collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Experiences With Manannan?  (Read 2100 times)

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: shapeshifting, witchery, polytheism. under endless construction.
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Experiences With Manannan?
« on: July 17, 2014, 09:48:31 pm »
Are there any favorite stories or UPG of Manannan Mac Lír you guys are willing to share?

It's kind of a broad request, I know, but I'd really love to read your replies!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Experiences With Manannan?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 10:09:38 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;153203
Are there any favorite stories or UPG of Manannan Mac Lír you guys are willing to share?

This is three years old but you might be interested in this blog post I wrote about getting to know Him.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:19:15 pm »
Quote from: Sage;153206
This is three years old but you might be interested in this blog post I wrote about getting to know Him.

This is wonderful. Do you mind if I share it elsewhere? (on tumblr :whis:)
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." - Hemingway

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:52:54 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;153211
This is wonderful. Do you mind if I share it elsewhere? (on tumblr :whis:)

Go right ahead! :D I did one for Lugh too and had intended to make similar entries for all the TDD.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Lysana

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 12:32:53 am »

It's kind of hard to follow up on that blog post. It covered quite a lot about Him and even threw you some great links. I do have other things to add, though.

His other name is Oirbsen mac Alloth. As memory serves, that name means "great flood, son of the inundation." This link gets into the fact some of the myth claims there were four of Him, though that gets deeper into whether the Christians were trying to humanize him as they did many of the gods as time progressed (the rest they subsumed into the saints).

Other bits... The residents of the Isle of Man still pay Him rent every Midsummer (Manannán means Manx man, and his name there is Manannan Beg Mac Y Leirr which means Little Manxman, son of Leirr [Lir]). The rent is a bundle of rushes, so it's not that hard to keep up. It's a clear survival from pagan times, which tickles me to no small end.

He's my Patron, so I'm really glad to see this thread about Him.

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 12:48:05 am »
Quote from: Lysana;153214
It's kind of hard to follow up on that blog post. It covered quite a lot about Him and even threw you some great links. I do have other things to add, though.

His other name is Oirbsen mac Alloth. As memory serves, that name means "great flood, son of the inundation." This link gets into the fact some of the myth claims there were four of Him, though that gets deeper into whether the Christians were trying to humanize him as they did many of the gods as time progressed (the rest they subsumed into the saints).

Other bits... The residents of the Isle of Man still pay Him rent every Midsummer (Manannán means Manx man, and his name there is Manannan Beg Mac Y Leirr which means Little Manxman, son of Leirr [Lir]). The rent is a bundle of rushes, so it's not that hard to keep up. It's a clear survival from pagan times, which tickles me to no small end.

He's my Patron, so I'm really glad to see this thread about Him.

He's my Patron as well, (although it's a little more complicated than that...) so I'm kind of trying to start up some kind of thread of info and stories (not just myths) for other people. (And myself--it's bound to cheer me or somebody up on a bad day).

I really appreciate the information! Some of it I hadn't heard before, so that's pretty great right there. :)

What's your favorite myth?

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 03:27:53 am »

There are local myths/folklore in specific areas of Ireland that talk about Manannan in ways that generally don't get talked about online. F'ex, in the Beara peninsula he's said to be married to Cailleach Bhearra, whose name locally is Baoi. In her form as the Hag of Beara rock, she sits on a cliff and waits forever for his return to her. My favourite modern reworking of the myth is a collection of poetry that reworks them into a fisherman and his wife. http://www.inpressbooks.co.uk/publishers/bloodaxe-books/cailleach-the-hag-of-beara-1/
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 01:22:44 pm »
Quote from: Naomi J;153220
F'ex, in the Beara peninsula he's said to be married to Cailleach Bhearra, whose name locally is Baoi.[/URL]

Oooh, I have never heard of this before. Are there resources I can check out to read more about this?
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 01:28:32 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;153241
Oooh, I have never heard of this before. Are there resources I can check out to read more about this?

Not beyond occasional references. I grew up knowing about this myth and didn't realise how localised it was until later. There's a very brief mentions in Legendary Ireland by Eithne Massey (has a chapter on the Beara peninsula). All the other references I've encountered are folkloric and local, though. But check out the poetry book I mentioned above for some of that oral tradition reworked.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Lysana

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 02:46:34 pm »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;153215
He's my Patron as well, (although it's a little more complicated than that...) so I'm kind of trying to start up some kind of thread of info and stories (not just myths) for other people. (And myself--it's bound to cheer me or somebody up on a bad day).

I really appreciate the information! Some of it I hadn't heard before, so that's pretty great right there. :)

What's your favorite myth?

Oh, I hear you on the "a little more complicated than that." Dare I breathe the word godspouse? I do dare. ;)

I love the tale of Manannán teaching Cormac mac Airt a few things about wisdom and leadership. Granted, he kidnapped the man's wife and children to do it, but some lessons come hard.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 08:28:27 pm »

There are more things that I am not willing to share than things that I am, but I find that in my darkest hours, when I am most in need of knowing that there is "someone" that gives a shit about me, he seems to show up in some way. He seems to give me pushes and nudges and then just leaves it alone until I need another push or nudge.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 09:42:49 pm »
Quote from: Lysana;153424

I love the tale of Manannán teaching Cormac mac Airt a few things about wisdom and leadership. Granted, he kidnapped the man's wife and children to do it, but some lessons come hard.

I'm actually in the middle of that right now. I read a lot a long time ago, but then life got intensely busy. It's only just calmed down enough that I can really get into the legends as much as I'd like. Do you have any good resources I could check out for extensive myth reading? ...this goes for anyone with a suggestion. I'd love to learn as much as I possibly can--while we've worked together for the past six months or so, I'd like to go deeper and I feel like I haven't learned enough to do so.

(By the way, thanks to Naomi J for the book recommendation. I'll try to find it at the library--it looks amazing!)

Lysana

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 12:43:17 am »
Quote from: HarpingHawke;153477
I'm actually in the middle of that right now. I read a lot a long time ago, but then life got intensely busy. It's only just calmed down enough that I can really get into the legends as much as I'd like. Do you have any good resources I could check out for extensive myth reading?

The Temple of Manannán has an extensive collection of His stories from Ireland and the Isle of Man as well as rituals and artwork. I adore it to ribbons.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 01:01:43 am »
Quote from: Lysana;153499
The Temple of Manannán has an extensive collection of His stories from Ireland and the Isle of Man as well as rituals and artwork. I adore it to ribbons.

I was just gonna post a link to that site.

One of my most favouritist websites on the whole massive world wide web!
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

HarpingHawke

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 07:20:44 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;153502

One of my most favouritist websites on the whole massive world wide web!

I certainly agree with you there. :)

Tags: