there, whatever it is . I don't think I'll bother with names anymore. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to feel about things, only problems of orthodoxy. So I've dropped any orthodoxy and orthopraxy and simply take what I see, feel, experience as it is, not as how I've been told or think it 'translates'. Maybe (probably) it has nothing to do with me, but I'll use what I can in a way that helps *me*. And damned the parameters and mythos.

I agree with a lot of this, especially about not having to name things, and damned the mythos. But it also feels, for me, a little defeatist. I don't know why.

Anyway, thank you again for replying. You've given me a lot to think about, and I hope to share more ideas with you in the future. :)

Tags: