Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Healing others?  (Read 2330 times)

endlessGalaxy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Healing others?
« on: July 19, 2014, 12:08:51 am »
Hi there, while I'm not new to paganism per se, I've never performed many spells and have for the most part refrained from practising, for various reasons.  I've decided to make it part of my life from here on out, practicing mostly Traditional Witchcraft (I've dabbled in Wicca before, and I take a lot from it, but I reject most forms of organized religion).  One of the first ones I'm thinking about performing is some kind of healing spell...I'm wondering if it is advisable to do it on someone else without their knowledge, and if you can do it on someone you haven't actually met?  

I don't adhere to the Wiccan rede or threefold rule.  I do wish to take some sort of action in this particular situation.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice/spells for a newbie like me? :)

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Healing others?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:16:24 am »
Quote from: endlessGalaxy;153289
One of the first ones I'm thinking about performing is some kind of healing spell...I'm wondering if it is advisable to do it on someone else without their knowledge, and if you can do it on someone you haven't actually met?  

Can you do it? Depends on your beliefs about magic and your own spellcasting ability, I suppose. Should you? I really think that's a moral line that is not okay crossing. Performing magic on someone is the same as any other action, and doing things to other people without their consent is not okay. Regardless of intent, you don't know what your energy could do to the other person, nor would you have the full picture on whatever situation put them in need for healing to begin with. Doing magic without consent (like doing anything without consent) is also effectively stating that you know better for another person than they themselves do. I consider that incredibly invasive and squicky. Just ask - and if you can't or don't want to ask, then reconsider your desire to perform magic on an unwilling person to begin with.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 02:28:41 am »
Quote from: endlessGalaxy;153289
One of the first ones I'm thinking about performing is some kind of healing spell...I'm wondering if it is advisable to do it on someone else without their knowledge, and if you can do it on someone you haven't actually met?

It is highly inadvisable to do healing magic on someone without their knowledge and consent. For a start, doing anything to anyone without consent is a violation of their autonomy and right to choose what happens to them. Perhaps more importantly, though, you may have a reverse effect -  sometimes a very bad one. People have done healing on me without my consent, usually without knowing the full details of my condition. I keep my energy in a very careful balance because of the  complex nature of my condition and how many different parts of me are so easy to screw up. And then some well-meaning person comes along and takes one look at me and thinks they can do a healing spell or healing work of some kind. And they mess up my balance and make my health worse.

It's just like someone grabbing me and doing physiotherapy on me without knowing the details of my condition. The result would be that I could dislocate many joints all over my body. If they then said "Oh but I'm an expert and I was only trying to help," it wouldn't help. I've had reiki practitioners and all sorts tell me just that, while they run off to mess up the next person and I'm left picking up the pieces of my fragile health.

Get consent for healing magic. Always, always get consent.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

endlessGalaxy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 12:44:50 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;153299
It is highly inadvisable to do healing magic on someone without their knowledge and consent. For a start, doing anything to anyone without consent is a violation of their autonomy and right to choose what happens to them. Perhaps more importantly, though, you may have a reverse effect -  sometimes a very bad one. People have done healing on me without my consent, usually without knowing the full details of my condition. I keep my energy in a very careful balance because of the  complex nature of my condition and how many different parts of me are so easy to screw up. And then some well-meaning person comes along and takes one look at me and thinks they can do a healing spell or healing work of some kind. And they mess up my balance and make my health worse.

It's just like someone grabbing me and doing physiotherapy on me without knowing the details of my condition. The result would be that I could dislocate many joints all over my body. If they then said "Oh but I'm an expert and I was only trying to help," it wouldn't help. I've had reiki practitioners and all sorts tell me just that, while they run off to mess up the next person and I'm left picking up the pieces of my fragile health.

Both of your answers make a lot of sense.  Though I guess I should have been more specific - the type of healing I'm wishing for this person is emotional healing, not healing of any physical condition.  

I'll definitely tread carefully when it comes to any type of healing however!

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 01:12:17 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;153299

I'm probably in the minority here mind you, and may get put through the ringer here for my view on this but...

one of the things that people that practice push a lot (in general anyway) is how magick is like prayer. That said, personally, I have no problem doing magick for someone I'm CLOSE with after getting permission to pray for them. Many people would disagree with this, but that's my view.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

Ai

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 01:20:48 pm »
Quote from: endlessGalaxy;153317
Both of your answers make a lot of sense.  Though I guess I should have been more specific - the type of healing I'm wishing for this person is emotional healing, not healing of any physical condition.  

I'm certainly not an expert in any respect, but in the case of emotional healing, I would consider casting spells or magic to be as invasive as if it were for physical use. However, sending along generally positive vibes, meditating on their well being, and letting them know you're there for them and lending a shoulder as well as an open mind could all go a long way...if not further than magic could.

Also, if you were someone who regularly worked with gods or totemic animals, you could pray to them on behalf of the person you're concerned about. Some people may not appreciate that, though, so I'd maybe ask about that too. I know some folks have prayed to God for my Salvation, for example...and that didn't feel too awesome to me, if you know what I mean hehe.

random417

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 01:42:00 pm »
Quote from: Airelinn;153321
I know some folks have prayed to God for my Salvation, for example...and that didn't feel too awesome to me, if you know what I mean hehe.

I'm also fortunate in a way with that one, in that I work in a Rosicrucian and Kabbalistic framework. In my own way, I work with the same God as most people that I'd approach in that way. Should've specified, sorry.
"Let it be that state of manyhood bound and loathing. So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is in every way perfect."

AL 1:42-44

endlessGalaxy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 03:00:28 pm »
Quote from: Airelinn;153321
I'm certainly not an expert in any respect, but in the case of emotional healing, I would consider casting spells or magic to be as invasive as if it were for physical use. However, sending along generally positive vibes, meditating on their well being, and letting them know you're there for them and lending a shoulder as well as an open mind could all go a long way...if not further than magic could.

Also, if you were someone who regularly worked with gods or totemic animals, you could pray to them on behalf of the person you're concerned about. Some people may not appreciate that, though, so I'd maybe ask about that too. I know some folks have prayed to God for my Salvation, for example...and that didn't feel too awesome to me, if you know what I mean hehe.

I like the idea of positive vibes.  In this instance, it's a friend of my boyfriend's.  He (my boyfriend) is watching his friend spiral and feels there isn't anything he can do.  Maybe there's something I can do for my boyfriend to help him help his friend?

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 03:40:23 pm »
Quote from: endlessGalaxy;153317

I'd get consent for that, too, for all of the same reasons that Sage and Naomi mentioned. I don't think that influencing a person's emotions without their knowledge or consent is any less invasive or potentially damaging.

I get that you want to help, but I really don't think that using magic is the best way to go about it.

Ai

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:19:44 pm »
Quote from: endlessGalaxy;153326
I like the idea of positive vibes.  In this instance, it's a friend of my boyfriend's.  He (my boyfriend) is watching his friend spiral and feels there isn't anything he can do.  Maybe there's something I can do for my boyfriend to help him help his friend?
I think there are a couple of things you could do here, using both magic and good ole human compassion.
If your boyfriend is open to it, you could do a spell to give him strength to "carry" another, to be brave enough to speak, and open minded enough to hear what is said to him, etc.
Then both of you can meditate on compassion and sympathy and from there just help by listening and being unconditional (and unafraid of a little confrontation-can be hard to tell a friend your concerns about them and they may get defensive).

That might sound kind of dorky, but it's all I've got lol. XP

endlessGalaxy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 06:21:25 pm »
Quote from: Airelinn;153333
I think there are a couple of things you could do here, using both magic and good ole human compassion.
If your boyfriend is open to it, you could do a spell to give him strength to "carry" another, to be brave enough to speak, and open minded enough to hear what is said to him, etc.
Then both of you can meditate on compassion and sympathy and from there just help by listening and being unconditional (and unafraid of a little confrontation-can be hard to tell a friend your concerns about them and they may get defensive).

That might sound kind of dorky, but it's all I've got lol. XP

I might give that a try!  I'll see if he's open to that.  After reading everyone's responses I'm definitely apprehensive about healing without the other person's knowledge.  I'll send some good vibes his way and focus on some other aspects for now.

Freesia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:42 pm »
Quote from: endlessGalaxy;153326

You could get him a present or invite him over for dinner. Sometimes people need to feel special and hot food is my version of magic.

Tags: