Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Honouring?  (Read 2840 times)

Alchemist

• View Profile
Re: Honouring?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 04:20:43 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;151669
Pretty much :)

Ok, thanks for all your help.

Quote from: acidrica;151732
I'm not well versed in Asatru, but I can give a (possibly wrong) Kemetic perspective if you'd like. Some people feel pulled towards a few specific gods or a god/ess for no real reason, some feel pulled because of that god's attitude, role in the myths, role in the pantheon, ect. Though I'd like to point out that, at least for the netjeru (ancient Egyptian gods), many gods have/had different 'functions' and many of them would overlap. For example, there were multiple gods associated with magic, each of them distinct. That could be because the different areas of Egypt had different gods they worshiped, or different ways of seeing them, but I still find it helpful to think of them more as 'personalities' than as 'functions'. This is just my perspective though, and I could be way off the mark.

You'll also find people who feel as if they got whacked over the head by a god or gods with a 'clue-by-four'. So, uh, don't feel intimidated by people saying they're 'god-bothered' or such. Such a thing isn't exactly the norm, as much as it may seem like it is. You aren't doing anything wrong if a god isn't 'claiming' you in that way. Everyone's experience of the divine is different. Some people have different experiences at different times.

A lot of pagans do basically worship only one or a few gods, but a lot have other ways of doing things, as has been said further up the thread.

Personally, I have a few deities I honor specifically and feel that I have a 'relationship' with (not like...a romantic relationship or anything that normally comes to mind when people use that word, but a feeling of having been led by those deities and the feeling that they accept that I worship them). There are other deities I still honor, but I don't really have the same sort of feeling towards them.

I uh, hope that helped and wasn't too rambly. I sort of just woke up.

Thanks, that seems to be roughly the same idea that I've garnered from previous responses + other reading.

Quote from: Holdasown;151751
Sorry if I sound mean wasn't trying too. There are those in the community I am in who view patrons and working with one deity more than others as Christian and are really bad about insulting those who do. I think it's only nature for warriors to honor a warrior god and farmers a fertility god.

It's fine, I don't think people in general try to be mean, more just that in text-only communication all the little nuances like inflection and body language are lost, and with it intentions can become murky.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 07:43:10 pm »
Quote from: Alchemist;151437
Sorry, I missed this earlier (only just figured out how the multi-quote here works) - thanks.

Though there are times when the multiquote is really useful, we actually prefer for people to make separate responses to each post. It's a matter of which approach makes the conversations easiest to follow (so the main time to use multiquote is if you're making a single response in reply to two or more posts, because breaking it down into separate responses would make it less comprehensible).

This does mean you'll often be making two or three (and sometimes more) replies in succession, but unlike many forums, we don't have any rules or customs against 'doubleposting'; we're fine with it and often, as I said above, prefer it.

Sunflower
TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

70sWoodstock

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 09:45:36 am »
Quote from: Alchemist;151358
I've seen a few people across the internet talk of honouring specific gods, and worshipping that one god.

Wow, this was a very informative conversation to follow. As a new pagan, it really triggered my interest in learning more about deities and trying to find a few that I can develop relationship with. Thank you for allowing me to eavesdrop.

Tags: