Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Meditation and such  (Read 929 times)

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Meditation and such
« on: June 24, 2014, 01:41:30 am »
I am wanting to go on a small vacation this summer(ish). I am wanting to be taught meditation and so would like it to be based on that. I would prefer a few days where I could just relax afterwards or before. I seriously considered Vipssana (insight meditation) but the retreat is 10 days with no kinds of leisurely activities, no contact to the outside world, no Twitter, FB, Cauldron, no books, vegetarian diet, etc. I'm not quite sure I'm up for that grueling of a retreat and it would leave me no time at all for relaxing before or after since it lasts so long. I did look at a few pagan retreats but most are 1-3 days. Does anyone have any ideas? Where is not much of an issue as long as it's in the States. I checked a bit into some in MA so I could check out Salem but...same things basically. Any help please? Time is kind of an issue since some full quickly. I actually really need a meditation technique. An "all alone" vacation was a bonus. Kind of a one in a lifetime opportunity since I have four kids lol. Thanks guys.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
Re: Meditation and such
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:45:23 am »
Quote from: Aspiria;150869
I am wanting to go on a small vacation this summer(ish). I am wanting to be taught meditation and so would like it to be based on that. I would prefer a few days where I could just relax afterwards or before. I seriously considered Vipssana (insight meditation) but the retreat is 10 days with no kinds of leisurely activities, no contact to the outside world, no Twitter, FB, Cauldron, no books, vegetarian diet, etc. I'm not quite sure I'm up for that grueling of a retreat and it would leave me no time at all for relaxing before or after since it lasts so long. I did look at a few pagan retreats but most are 1-3 days. Does anyone have any ideas? Where is not much of an issue as long as it's in the States. I checked a bit into some in MA so I could check out Salem but...same things basically. Any help please? Time is kind of an issue since some full quickly. I actually really need a meditation technique. An "all alone" vacation was a bonus. Kind of a one in a lifetime opportunity since I have four kids lol. Thanks guys.

I did a search on the Omega Institute website for meditation workshops and came up with this list.

Good luck!
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

8BitLady

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 11:34:30 am »
Quote from: Aspiria;150869
I am wanting to go on a small vacation this summer(ish). I am wanting to be taught meditation and so would like it to be based on that. I would prefer a few days where I could just relax afterwards or before. [...]

You don't necessarily need a workshop to learn. I mean it could be helpful. But a simple technique I learned was Mindful Breathing, it may be something like Vispana meditation, but... here's the steps:

Sit quietly, take a few deep breaths, then just relax and focus on how your breathing feels; where do you feel it most?
Just gently paying attention to your breathing. When your mind wanders, just gently bring your attention back to your breathing.
It sometimes helps when you are not focusing on your breathing to label what your mind is doing; like 'thinking', 'worrying', 'remembering'...
and then bring your focus back to breathing...

Just go somewhere, maybe a place of nature, set up a time to practice meditating for a few days... That's it really.
I don't want you to waste money on something so simple as meditation...

Actually, if you have an Iphone, I have an app that can get you started. It's pretty neat...:
Stop, Breathe & Think

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 12:16:06 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;150898
I did a search on the Omega Institute website for meditation workshops and came up with this list.

Good luck!

Thank you for this. I will be checking!

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:30:18 pm »
Quote from: 8BitLady;150916
You don't necessarily need a workshop to learn. I mean it could be helpful. But a simple technique I learned was Mindful Breathing, it may be something like Vispana meditation, but... here's the steps:

Sit quietly, take a few deep breaths, then just relax and focus on how your breathing feels; where do you feel it most?
Just gently paying attention to your breathing. When your mind wanders, just gently bring your attention back to your breathing.
It sometimes helps when you are not focusing on your breathing to label what your mind is doing; like 'thinking', 'worrying', 'remembering'...
and then bring your focus back to breathing...

Just go somewhere, maybe a place of nature, set up a time to practice meditating for a few days... That's it really.
I don't want you to waste money on something so simple as meditation...

Actually, if you have an Iphone, I have an app that can get you started. It's pretty neat...:
Stop, Breathe & Think

I'll try this before hand. My counselor actually went and said he thought it would help me a lot he is just worried about the physical part as it involves hours of sitting. But I have such a chaotic life. Divorce (it's so hard) kids with issues like ADHD and bipolar, and crazy family. I'm selling my house and trying to move. There's always something going on plus my own medical issues. So I wanted to try.

It's a little daunting. It's a 10 day retreat with no outside contact. No phone, no games, no reading, constant sitting, etc. but it's free. Due to the donations of people who have already taken the course. There is one close but I think the next opening is aug or dec. such a long way off.

So if I decide to your technique hopefully helps in the meantime. I truly need something. I believe it's the foundation for shielding, centering, grounding and I can't do those either.

So thank you for the tips.

Tags: