Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Starting a Hellenic group or Thiasos  (Read 1459 times)

Ouroboros

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Starting a Hellenic group or Thiasos
« on: July 20, 2014, 02:44:17 am »
I'm a Hellenic Polytheist that lives in a more rural area of Southern California, most typically called the Inland Empire - which includes a large area encompassing both San Bernardino County and Riverside County, but in my case, Fontana. Though I'm familiar with a thiasos that exists in Los Angeles proper, and I'm friends with several of its members, it is over an hour away from me - impractical for regular meetings or ritual with my situation and budget.

I'm friends with Pagans and/or Polytheists of various different traditions, both online and offline, and I've recently taken to joining a more formal Pagan Meetup group in my area. I'm always interested in socialization and discussion with people of different beliefs, but I feel drawn to creating a ritual group with other Hellenists. I would really like to hold Noumenia observances with a small group, and even more specific festivals in accordance with the direction of the group. It may also be valuable to have affiliation with a particular Hellenic organization, but may or may not be necessary.

In my personal experience, practitioners of alternative spirituality in my area are usually oriented towards Wicca, New Age, or general Paganism. Those that are oriented towards Reconstructionism are usually Heathens, followed by the occasional Celtic Recon, but I've yet to meet another practitioner of Hellenismos, or even something resembling Hellenic Paganism. I would like to get the attention of other Hellenists, or those who might be interested in pursuing a Hellenic path, but I'm unsure how I should proceed.

I've looked through some of the Hellenismos Facebook groups for local Polytheists, but the closest ones I've come into contact with are either from Los Angeles or Las Vegas, with nothing in-between. I know that not every Hellenist is a member of an online group or forum on the subject, and though I know that physical groups can be a good option, many polytheists don't attend Neopagan events.

Are there any tips or resources you could give me, whether through online or offline, to help with the process of gathering members?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Starting a Hellenic group or Thiasos
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:45:42 am »
Quote from: Ouroboros;153391
Are there any tips or resources you could give me, whether through online or offline, to help with the process of gathering members?

The problem usually is a very low density of Hellenic Polytheists in any one area -- that makes it hard to have enough people for a group. This may not be as big a problem in the Inland Empire area given that a huge number of people live there. Your first step would be to somehow find others who follow the Hellenic Gods. Not being familiar with the Pagan community in the area, I can't give much specific advice beyond contact other Pagans and see if they know of any Hellenics in the area.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Ouroboros

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 05:22:58 am »
Quote from: RandallS;153402
Your first step would be to somehow find others who follow the Hellenic Gods. Not being familiar with the Pagan community in the area, I can't give much specific advice beyond contact other Pagans and see if they know of any Hellenics in the area.

The organizer of the Pagan meetup group I joined has been discussing with me the idea of hosting path discussion meetings, and eventually ritual demonstrations. I'm thinking that providing information first might be a good way to gather interest, but a lot of people I've talked to have mentioned that ritual is an easier way to put a spiritual path into its proper context. I suppose I really just have to give it a try, see what happens, and be patient.

Ouroboros

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 09:06:35 pm »
Quote from: Ouroboros;153506
The organizer of the Pagan meetup group I joined has been discussing with me the idea of hosting path discussion meetings, and eventually ritual demonstrations. I'm thinking that providing information first might be a good way to gather interest, but a lot of people I've talked to have mentioned that ritual is an easier way to put a spiritual path into its proper context. I suppose I really just have to give it a try, see what happens, and be patient.

UPDATE:

Over the past few months, I've become involved with the CUUPS chapter in my region (Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans), and the Pagan interfaith I've been able to have their has been quite beneficial. I'm one of a handful of Reconstructionist Polytheists there, and my presence there has been a welcomed alternative, despite the dominant presence of Eclectic Pagans in the group. The group leaders invited me to host a Hellenic festival, and it had a very large attendance - with a lot of people there, both new and experienced, gaining a much more in-depth understanding of not only Hellenismos, but reconstructionism in general (with which many there were quite unfamiliar). They have invited me to host another festival sometime next year, and I have showed my support for their group, despite my lack of connection to their more commonly "generic" rituals that they host.

As well, I have managed to gather two other people interested in forming a Hellenic thiasos - making three including myself, and we have already hosted our first festival together... with a second one planned for mid-november. I hope to get to about 5 or 6 people by sometime next year, and I think that will be a solid group. As a side note, one of the group members in my thiasos has a Heathen boyfriend, and I pointed him in the direction of a kindred with some of my closest friends - which I've been able to help them start around the same time. I'm happy to report that there has been not only a lot of progress in making my dreams a success, but a lot of wonderful benefits that have come out of it... including new friendships.

I look forward to the future
- Khairete
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 09:07:43 pm by Ouroboros »

Tags: