collapse

Author Topic: Kids and ghosts  (Read 4302 times)

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Kids and ghosts
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:59:13 am »
Assuming you believe in spirits and paranormal entities...

If your kid were to complain about monsters in their closet/under their bed/outside the window/in the dark, would you just say 'There's no such thing as ghosts'?

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: Kids and ghosts
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 09:02:53 am »
Quote from: treekisser;14753

If your kid were to complain about monsters in their closet/under their bed/outside the window/in the dark, would you just say 'There's no such thing as ghosts'?

No, we just throw them out the window.

Quite seriously, we throw them ALL out the window.  Ghosts, monsters, ticklemonsters (a big problem in this house for some reason!) ... anything that doesn't belong.  Some nights we go through his room two or three times to throw everything out the window.

*shrug* it works!

Jubes

• Staff
  • Location: Overlooking the bottom of a lake and the beginning of a river....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:22:32 am »

Nope  here they are called   the invisible  people for the most  part  only  2 out of 4  kids  see them and  we try to figure out who they are. I tell them they have a gift and  they should  use it properly.
Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:50:17 am »

If they were frendly they could stay, if they were in any way scary they were chased out of the house with banging pot and pans. They scary ones hate the noise of pots and pans banging together.:D:

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:20:06 pm »

We used to put them in the Monster Box every night.

I took a small chest that had a lock and key and we would gather up all the monsters, ghosts, etc. for the night with the understanding that "if they were good overnight" my son would open the box in the morning and let them out again.  I liken it to crating dogs as night.

It worked like a charm.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 04:49:50 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;14754
No, we just throw them out the window.

:eek:

But don't they just come in again?

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »
Quote from: Jubes;14757
Nope  here they are called   the invisible  people for the most  part  only  2 out of 4  kids  see them and  we try to figure out who they are. I tell them they have a gift and  they should  use it properly.

This sounds interesting - the kids actually see people and aren't just generically scared of stuff in the dark?

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 04:52:46 pm »
Quote from: Wood Rose;14763
If they were frendly they could stay, if they were in any way scary they were chased out of the house with banging pot and pans. They scary ones hate the noise of pots and pans banging together.:D:

Heh. Noise always makes me feel better, and I used to leave the TV on if I was alone. That was until I saw The Ring. :(

treekisser

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:53:40 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;14788

I took a small chest that had a lock and key and we would gather up all the monsters, ghosts, etc. for the night with the understanding that "if they were good overnight" my son would open the box in the morning and let them out again.  I liken it to crating dogs as night.

Lol I like this but it sounds really cruel to the ghosts!

Jubes

• Staff
  • Location: Overlooking the bottom of a lake and the beginning of a river....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:06:56 pm »
Quote from: treekisser;14858
This sounds interesting - the kids actually see people and aren't just generically scared of stuff in the dark?

OH it is  interesting  around here, in case I  haven't  mentioned it  enough  my kids are  weird. My  son  used to watch  Garfield with  the  " tea lady"  turns out it  was my   Grandmother whom passed  away when he was  6 weeks old, he  identified  her  from  pictures when  he was  around 5 or 6  years old. My  aunt  passed away  when he was about  7 ish  and  he used to  come  home from school and  run to his room to  play with " Auntie Mug" . Recently  my  oldest,  ( you all know her as Ladybug)  came and told me about the  grandfatherly  man  who was standing at the foot of her  bed when she woke up, she identified  the man as  my  Great  Uncle  Lonnie  form  a picture. We figured  he was just  popping over to say   "Hi"  as it was  his son that  had a  heart attack and  was in a coma for  almost a week before  passing away. We are not to sure  about Sam  thou  cuz sometimes we think she  just  simply  see's  things that are just  not there at all, I am pretty  sure it's  related to  her  meds. They are  not afraid of  anything  that  goes bump in the night  but  gods  help them if they see a spider  or  bee  all  heck  breaks loose.
Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 05:16:58 pm »
Quote from: Jubes;14870
OH it is  interesting  around here, in case I  haven't  mentioned it  enough  my kids are  weird. My  son  used to watch  Garfield with  the  " tea lady"  turns out it  was my   Grandmother whom passed  away when he was  6 weeks old, he  identified  her  from  pictures when  he was  around 5 or 6  years old. My  aunt  passed away  when he was about  7 ish  and  he used to  come  home from school and  run to his room to  play with " Auntie Mug" . Recently  my  oldest,  ( you all know her as Ladybug)  came and told me about the  grandfatherly  man  who was standing at the foot of her  bed when she woke up, she identified  the man as  my  Great  Uncle  Lonnie  form  a picture. We figured  he was just  popping over to say   "Hi"  as it was  his son that  had a  heart attack and  was in a coma for  almost a week before  passing away. We are not to sure  about Sam  thou  cuz sometimes we think she  just  simply  see's  things that are just  not there at all, I am pretty  sure it's  related to  her  meds. They are  not afraid of  anything  that  goes bump in the night  but  gods  help them if they see a spider  or  bee  all  heck  breaks loose.

My son had Robin, I never found out who that was. We had to set a place for Robin to eat. Robin would follow us all over town on his motorcycle. Then when I could no longer take living in an abusive situation and movie across country half way there K was waving out the back window. When I asked him what he was doing he told me that he was saying good by to Robin. Robin told him that he was going to be ok now and another kid needed his help. That was the last we saw of Robin.  I kind of miss him.

Aisling

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan Witch
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 06:30:39 pm »
They are  not afraid of  anything  that  goes bump in the night  but  gods  help them if they see a spider  or  bee  all  heck  breaks loose.

Funnily enough, I'm the same way... at least when it comes to spiders. :D:

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -
Neil deGrasse Tyson

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 06:33:02 pm »
Quote from: treekisser;14856
:eek:

But don't they just come in again?

Yes, but then we tell them to go away.  And they listen.

Or I will throw them out a second time!

hufflee

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 06:54:56 pm »

My oldest seems to see "people" but it has always been during the day. They have never bothered him at bedtime. I suppose if the situation ever did occur, I would have him just tell them to go away because it was time for him to go to sleep. If that didn't work, I kind of like HeartShadow's out the window technique. I can guarantee my son would like it. :D:
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change - Unknown
"This [the Irish] is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."
Sigmund Freud (My Irish heart is laughing)

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 07:30:29 pm »
. Recently  my  oldest,  ( you all know her as Ladybug)

My husband (and therefore yours) used to have a family ghost they called Friendly Henry.  DH believes Ladybug inherited him.  When she was about three we went out of your house and left the front door open.  We realized when we were on the lawn that she was heading for the door, and the three concrete steps under it, at top speed.  We couldn't have made it in time but the door swung shut on it's own and trapped her in the sun porch.  We've never seen that door move on its own before or since.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Tags: