collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Study Group!  (Read 7146 times)

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Undefined
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Study Group!
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:38:29 pm »
Me and another member had an idea, and we've gotten approval from the SIG staff for this as well!

I was thinking, to help bring up activity, and make it easier on the kemetic newbies who're trying to learn, that we form a study group. For this group, we can create certain times of the week that we go into the CauldronMUX in another room, and discuss topics that each of us have spent time researching. If anybody is interested in this, we can get together on skype, and drum up a list of topics to use weekly. Also! If enough people do not have a MUX account, we can meet up on another chat system, until members have MUX accounts made. I'd really prefer we do our meeting on MUX, so requesting accounts to be made is important.

I'm thinking, that during the discussion, somebody can take notes of all the information shared and post it in the SIG to run it by the more experienced members to check for clarification, or if there is a difference in information for the group.

This way, we all can help each other study more, and enrich our spiritual practices by learning together. What we take away, we can use in our personal lives to bring us closer to our spirituality. The group will be a study group only, how ever, I feel I need to point this out.

Is anybody interested in joining?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:40:13 pm by Raine »
Undefined religion | Parrot Mom | Disaster Reservist

acidrica

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Study Group!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:45:31 pm »
Quote from: Raine;152860
Me and another member had an idea, and we've gotten approval from the SIG staff for this as well!

I was thinking, to help bring up activity, and make it easier on the kemetic newbies who're trying to learn, that we form a study group. For this group, we can create certain times of the week that we go into the CauldronMUX in another room, and discuss topics that each of us have spent time researching. If anybody is interested in this, we can get together on skype, and drum up a list of topics to use weekly. Also! If enough people do not have a MUX account, we can meet up on another chat system, until members have MUX accounts made. I'd really prefer we do our meeting on MUX, so requesting accounts to be made is important.

I'm thinking, that during the discussion, somebody can take notes of all the information shared and post it in the SIG to run it by the more experienced members to check for clarification, or if there is a difference in information for the group.

This way, we all can help each other study more, and enrich our spiritual practices by learning together. What we take away, we can use in our personal lives to bring us closer to our spirituality. The group will be a study group only, how ever, I feel I need to point this out.

I'm definitely interested, being the 'other member' mentioned. To clarify, certain texts aren't really required, are they? I think savvy googling would be enough.

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 06:49:10 pm »
Quote from: acidrica;152931
I'm definitely interested, being the 'other member' mentioned. To clarify, certain texts aren't really required, are they? I think savvy googling would be enough.

Not at all. It's essentially, "Using all your available resources". So, if you have access to a book, you can pull information from there and share with the group. It can help a lot of members in deciding if they want to spend money on books as well.

The whole point is to bring together people who don't know as much as they wish they did, and work at trying to get accurate information spread around.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 06:59:24 pm »

I don't know if I can help much with planning but I wouldn't mind peeking my head in every so often if you all don't mind my ramblings. :)
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 09:29:26 pm »

If the chat times aren't too inconvenient, I might stick my head in too, every now and then. It's always good to share research notes with people as we don't all have access to the same things.

Maybe we should use a shared GDoc or wiki or something else like that to collate our notes, like we add them before or after each chat, so it becomes a shared resource?
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:31:02 pm »
Quote from: Sage;152933
I don't know if I can help much with planning but I wouldn't mind peeking my head in every so often if you all don't mind my ramblings. :)

We'd love to have you rambling with us, Sage. Me and Acidrica went and developed a rough topic list, to be covered over time. We've been thinking of setting it up in such a way that the group meets at times that work for everybody, and they do some research on the topic before hand. Every member shares what they've found, either in books or on the internet, and then there is a discussion. Somebody (can be a different person every time) Takes notes and then puts them on the SIG to clarify with the SIG's genius members. If the information is inaccurate, we change it.

Quote from: cymrudraco;152939
If the chat times aren't too inconvenient, I might stick my head in too, every now and then. It's always good to share research notes with people as we don't all have access to the same things.

Maybe we should use a shared GDoc or wiki or something else like that to collate our notes, like we add them before or after each chat, so it becomes a shared resource?

I *adore* this idea. What we come up with, once it's run through the check in the SIG, can be put into a specific Kemetic SIG wiki, this way there is an accurate source to link to for when newer people come in, and the group has covered all it can. This really can be a collaboration between new and older members.

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:57:28 pm »
Quote from: Raine;152941

I *adore* this idea. What we come up with, once it's run through the check in the SIG, can be put into a specific Kemetic SIG wiki, this way there is an accurate source to link to for when newer people come in, and the group has covered all it can. This really can be a collaboration between new and older members.

Do you think it's worth having a practical aspect to it as well? Like, not just studying various topics, but also playing around with prayer and ritual, and making a larger compendium of beginner exercises/rituals/practices to offer to new Kemetics, so they've got something to start with?
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 11:05:27 am »
Quote from: cymrudraco;152939

Please do.  That's an excellent use of the forum wiki!

In fact, here, I made y'all a placeholder:
http://ecauldron.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Kemetic+SIG+study+group
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 02:28:23 pm »
Quote from: cymrudraco;152945
Do you think it's worth having a practical aspect to it as well? Like, not just studying various topics, but also playing around with prayer and ritual, and making a larger compendium of beginner exercises/rituals/practices to offer to new Kemetics, so they've got something to start with?

Hmmm.. I'm okay with doing that after key concepts were covered, but I'd be opposed to it heading in any sort of direction where it becomes it's own established sect of Kemeticism, in the sense of something as large as KO. I'd rather encourage accurate information, and the ability to do and think for yourself in order to help a personal practice.

I'm not opposed to forming a small group of people who pool together their own religious experiences in a context not quite that of a study group, however, but I'd like it to be separate from the study group. I'm having word difficulties trying to explain exactly what I mean here, in a way that makes sense in an accurate way.

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 06:39:11 pm »

For various reasons I don't use online chat, but this sounds like a great idea. If I can find a non-real-time way to participate, I would love to do so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 06:54:57 pm »
Quote from: Raine;152991
Hmmm.. I'm okay with doing that after key concepts were covered, but I'd be opposed to it heading in any sort of direction where it becomes it's own established sect of Kemeticism, in the sense of something as large as KO. I'd rather encourage accurate information, and the ability to do and think for yourself in order to help a personal practice.

I'm not opposed to forming a small group of people who pool together their own religious experiences in a context not quite that of a study group, however, but I'd like it to be separate from the study group. I'm having word difficulties trying to explain exactly what I mean here, in a way that makes sense in an accurate way.

Raine, I'm having a hard time understanding your leap from cymrudraco's comment to this potential study group becoming an "established sect" of Kemeticism. Exploring a ritual (or, as cyrmudraco put it, practical) aspect within the context of a study group does not a religious tradition make.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 07:11:16 pm »
Quote from: Sage;153012
Raine, I'm having a hard time understanding your leap from cymrudraco's comment to this potential study group becoming an "established sect" of Kemeticism. Exploring a ritual (or, as cyrmudraco put it, practical) aspect within the context of a study group does not a religious tradition make.

Yeah, I will agree my jump was a little weird, but I was concerned that it'd eventually be heading into that kind of way if newer Kemetics started taking it as the be-all-end-all way to be Kemetic. I was thinking very long term right there, but I do know that sometimes when one is new, they may misunderstand. It's a wonderful idea so long as when it gets to the wiki, it's very clear it's to be a helpful starting point.

I know, when I was a super brand new Kemetic, I would have taken information like that and thought it was the absolute way to do it, or misunderstand the information being there as something *this* particular SIG all does, and therefore I should too.

Does that make more sense? I could have used the wrong words when I said "Sect of Kemeticism", but I was trying to get across the way that newer members may misunderstand it.

baduhmtisss

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 07:22:04 pm »
Quote from: Sefiru;153009
For various reasons I don't use online chat, but this sounds like a great idea. If I can find a non-real-time way to participate, I would love to do so.

I do have an idea how you can participate, if you use the PM system. I, or another member can PM you the topic for the week or every two weeks (however the members would like to set it up), and then you can do your research, share it with somebody and they can bring it up on your behalf? Or, alternatively, we can bring it up what you've researched, and then somebody can save all the chat logs, and shoot you an email with it?

Sobekemiti

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 09:48:47 pm »
Quote from: Raine;152991

No, that's not what I was trying to suggest at all. More a pooling of what we've got, and maybe making some of those practices and rituals more available for beginners in one place, along with our notes. I wasn't aiming to create a new sect, just offer some Kemetic 101 resources for the site, so that when we get someone new coming along asking where to begin, we've got something to offer them. I never intended to imply it would be anything more than a starting point, something to get them started while they study and practice and work out what they want for themselves.

But if it's too far outside the scope of what you were looking for, then that's fine. I'm just trying to get a handle on what you had in mind for us to study, that's all. Do we want to do just historical topics, or more religious topics? There's a LOT we could study in a group like this.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:57:18 pm by Sobekemiti »

Alva

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 10:27:53 pm »

This sounds perfect for a newb like me. I'm VERY interested!!

Tags: