collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Left A Asatru Group  (Read 2783 times)

Demeter Hedgewitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Left A Asatru Group
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:28:21 pm »
I love to talk to all sorts of people, but Heathens really make me leave whatever group their apart of. I'm not using this threat to attack Heathens but some of them are so high about how to properly do things that it makes me sick. We really don't know how the Heathens practiced, but some Heathens believe that they do know how they practice. I think I'll stay as far away from them as possible.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: Left A Asatru Group
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 12:23:37 am »
Quote from: Demeter Hedgewitch;153370
I love to talk to all sorts of people, but Heathens really make me leave whatever group their apart of. I'm not using this threat to attack Heathens but some of them are so high about how to properly do things that it makes me sick. We really don't know how the Heathens practiced, but some Heathens believe that they do know how they practice. I think I'll stay as far away from them as possible.

I'm curious what you're hoping to get out of posting this in the A&H sig. Are you looking for tips for interacting with heathens? Wondering if what the heathens you've met IRL told you is true?

It's definitely a known bug that some heathens and Asatruar get hung up on specific points of reconstruction, but not usually all of them. What points do you find people getting caught up on?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:23:21 pm »

Two things, here:  

1) From surviving literary accounts and archaeological data we have a general idea what was done.  Enough to get the spirit of the religion, at least. We obviously have to adapt to the modern world, and fill in gaps of information.  The crux of the debate seems to be what fits in with the spirit of that old time religion, and what doesn't.  The more reconstructionist a Heathen gets, the less he/she fills comfortable with borrowing practices from other cultures, or from ceremonial magick and general neopaganism.  

2)  Heathens as a group tend to be blunt, yes.  That is not a fault in my eyes.  That being said, there are some Heathen groups or individuals who are infamous for lambasting anyone they find allegedly fluffy.  If you find yourself in such a group, my advice would be to leave that group and find other groups who, while blunt, are still civil (yes, we do exist).

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 03:40:59 pm »

Yeah.

I was looking into Unity Church (as part of my Christopagan curiosities) and came across a religious forum where people were just insane about how Unity isn't the spirituality that God intended and that if they'd just stay true to the letter of the bible they'd see a much better and deeper religion. Or, Unity can say whatever it wants, but it doesn't make it authentic Christianity.  

Switch a few words and it could be a recon vs modern conversation.

Not that there's anything wrong with recons or heathens. Just that some (I know from experience ;D ) can be a little pushy and judgmental. But I've also always maintained that as long as you can effectively argue your case for practice/belief, then recons will give you a chance. So, really, it seems like respect and acceptance in the recon community comes with demonstrating intelligent and informed religious choices, even when those choices seem to go against the commonly accepted opinion.

Much like TC, or most groups, actually. And, of course, just like all places...some recons are just looking to argue to puff themselves up and aren't interested in discussion at all.  

So tl;dr: people, man. What are you going to do?
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

hraefngar

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: eclectic pagan
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 05:21:11 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;153427

So tl;dr: people, man.

I've noticed that, as far as internet Heathenry goes, a lot of the titanic battles are waged by a comparatively small group of cliques on both sides of recon vs modern divide.  The individuals leading the charge from both sides tend to have healthy egos and a conspicuous desire for status within their respective communities.   And then of course one wonders why they have so much free time to engage in these lively debates in the first place.  :eek:

Outside of internet Heathenry, I have been attending heathen festivals for a while.  Face to face interactions are much more warm and inviting.  I have never had anyone grill me on where I stand on the various fault lines.  People are more likely to pass me a horn of mead than to argue with me.  So, to the OP, perhaps you would like to attend a Heathen gathering and talk with people face to face.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 07:33:16 pm »

Was this a group of people you know in real life or like a FB group?
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 06:28:11 pm »

So... two things, I guess.

Number one, yes, we DO actually have a fair picture of what and how things were done in historical heathenry.

Number two, why would you come in here to the SIG group specifically FOR heathens, and post what could be construed as inflammatory content, it not to pick a fight? Or were you hoping for some insight, or advice?

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:41:34 am »

If your not a Heathen and your attending a Heathen group you are not going to be 100% spot on. Now if you are leaving general pagan groups due to Heathen members I can see.  I would stay to not join any group that makes you feel bad about your practice.

Tags: