"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: I'm Having Trouble With Herbs?  (Read 2313 times)

Demeter Hedgewitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'm Having Trouble With Herbs?
« on: July 02, 2014, 05:09:21 pm »
I've had this problem since the beginning. Herbs is my weakness and I can't remember all the info. Any advice on herbs and how to remember them? I could really use it.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Having Trouble With Herbs?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:25:46 pm »
Quote from: Demeter Hedgewitch;152055
I've had this problem since the beginning. Herbs is my weakness and I can't remember all the info. Any advice on herbs and how to remember them? I could really use it.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here? Could you expand on it please? (I have lots of thoughts, but I don't know which ones would be useful.)
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 06:13:32 pm »

Keep a notebook?

I actually have a spreadsheet myself so I can cross reference and don't need to rely on memory for the ones I don't use that often.

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 12:34:42 am »

While it's not ALWAYS this way, most herbs have the same-ish qualities across the board- eg a herb that helps you sleep might symbolize peace when used in charms.

I find writing out note cards helpful to memorize. I also keep sheets on associations for animals and stuff and add more answers to it as I go on. The writing helps to memorize it and also gives you memories in your own wording instead of 'what did Cunningham say again...?'

Also, remember that while right now you probably want to learn conventional definitions, a lot of work you will be doing is personal. Other than in consumables (in which case, make sure it's safe and safely sourced and so on), you may end up finding your own uses and associations for certain herbs.

Also also, don't stress too much about it. Most of the time, you will not be quizzed on them or need them memorized. It's useful to, but it's not something to force and stress about.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 12:35:26 am »

Do you mean how to remember their properties and associations? Because man oh man alive, I cannot personally remember them all! I just know the ones I use repeatedly. For the rest I buy books and keep lists.

ALiteraryLady

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 10:19:23 am »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;152107
Do you mean how to remember their properties and associations? Because man oh man alive, I cannot personally remember them all! I just know the ones I use repeatedly. For the rest I buy books and keep lists.

*points above* This is where I'm coming from with herbs too. I'd recommend a couple good books and some tabs marking herbs that you are trying to make yourself familiar with. If there are studying techniques that tend to work better for you I'd use those versus trying a method that doesn't work.

You could also try investing in a herbal field guide so you have pictures of various herbs and you can visually make yourself familiar with them, then supplement it with a magical herb book. Also try walking in a park near you and taking the field guide or your trusty notes (once created that is) and identifying them during your walk. I know that I tend to learn better when I'm experiencing the information versus just making a chart.

Good Luck!

Scales

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 12:57:28 pm »
Quote from: ALiteraryLady;152146
Also try walking in a park near you and taking the field guide or your trusty notes (once created that is) and identifying them during your walk. I know that I tend to learn better when I'm experiencing the information versus just making a chart.

If you are on a walk and didn't think to carry them, you can also pick a couple things to bring home and see if you were right in identifying them on your walk.
(of course that's if it's not in a park or protected or otherwise a bad idea to pick (nettle has many useful properties, but don't pick it up on a walk))

Demeter Hedgewitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:40:20 pm »
Quote from: Mama Fortuna;152107

What you said is exactly what I mean. Thanks for the advice and it looks like I'm going notebook buying.

CailinRua

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 02:58:23 pm »
Quote from: Demeter Hedgewitch;152604
What you said is exactly what I mean. Thanks for the advice and it looks like I'm going notebook buying.

I would definitely recommend hands on interaction. I had problems remembering early on also, and no amount of reading helped me remember as it is sort of out of context if you arent *doing*  it.Read to learn to identify things, but then go out and find them. Go on walks to identify as much as you can (with a field guide for convenient double checking if you want), pick them, study the leaves and the smell. Go back during different seasons and see what they look like in different stages of growth. Its really the best way, You start remembering because you have real life sights and smells and textures to associate with it, then other knowledge you gain through reading about whatever plants you are studying are simply attached to the experiences you've already had and you dont have to play a memorizing game for every new bit of info.  Notebooks as mentioned are also a fine idea. I can also say from experience that it is a much more fulfilling thing to go out and meet them and learn where they grow, what they like, what creatures like them, companion plants, etc. and take part in it in a much more tangible way, it is also kind of the point if you intend to put your knowledge to use, yeah? Just my thoughts, hope its helpful !

Tags: