collapse

Author Topic: Children and spirituality/magic  (Read 4326 times)

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Children and spirituality/magic
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:57:20 pm »
I have a question for everybody. At what age have you started teaching your kids about magic and your spiritual path, if you do it at all? I know that there is no age that's perfect - that it will change from child to child - but how young is too young? I'd like some opinions, because I'm torn about beginning to teach my own children. (At least the 3 yr old and 5 yr old.........I think  6 months and 20 months both fall under the too young
category :D: )
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

ZombyFrogg

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Children and spirituality/magic
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:12:34 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;15060
I have a question for everybody. At what age have you started teaching your kids about magic and your spiritual path, if you do it at all? I know that there is no age that's perfect - that it will change from child to child - but how young is too young? I'd like some opinions, because I'm torn about beginning to teach my own children. (At least the 3 yr old and 5 yr old.........I think  6 months and 20 months both fall under the too young

I think it partially depends on the matureity of the child and what you want to teach them. My kids are 12, 10, 5, & 2. I want to teach the older two a little bit of what I am learning but they both have ADHD and have behavior issues. I am trying to work on that because this is a serious subject and I want them to be able to concentrate. Right now I if I am doing something concerning the craft (like the other day I was experemnting with making incense) I try to explain what and why I am doing it. My alter is in plain view and hve explained in simplest form what it is for. They have seen my BoS, and my (small) crystal stone collection. Again I explain things as simply as I can as far as what the items are for. I am looking for simple rituals that I might be able to include them in, and maybe books they can read to learn along with me. Sorry I got kind of long winded.

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:18:34 pm »
Quote from: ZombyFrogg;15066
I think it partially depends on the matureity of the child and what you want to teach them. My kids are 12, 10, 5, & 2. I want to teach the older two a little bit of what I am learning but they both have ADHD and have behavior issues. I am trying to work on that because this is a serious subject and I want them to be able to concentrate. Right now I if I am doing something concerning the craft (like the other day I was experemnting with making incense) I try to explain what and why I am doing it. My alter is in plain view and hve explained in simplest form what it is for. They have seen my BoS, and my (small) crystal stone collection. Again I explain things as simply as I can as far as what the items are for. I am looking for simple rituals that I might be able to include them in, and maybe books they can read to learn along with me. Sorry I got kind of long winded.

So the 5 and 10 year olds.......He/she understands that you practice magic? Not the card trick kind.....but the real stuff? They don't talk about it at school? Their friends don't ask questions? I can't leave my altar out, so it's not in front of my kids' faces all of the time, and I don't know whether to bring it up now or not.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

ZombyFrogg

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 01:33:09 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;15069
So the 5 and 10 year olds.......He/she understands that you practice magic? Not the card trick kind.....but the real stuff? They don't talk about it at school? Their friends don't ask questions? I can't leave my altar out, so it's not in front of my kids' faces all of the time, and I don't know whether to bring it up now or not.

My 5 year old doesn't really pay much attention. he knows not to touch my altar - which is in my bedroom - unless told to. He likes to bring me flowers from the yard and I have him but them on it. Yes, my older boys (the oldest 3 are boys, 2yr old is a girl) know I do magic. They are currently being homeschooled, they have a couple of friends in the nieghborhood, one asked me about one day because I was picking/harvesting some flowers from the bushes in our yard and left an offereing. He was playing with my son and asked what I was doing. I that I am Wiccan and that I believe that if I take something from a plant that I should give something back. He just said "Oh. That's cool"
It is really your decsion. If you are doing something that they can see like harvesting a plant and you leave an offereing just say what I said. If you do kitchen magic and are making a meal tell them that you are putting love in the food when you cook it so they can have some extra love from you when they eat it. Just start with small stuff like that and see how it goes.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 01:57:46 pm »
A

Since heathenry is a folkway rather than a more occultic tradition, its fairly simple teaching them about it. We talk a lot about things that are rather obvious and necessary anyway: responsible living for yourself, family, community and descendants; ancestors and landwights and leaving them gifts, etc.

My son will say that his friends say thunder is god bowling and I tell him it's Thor.

They hear bumps in the night and I tell them its the housewight and, that more than that, our ancestors watch over us.

We go camping and offer gifts to the landwights, during storms we put out gifts.

My daughter was almost seriously hurt one day but wound up safe. We baked cookies and brewed coffee and gave them to Frigga and our ancestors for their protection.

There isn't anything to teach, its just living. I don't say tell them its heathen, I don't make it a lesson. Its just traditions and a worldview they'll grow up immersed I . Every family has one and our's is nothing unusual or noteworthy to them to the point that they feel awkward or make a scene.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

celestialwolf

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://celestialmountains.com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:23:36 pm »
At what age have you started teaching your kids about magic and your spiritual path, if you do it at all?

I haven't. I'm waiting till he's older. My wife and both sides of our families are Christian and wanted our son to be brought up in the church. He was baptised when he was little and goes to church with my wife every Sunday. He loves it.

I know some people will gasp at that but most people are brought up in one religion or another. When we get older, we either choose to walk that same path or find a path that  fits us better. He's asked previously why I don't I go to church. I tend to meet with my writer's group on Sunday mornings, so telling him I go to that works for him.

If he ever gets to the point of wanting to understand my religious views/path, I'll have no issue talking to him about it. But until then, my path is my own and I don't practice in front of him or my wife.

Vella Malachite

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 02:38:02 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;15078

That's interesting - I suppose I hear a lot of people talking about letting them make the choice and such things, so I rarely hear someone advocating total immersion.  I don't think it's a bad thing at all, and I don't mean to imply that.

I have no children, but in other things with my cousins, I tend to go by the "if they ask, be honest" rule.  Tell them what they can understand (to the best of your knowledge; don't dumb it down if they don't need it dumbed down).  I guess I'm a little different, though, because they're not my children to teach, and I don't get to decide about their religious education, so I do tend to gloss over questions.

So, in terms of age, summarising my vague point, there is a 'too young' as in, too young to understand completely about the purpose behind things and the deeper concepts, but at almost every stage (once they start talking and taking an interest) that they can't be involved a little and start to have basic questions answered.
The human brain is an amazing thing: it works twenty-four hours a day, every day from before we are born - except when we take exams.
If everything\'s under control, you\'re going too slowly.

Mariah Windrider

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 07:36:22 pm »
Quote from: hufflee;15069

Well, since in the trad I was practicing in at the time included the children as well as the adults (with a few closed to kids rituals from time to time) it wasn't a matter of telling them anything or specifically teaching them beyond what we were all learning together.  The Craft and Magic were simply who we were and what we did.  Everything is Magic, Goddess IS, that's that.

There was a bit of problem with the school when my son calmly mentioned that I was a Witch, but when the school called, I just told them it was our religion and there was no more problem about it.  We did have the advantage of being in an area with a large number of different cultures all jammed together, no real major majorities.  

His father and step mother definitely had problems, but they would have had problems if I had raised him Lutheran (his dad grew up there) or Catholic.  They just made a lot of noise and amused both of us.  Sound and fury signifying nothing.

Hope this helps.  Blessed be!
[FONT=
Garamond][/FONT]Mariah Windrider

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 01:06:37 pm »
Quote from: Mariah Windrider;18479
Well, since in the trad I was practicing in at the time included the children as well as the adults (with a few closed to kids rituals from time to time) it wasn't a matter of telling them anything or specifically teaching them beyond what we were all learning together.  The Craft and Magic were simply who we were and what we did.  Everything is Magic, Goddess IS, that's that.

There was a bit of problem with the school when my son calmly mentioned that I was a Witch, but when the school called, I just told them it was our religion and there was no more problem about it.  We did have the advantage of being in an area with a large number of different cultures all jammed together, no real major majorities.  

His father and step mother definitely had problems, but they would have had problems if I had raised him Lutheran (his dad grew up there) or Catholic.  They just made a lot of noise and amused both of us.  Sound and fury signifying nothing.

Hope this helps.  Blessed be!

My kids are really split in age. I have a 20 y/o daughter, 18 y/o son, 6y/o son and 4y/o daughter.
My older two are atheist and agnostic respectively.The atheist is pretty set in that and I respect her decision. The agnostic lad, we discuss a lot of stuff, he just does not get how it applies to life. So while I discuss it with him when he wants I leave him to find his own way. When they were young I was getting as far away from religion and spirituality as I could and my wife is pretty nuetral on it all.

THe younger two. I think the 4 y/o is two young to really teach much of anything. That said I have made up bedtime stories about the fae, wights etc that are happy and good. She loves them and falls asleep with a big smile.
The 6 year old. I don't think I have ever met a person with such an inate spiritual sense as he has. I learn much more from him than I could ever teach him I think. That said I don't include him in any ritual stuff or anything. I treasure his pure innocence and his open mind. But when we are out by the river or hiking we do talk - in an age appropriate way - about the magic of nature, we collect feathers and certain rocks and so on. He also Hails Odin on Wednesdays (and insists we eat corndogs in his honour) and Thor on Thursday ( with Dr. Pepper). This is because I wanted him to know that Thor and Odin are not simply Marvel comic characters when the movie came out.

Now the younger two.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

corvid04

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 01:29:27 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;15078

There isn't anything to teach, its just living. I don't say tell them its heathen, I don't make it a lesson. Its just traditions and a worldview they'll grow up immersed I . Every family has one and our's is nothing unusual or noteworthy to them to the point that they feel awkward or make a scene.

I very much agree. I was born and raised in Texas, so was inundated with southern beliefs as a child. I resented anyone who tried to "teach" me how they're way was right, but the principles that i saw as being good and right i still carry with me today.

I try to live my life by example for my daughter and avoid using the "too young to understand" mentality (with in reason).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:32:08 pm by corvid04 »

Onyx Raven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:29:30 pm »

I've decided that, with my children, i'll treat information on religion the same as I will information about where babies come from. When they ask me, I'll tell them. I don't want them to be pressured to follow any particular path, even my own. I much prefer that they each find their own way as they grow. I'll help them learn about anything they want to know, whenever they decide they want to learn it.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children.

Tags: