Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Non-Wiccan books on Witchcraft?  (Read 4987 times)

endlessGalaxy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Non-Wiccan books on Witchcraft?
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:39:38 pm »
I may be grasping at straws here, because I've heard that the majority of books on witchcraft tend to be centred around Wicca. A lot of my beliefs do align with Wicca, but I'd actually like to read something that's not so Wiccan-y.  For example, less to do with Gods, the Wiccan Rede, the Threefold Rule, etc.  My local library had a grand total of TWO books on any kind of Paganism, Wicca included!  There were a few when I stopped by an actual bookstore today, but didn't have time to stop and examine them.  I'm new to all this (and a hopeless book addict, I'm at risk for buying books I may not need), so I'm wondering if anyone had any recommendations?  :)

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Wiccan books on Witchcraft?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 11:53:57 pm »
Quote from: endlessGalaxy;153366
I may be grasping at straws here, because I've heard that the majority of books on witchcraft tend to be centred around Wicca. A lot of my beliefs do align with Wicca, but I'd actually like to read something that's not so Wiccan-y.  For example, less to do with Gods, the Wiccan Rede, the Threefold Rule, etc.  My local library had a grand total of TWO books on any kind of Paganism, Wicca included!  There were a few when I stopped by an actual bookstore today, but didn't have time to stop and examine them.  I'm new to all this (and a hopeless book addict, I'm at risk for buying books I may not need), so I'm wondering if anyone had any recommendations?  :)

I did a Google search for non Wiccan books and found a book list. http://www.freewebs.com/nonwiccanwitch/nonwiccanreadinglist.htm
I haven't had the chance to read any of them because I'm in the middle of Our Troth vol 1, it is on heathenism and is very interesting if you have any interest on Northern European heritage/culture. I also need to save my money for my college books and stuff.

I will shop on amazon and put prospective books in the cart before I research the author. I almost bought a book by a pedophile until I read some articles on him. Youtube book reviews are a big help as well.

I looked up Our Troth and heathenism in general before finally deciding to order it. My husband even agreed that we needed that book for our own heritage even if I decide not to practice heathenism. He is not even pagan.

KonJelen

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:04:52 am »

I'm currently working through the book "Energy Essentials for Witches and Spellcasters" by Mya Om, which has been recommended several times on different threads here as being really good. I also like it so far.

You might also want to look through this thread (Book Reviews on Traditional Witchcraft, Hoodoo, and Folk Magic).

And maybe also this one (ways to do spells; it has some book recs and general advice).

endlessGalaxy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 10:05:25 pm »
Quote from: Freesia;153373
I did a Google search for non Wiccan books and found a book list. http://www.freewebs.com/nonwiccanwitch/nonwiccanreadinglist.htm
I haven't had the chance to read any of them because I'm in the middle of Our Troth vol 1, it is on heathenism and is very interesting if you have any interest on Northern European heritage/culture. I also need to save my money for my college books and stuff.

I will shop on amazon and put prospective books in the cart before I research the author. I almost bought a book by a pedophile until I read some articles on him. Youtube book reviews are a big help as well.

I looked up Our Troth and heathenism in general before finally deciding to order it. My husband even agreed that we needed that book for our own heritage even if I decide not to practice heathenism. He is not even pagan.

Wow, that is an incredibly comprehensive list!  Thanks! Now, to pick through that list and track them down.

Quote from: KonJelen;153398
I'm currently working through the book "Energy Essentials for Witches and Spellcasters" by Mya Om, which has been recommended several times on different threads here as being really good. I also like it so far.

You might also want to look through this thread (Book Reviews on Traditional Witchcraft, Hoodoo, and Folk Magic).

And maybe also this one (ways to do spells; it has some book recs and general advice).

Thanks a million :) reading up on those books as we speak!

PrincessAstrid

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 12:21:57 am »
I haven't had the chance to read any of them...

I've read "the Urban Primitive" and it was a pretty decent read. It's been quite a few years since I've read it, as it was an old roommate's book, but I remember not throwing it against a wall in rage. So that's some sort of sign. It had a lot of information, mostly for adapting worship and rituals to be able to happen naturally and freely in a more urban environment, which doesn't really tend to scream "nature!" and "magic-y!" to most people.

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:20:18 am »
Quote from: PrincessAstrid;153498
I've read "the Urban Primitive" and it was a pretty decent read. It's been quite a few years since I've read it, as it was an old roommate's book, but I remember not throwing it against a wall in rage. So that's some sort of sign. It had a lot of information, mostly for adapting worship and rituals to be able to happen naturally and freely in a more urban environment, which doesn't really tend to scream "nature!" and "magic-y!" to most people.

I've looked up reviews on that one. My amazon wishlist is filled with books on heathenism right now. I read Ellen Dugan's "Natural Witchery" as a place to kick start my pagan path. I like it, but I am not running out and buying all her books at once. Trying to keep all the rehashed Wiccan biased Witchcraft 101 books at bay.

Izzie414

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 10:14:01 am »

There's Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson (definitely not Wiccan) and Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig. The latter is ceremonial magick, but there are a lot of things that can be applied to witchcraft.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 10:26:43 am »

It has no practice things in it but I recommend Apocalyptic Witchcraft to anyone who practices non-Wiccan craft.

endlessGalaxy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 01:06:55 pm »
Quote from: PrincessAstrid;153498

That one stood out to me on the list - I really like the idea since I live in a pretty big city and am moving all around to different houses and apartments with all kinds of different people!  I like books that are geared towards young people as well, I always feel like most people who practice are in their middle age (I know that's not true at all, I just haven't met many people my age in person who do witchcraft).  I've always wanted to pick up those "1000 Spells" books, but they are so intimidating (and expensive)!

Medea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 04:34:25 pm »

I also recommend Paul Huson Mastering Witchcraft along with Kathryn Paulsen Magic and Witchcraft , Jacki smith Coventry Magic,Ly De Angles Witchcraft Theory and Practice ,Gemma Gary Traditional Witchcraft ,even Ober Zell Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard any thing by Jason Miller and  the Maya Om book was very good too.
 Your library should be able to transfer titles in from other branches and there are so many books available online these days shouldnt be too hard for you to find something that feels right to you.

lethallethe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 04:10:08 pm »
I may be grasping at straws here, because I've heard that the majority of books on witchcraft tend to be centred around Wicca. A lot of my beliefs do align with Wicca, but I'd actually like to read something that's not so Wiccan-y.

Hello endlessGalaxy,

for a start I would recommend:

Lee Morgan A Deed Without a Name: Unearthing the Legacy of Traditional Witchcraft

and for further inspiration:

Peter Grey Apocalyptic Witchcraft (http://scarletimprint.com/books/apocalyptic-witchcraft/)

kind regards,
lethe
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:10:59 pm by lethallethe »

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 11:14:39 am »
I did a Google search for non Wiccan books and found a book list. http://www.freewebs.com/nonwiccanwitch/nonwiccanreadinglist.htm.

Thank you for linking that. I've added a few books from that site to my wishlist.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 08:53:42 pm »
Quote from: lethallethe;157161
Hello endlessGalaxy,

for a start I would recommend:

Lee Morgan A Deed Without a Name: Unearthing the Legacy of Traditional Witchcraft

and for further inspiration:

Peter Grey Apocalyptic Witchcraft (http://scarletimprint.com/books/apocalyptic-witchcraft/)

kind regards,
lethe

I just received Liber Nox A Traditional Witch's Gramarye by Michael Howard and it seems to be a pretty good starter book for those looking non Wiccan

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 09:12:02 pm »
Quote from: KonJelen;153398

I got this book and "A Witch Alone" by Marian Green. So far, I would highly recommend Om's book to anyone interested in spells and rituals, it has some awesome information. Green's book is a more daunting read but I'm quite liking that too. I also have "True Magick" by Amber K which has more Wiccan leanings but is a very good beginner's book in my opinion. The langauge is easy to understand and the concepts seem sound for the most part.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Tags: