collapse

Author Topic: How Might We Reconcile Pagan Spirituality with Modern Science?  (Read 8753 times)

pkanella

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deiwos.org/
I was raised to be a skeptic, and yet I feel powerfully drawn to pagan spirituality.  Is there a satisfactory way to reconcile empirical science with the actual existence of living, breathing pagan goddesses and gods?  Some science-fiction writer could probably pull it off, but would such deities be suitable for sincere belief?  Regardless, are these even meaningful questions to pose?

Allaya

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Idio-syncretic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Re: How Might We Reconcile Pagan Spirituality with Modern Science?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:04:29 am »
Quote from: pkanella;150982
I was raised to be a skeptic, and yet I feel powerfully drawn to pagan spirituality.  Is there a satisfactory way to reconcile empirical science with the actual existence of living, breathing pagan goddesses and gods?  Some science-fiction writer could probably pull it off, but would such deities be suitable for sincere belief?  Regardless, are these even meaningful questions to pose?

Reconciling science and pagan spirituality is something I have grappled with a great deal. After torturing my brain trying to make it work, I'm no longer sure it can be done.

I also don't believe that 'pagan spirituality' requires deities, so there's that. Not sure if that muddies the matter.
Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  — Shirley Chisholm
No doubt the truth can be unpleasant, but I am not sure that unpleasantness is the same as the truth.  — Roger Ebert
It is difficult to get a person to understand something when their livelihood depends upon them not understanding it. — Upton Sinclair (adapted)
People cannot be reasoned out of an opinion that they have not reasoned themselves into. — Fisher Ames (adapted)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:15:08 am »
I was raised to be a skeptic, and yet I feel powerfully drawn to pagan spirituality.  Is there a satisfactory way to reconcile empirical science with the actual existence of living, breathing pagan goddesses and gods?

As most Pagan deities are limited (i.e. not all-good, all-powerful, all-knowing, all-etc.) they are much easier to reconcile with science than the JCI God, especially if you remember that mythology is not intended as literal, historical, or scientific truth, but rather only as true stories about the nature of deities and their relationship with humankind.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:30:56 am »

Great questions, IMHO.

I'm probably in a similar place as you, in that I'm a hard science guy. For me, it's about holding two conceptions of reality in one's head simultaneously; the empirical reality and the metaphorical reality. One is a matter of fact, and the other is about connection, appreciation, how we relate to the world around us on a deep emotional level.

Ideally, the two conceptions inform each other. For example, in the moon myth I subscribe to, to dispel humanity's fear of the dark and death, the moon goddess turns her face forever towards us to keep watch on us (the moon's period of rotation and revolution are the same, so that the same side always faces the Earth); she commands the waters to rise up to send her boat into the sky where her lamp can light the dark (the moon's gravitation is responsible for Earth's oceans' tides); and she gives up her immortality to monthly age and die, only to be reborn, to show us that new life comes from death (the phases of the moon).

Obviously, none of that is literally true. But the tale says something to me, reflects truths about me, the universe around me, and the forces that run through us that I can hardly grasp except to conceive of them in metaphors like these. So when I look at the moon, yes, I know it's a natural satellite approx. 3,475 km in diameter. But that doesn't alter the thrill I feel, the visceral wonder. The myth reflects that and gives it some context.

But I'm not a hard polytheist. My approach to deity is perhaps more metaphorical than most.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:32:59 am »
Quote from: Altair;151002
Great questions, IMHO.

P.S. What doesn't work for me is magic. In almost all cases, my hard science brain just can't accept it. So that's not a part of my pagan spirituality.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

pkanella

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:39:28 am »
Quote from: Allaya;150998
Reconciling science and pagan spirituality is something I have grappled with a great deal. After torturing my brain trying to make it work, I'm no longer sure it can be done.

I’ve thought a lot about this question too, and I believe the best chance for reconciliation may be to place the birth of the goddesses and gods in the technologically advanced distant future, billions of years from now, rather than the distant past.  From there, they could then range freely through time.

Quote from: Allaya;150998
I also don't believe that 'pagan spirituality' requires deities, so there's that. Not sure if that muddies the matter.

This hadn’t occurred to me, and it seems like it could make reconciliation MUCH easier.  How might this work?  I’d love to hear your thoughts about this possibility.

pkanella

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:52:17 am »
Quote from: RandallS;151001
As most Pagan deities are limited (i.e. not all-good, all-powerful, all-knowing, all-etc.) they are much easier to reconcile with science than the JCI God, especially if you remember that mythology is not intended as literal, historical, or scientific truth, but rather only as true stories about the nature of deities and their relationship with humankind.

Yes, I’m reminded of some things Joseph Campbell said about myths.  On the one hand, he claimed that a living myth was one that was consistent with the science of the day.  And yet, on the other hand, he described the way primal cultures held a “belief that was not quite belief” — that is, just as you described, not literally true, but rather poetically true.

pkanella

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 09:01:52 am »
Quote from: Altair;151002
For example, in the moon myth I subscribe to, to dispel humanity's fear of the dark and death, the moon goddess turns her face forever towards us to keep watch on us (the moon's period of rotation and revolution are the same, so that the same side always faces the Earth); she commands the waters to rise up to send her boat into the sky where her lamp can light the dark (the moon's gravitation is responsible for Earth's oceans' tides); and she gives up her immortality to monthly age and die, only to be reborn, to show us that new life comes from death (the phases of the moon).

If I may say, this is a beautiful myth!  It’s tempting to describe this story as literally true, without any qualification.  I’ve read a LOT of mythology, and I can’t recall encountering a lovelier myth involving the moon, and I don’t know if I’ll ever look at the moon the same way again.  Thank you for sharing!

pkanella

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 09:16:49 am »
Quote from: Altair;151003
P.S. What doesn't work for me is magic. In almost all cases, my hard science brain just can't accept it. So that's not a part of my pagan spirituality.

I’m here reminded of Arthur C. Clarke’s Third Law: “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic”, although he’s obviously referring to an advanced, space-faring civilization, not to 21st-century pagans.  :)

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 09:37:39 am »

I am a hard polytheist and believe the gods exist on a different plane. On ours science works the way it does. On there's it works differently. When the Edda's talk about the creation of the nine worlds I don't believe Midgard is Earth. I believe Earth and Midgard share some land features and are somehow cosmically linked. That's why trees, mountains and rivers come up over and over again in myths. I don't mix my science and faith so I have no issue with some of what you asking.

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:30:46 am »

For there to be something to reconcile, I would have to perceive a conflict.  I find it actively difficult to respond to this sort of question because I don't understand what, precisely, the problem might be in the first place.  (I mean, problems get introduced when one tries to pass things through a mythological literalism filter, sure, but since that was invented in like the 1800s I don't see any reason to adapt it to ancient myths or modern ones.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 01:22:27 pm »

My thoughts are very much in line with what others have said in this thread so far -- especially Altair and Holdasown; and especially regarding myth, different "plains of existence" (for want of a better term), and sufficiently advanced technology (although I do believe cell phones are magic ;-)  ).  

I tend to view things through a lens attuned to symbolism and metaphor, but I'm also a slightly squishy polytheist.  I believe the gods do actually exist.  I think most of the concepts found in religion are true, for some value of "true".  

But really, what it comes down to for me is: Absence of proof is not proof of absence.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

pkanella

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 05:01:16 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;151014
For there to be something to reconcile, I would have to perceive a conflict.  I find it actively difficult to respond to this sort of question because I don't understand what, precisely, the problem might be in the first place.  (I mean, problems get introduced when one tries to pass things through a mythological literalism filter, sure, but since that was invented in like the 1800s I don't see any reason to adapt it to ancient myths or modern ones.)

We can probably agree that all myths are to be read poetically, rather than prosaically.  Where we might disagree, however, is that a distinction can be drawn between myths that are contradicted by empirical evidence (such as, say, the two beautiful creation myths from the book of Genesis), and myths that are supported by empirical evidence (such as the Big Bang Theory).  They’re all poetic myths, but some myths are more alive than others.  Now, if one experiences no conflict between pagan spirituality and science, then indeed no problem exists.  To many modern humans, however, for better or for worse, the conflict is actual.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 05:33:10 pm »
Quote from: pkanella;151024
 Now, if one experiences no conflict between pagan spirituality and science, then indeed no problem exists.  To many modern humans, however, for better or for worse, the conflict is actual.

Actually most pagans I have read or spoken to have no conflict between science and their spirituality. The only people I've ever met who see a conflict between their spirituality and science come from certain types of christian denominations
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 05:56:47 pm »
Quote from: pkanella;151024
Now, if one experiences no conflict between pagan spirituality and science, then indeed no problem exists.  To many modern humans, however, for better or for worse, the conflict is actual.

I've only met a few very fringey pagans who believe pagan mythology is literal.  Is there some secret enclave of fundie pagans I don't know about?

I'm not sure what you mean about pagan spirituality vs. science.  Spirituality and religion are not, in my experience, equivalent.

Brina

Tags: